2004 - 2008 F-150

caster adjustment on these trucks????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
caster adjustment on these trucks????

got a 2008 F150 2wd. I have lowered it 2/5 and while getting an alignment today i was told that the caster was maxed out and they couldnt adjust it....

how is the caster set on these trucks? i understand the toe with the tie-rod ends, and the camber with the lower control arm bolts, but how is caster set on these trucks?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by midnight08
got a 2008 F150 2wd. I have lowered it 2/5 and while getting an alignment today i was told that the caster was maxed out and they couldnt adjust it....

how is the caster set on these trucks? i understand the toe with the tie-rod ends, and the camber with the lower control arm bolts, but how is caster set on these trucks?
camber and caster are both adjusted at the same time on the lower controll arms. in your case the caster is probably more on the positive side...which wont hurt anything. Any time the factory rake is taken out of the vehicle by leveling it out caster will always be more positive.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think it is really that adjustable on these trucks.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
From what I was told, Ford for some reason didnt put an adjustable caster for alignment on the trucks. They sell a kit thats like 100 bucks. A buddy of mine went to align my truck and told me and gave me to part number for the kit. Luckily my alignment wasnt real bad and my caster was off a bit, but not off so much that it was to far off to one side. I dont know why they did this, but I havent had any trouble yet.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by FI10Fires
From what I was told, Ford for some reason didnt put an adjustable caster for alignment on the trucks. They sell a kit thats like 100 bucks. A buddy of mine went to align my truck and told me and gave me to part number for the kit. Luckily my alignment wasnt real bad and my caster was off a bit, but not off so much that it was to far off to one side. I dont know why they did this, but I havent had any trouble yet.
the "kits" only make adjustment easier, all they are is eccentric bolts. caster is adjusted at the lower controll arms at the same time as camber. moving the front in or the rear out gives you positive caster, moving the front out or the rear in makes it go more negative.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:51 PM
the "kits" only make adjustment easier, all they are is eccentric bolts. caster is adjusted at the lower controll arms at the same time as camber. moving the front in or the rear out gives you positive caster, moving the front out or the rear in makes it go more negative.

interesting.... i would think that this would effect toe more than caster....

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Think of it like an equal sided triangle (lower control arm) with one side being up against the frame and the opposite point being the wheel. Move the forward end of the LCA away from the frame and the aft end of the triangle towards the frame it affects the position of the wheel aft, affecting the caster angle, and possibly camber as well.

Quick Reply: caster adjustment on these trucks????