2004 - 2008 F-150

Crap! My A/C is out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crap! My A/C is out!

Just in time for the summer.

My A/C would just shut off by itself a few times a year. I would just turn it back on and reset the temp and everything would be ok. It's been like that since I've purchased it new.

Today it shut off and I reset the temp and it didn't blow cold. So I shut it off. Went to pickup something at Best Buy. Came out, started the truck and now the A/C module won't even turn on.

Where should I start? Any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance. BTW I just took the truck in to check the A/C for the summer (it was the first system check since ownership) and they said it was okay. Ran fine for a few weeks and now this.

EDIT: Looks like my control unit flickers on and off constantly. Discovered this when I had to turn on my lights in the dark. Can anyone point me in the right direction or make a suggestion on where to start to fix this?

Last edited by TNoff; 06-29-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
bump for edit and posts.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
ok well looked through Chilton's yesterday and didn't find any diagram of the AC system. Just instructions on how to fix the compressor and several other parts. Took it into the shop today. Hopefully I don't get raped.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:33 PM
sounds like the control display is going out. from what ive read on here, its nothing new. you can probably find one on ebay or a salvage yard and swap them out. or just check to make sure the plugs are seated firmly into the control unit

Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by snowboarder7710
sounds like the control display is going out. from what ive read on here, its nothing new. you can probably find one on ebay or a salvage yard and swap them out. or just check to make sure the plugs are seated firmly into the control unit
for some reason I couldn't find any info after doing a search on here. I actually considered buying one and see if it worked. Instead I took it in to a shop I'm going to way too often and found they found it was in fact the control unit. Spent 504 bucks. Unit is pretty expensive itself and paid 100 for the diagnosis and labor. I'm fine with that since it comes with a peace of mind that there's nothing else wrong with the system so far.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 AM
dang too bad it was that expensive! ive seen some on ebay but like you said...peace of mind that its a new unit and wont fail on you....good thing it was just that and not something else!!

Quick Reply: Crap! My A/C is out!