2004 - 2008 F-150

Heating / air driving me crazy !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heating / air driving me crazy !!!

Don't know why it has taken me until now to say something about this. Had the truck for a year and a half.....

But curious if this is normal. No matter how I set my heater, it just cannot be set to a comfortable temp, and left alone. And it's not just me either !!! I'm actually not that sensitive to a little heat, or cold.
But what happens, is I set the heat dial to say, about 8 o'clock. Drive for about 3 minutes, and it's too hot.... No, I mean like suffocating hot ! So, I bump it down to like 7 o'clock. Drive for about 3 more minutes, and now it's blowing so freaking cold, I might as well be driving with the windows down ! So I bump it back up a little to like 7:30 {trying in vain, to find a "sweet spot"} but 3 minutes after that, I have ice sickles hanging off of my nose, because I didn't bump it quite up to the "tipping point". So, I bump it up to like 7:45 {which is like 1/16th inch more on the heat control dial} and 3 minutes later, it's freaking stifling hot again !!!!!!! URRRRRGGGGG !

Last night, I finally set it to just barely on the hot side, then attempted to cool it off to a stable, almost comfortable temperature, by rolling down my rear windows, to the appropriate level. How's that for climate control ?

Is something wrong with my heating and air ? Or is this just a flat out lame design ?

What to do ?

Fish

PS, The spell check tried to call URRRRRRGGGG "Urological"..... and this is not far off from "pissed", so I guess the spell check is actually on the right track

Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 PM
i know the feeling. my jeep gets like this. i cant wait to get a fx4 with lux package so ill have a target temp.

what i end up doing is jus doing the heat full stuff(on the heat ****) and fan speed 1 or 2 till i get hot, then when im hot i cut it off completley, then youll slowly get cold and you can cut it on with the heat indicator at about 1 oclock(just slightly in the red) and fan speed on one. that seems to work for me, but its still a pain to keep screwing with it.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
It happens to me too, I just move it around a bit and then alter it again

Old 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM
SFM
Constantly have to mess with mine too... Funny reading that.. Sounds exactly like what I do... Back windows cracked seems to balance it all out.. That's completely jacked up!!!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
i know the feeling. my jeep gets like this. i cant wait to get a fx4 with lux package so ill have a target temp........
Unfortunately that won't help either. My '08 FX4 Luxury does the same thing -- from about 65°-77° there is no change at all if you're just scrolling through the different temperatures. If you stay on one temperature for any length of time it'll be ice cold for a few minutes and then scorching hot for a few minutes. It's the only thing about my truck that drives me crazy. I've heard that changing the "blend door actuator" seems to help out but in most cases it doesn't completely fix it. There's actually a TSB out on this IIRC.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM
one the truck gets to a comfortable temp i just set the hot/cold dial to the center and put the defroster on the lowest setting. that's how mine stays like 90% of the time.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:32 PM
I too have the same issue with my heat/cold temp control. Mine seems to have that cold/hot crossover around 9:45-10:00 on the dial. You set it and WOW it’s HOT and just slightly move it towards cold ( I mean just a touch ) and now it COLD. I can say the heater in this truck is one of the best I have ever had but I agree that the temp control know is way too sensitive......

Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 08FX4
Unfortunately that won't help either. My '08 FX4 Luxury does the same thing -- from about 65°-77° there is no change at all if you're just scrolling through the different temperatures. If you stay on one temperature for any length of time it'll be ice cold for a few minutes and then scorching hot for a few minutes. It's the only thing about my truck that drives me crazy. I've heard that changing the "blend door actuator" seems to help out but in most cases it doesn't completely fix it. There's actually a TSB out on this IIRC.
Yep, there is a TSB out on this to replace the actuator motor with a new design. Mine used to hunt for temperature and blow heated air during the summer months. I replaced the actuator motor for the blend door and all is right with the world. So there is a fix for you.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Mine did the same thing until I took it in and the dealer fixed it. It was still under warranty. They replaced an actuator because there is a TSB out on this. Works great now.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I should bring mine in to get fixed as well

Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Right on.....

I'm so glad I asked ! I'm hoping this particular problem will still be under factory warranty. I bought my truck brand new about 18 months ago.

Will call a Ford dealership for this problem ASAP, and see if we can get it straight..... because this is just a flat out PITA, and I guess their are many of you who can also attest to this, huh ?

This is the kind of info that makes this forum so freaking cool

Much thanks,
Fish

Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TSB I'm referring to is for the EATC. There may be something for manual controls, but you'll need to check with your dealer if something similar exists.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Windsor, do you happen to know the TSB number? Also from what I thought you said, the TSB is for the electronic version and NOT the manual control version... Is that correct?

Thanks so much

Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 PM
mine was just replaced under warranty also due to the TSB. I have a manual control on setting the temp. the problem is the motor misreads whatever signals/vacuum level is sent to it.

I would get mine set 'just right' and then it would become too hot in 20 miles, or it would drop too cold about the same.

Now it stays constant.

See the dealer.

I was lucky, my battery died when they tried to start my screw, so that was replaced also.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:07 AM
i just took mine to the dealer for these same problems....the dealer said that ford put out a letter to all dealers about this...

Quick Reply: Heating / air driving me crazy !!!