2004 - 2008 F-150

Cleaned my throttle body today

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cleaned my throttle body today

Well today I decided to clean my throttle body. Man, was it filthy, black crap all over it. Started my truck up and it was idleing at 1200 rpms. I adjusted it down to normal and all is well, no shaking at all just smoothness. I also cleaned my MAF but it didnt seem to make much difference.

This was about the only positive of my day though. I went to get my eagles and nittos from the tire place from getting balanced, looked at the 2 in the best shape and saw scratches(gouges) around the hub about 1mm deep, pretty much ruined my wheels. They're paying to have them professionally polished so we'll see how that goes. So much for putting them on this week . I havent been so mad in years. I would have them replace them but eagle discontinued the polished 178 right before I bought them.

Last edited by bjp207; 03-17-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can feel your pain i have had the same happen to me in the past now i tell them if you scratch them you buy a new one. i now rotate the tires myself i dont trust nobody.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:37 AM
yea, its really bothersome for me to want to drop my truck off somewhere and I am 22. I always study my truck before and after you can never trust someone to do what you would do with your own vehicle of someone elses. It just pisses me off that why I am so hesitant to take my truck somewhere for anything.. yea just make sure they are a reputable place b/c that will be the only warranty you can get is from a big name place..

Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by bjp207
Well today I decided to clean my throttle body. Man, was it filthy, black crap all over it. Started my truck up and it was idleing at 1200 rpms. I adjusted it down to normal and all is well, no shaking at all just smoothness. I also cleaned my MAF but it didnt seem to make much difference.
what do u mean you "adjusted it down"?

i was under the impression you cannot adjust the idle rpm on these trucks. am i wrong?

if i disconnect the battery (which i plan to do before i start) and let the truck lose its memory settings will it not go back to default and then re-learn it all from scratch?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 02SC4x4
what do u mean you "adjusted it down"?

i was under the impression you cannot adjust the idle rpm on these trucks. am i wrong?

if i disconnect the battery (which i plan to do before i start) and let the truck lose its memory settings will it not go back to default and then re-learn it all from scratch?
You have to use a programmer to adjust things like that.

Hope the polishing works out!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:09 AM
I need to clean my TB. Good luck with the polishing. If it helps to ease your mind my cousin had his 19" Axis wheels polished by a pro (he had scratches, some bad) and they came out amazing.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
I took them to walmart to get spin balanced last time andthey treated them like gold(I only went because it wasa sunday and they were the only ones open) then I take it yesterday where I buy everything from (5000 worth of business from our business each year) and they destroy them

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 PM
cleaned my TBS yesterday as well... as stated mine was full of build up.. i should of grabbed pics.. i needed an old toothbrush to get most of it off.. the can spray worked on the less thick stuff.... cleaned MAF, my air filter, and installed a new fuel filter and reinstalled the TBS..(haters) lol.... This was on top of new brakes i had put on the day before.... she's running awesome!!!... 97k and counting!

new shocks next!......oh and HID....

i disconnected thew batter during all this.. and before i started i put the truck back to stock.. after it was all done.. started it in stock..let idle for 5 mins... then reprogrammed and idle again...

all is good!.. oh and Ive been running without the TBS for a mth now... and i have to say when i put it back in, i felt stronger shifts and better throttle responce..... i mean it was 420~, and 2 beers deep... but it felt diff to me! lol.... IMO

Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by bjp207
scratches(gouges) around the hub about 1mm deep.
1mm is a pretty deep scratch! (about 0.04 in inch) I can't see them being able to polish it with out it being dished in that area. Hope it goes well.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have a link to how to clean the throttle body? Bear in mind, I'm an auto-moron. I need lots of pictures.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by AAK625
Anyone have a link to how to clean the throttle body? Bear in mind, I'm an auto-moron. I need lots of pictures.

i looked at the how too, but really didn't help me. on my 05, it was 4 screws, and 2 plugs... and off it came.. took all but 10 mins to clean.. taking my time!

it was pretty easy!... i disconnected the battery before i did.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by saleen
1mm is a pretty deep scratch! (about 0.04 in inch) I can't see them being able to polish it with out it being dished in that area. Hope it goes well.
He says he can sand them then polish them out they're about a half millimeter actually, and he can get the rings aroundthe lugs that the dealer made, he also polishes the backs of the wheels,60bucks each plus dismount and mount

Quick Reply: Cleaned my throttle body today