2004 - 2008 F-150

Dealer wants to replace the entire Throttle Body assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer wants to replace the entire Throttle Body assembly?

So I've gotten the infamous P whatever code Lean condition on Banks 1&2 twice in the past 6 months. Each time I cleaned the MAF and reset the code. The CEL came on again last week so this time I decided to take it into the dealer to see if anything else is going on.

They said yes it's the same code and they want to replace the whole throttle body to the tune of $600whatever bucks! I asked what exactly it could be and got the response, throttle body we have to replace it. TB's don't just wholesalely fail, it's a very simple piece. All the crap they have attached to it with all the emissions and mass air and so on is another thing.

Just seems shady. Def wasn't expecting that kind of answer. Any opinons, I know we have some techs on here.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
throttle body would suggest TPS, which i dont think is a cause of running lean, i could be wrong however.

if you were having tps problems, then yes the throttle body would definitely be the issue. at which point, its just $200 and 4 bolts/15 min. Not worth $600 imho.

good luck man.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What were the codes?
If you can't accept the dealers diagnosis then bring it to a different one or an independent shop.
A vacuum leak could be a possible cause also.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:44 PM
From what they said they mean the whole assembly, maf and so on. Also updating the software in the pcm. Just what they said.

Talked with a couple other friends who are tech's at various other dealers of different brands, Nissan, Chevy and VW and it seems it's one of those replace everything instead of finding what is solely wrong. A: Bill customer for however long it takes to find the cause, or B: just replace evertyhing and call it a day, get the next vehicle in. Apparently a common thing. And in the end may be the cheaper route to go.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terrynjulia03
it seems it's one of those replace everything instead of finding what is solely wrong.
That's what it sounds like to me too. Throwing parts at a problem is weak instead of making a proper diagnosis. I'd take my truck somewhere else.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to buy a high performance throttle body. The only cost like $300. A better deal than a $600 OEM TB.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Update, so everything is fine and dandy for a couple months, than I went away for a military school, come back last month and poof the CEL comes on again. Go to autozone and it's throwing the same code, imagine that.

Long story short it's been at the dealer for the past 2 days and they can't figure out what the problem is. Not they want to test the injectors and do a compression and leakdown test. Thank god for extended warranties.

It's the same code that everyone on here has said was a vacumn leak, or fuel filter.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Update today, so the tech still can't figure it out, but their going to replace the exhaust manifold as that needs to be done anyway and see if that changes anything.

There's no way that would cause a lean condition that I can think of.

Anyone have any idea's?

Quick Reply: Dealer wants to replace the entire Throttle Body assembly?