2004 - 2008 F-150

Projector vs stock headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Projector vs stock headlights

I have a delimma that I'd like some feedback on. I have a 2008 F150 FX2 and I'm ok with the stock headlights, but I'm thinking about getting some black projector headlights w/ halos. My concern is how well does the projector headlights light up the road compared to the stock lights. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:49 PM
To make your decision look at all the european, japanese and even hi end american cars, 90% of them run projectors because of the superior light output the provide. Myself coming from a european car background i have had projectors in almost everything i've owned if it came from the factory that way. Now When you first put in projectors you may find that you feel there may be "less light" on the road. You need to aim them properly. Second i am not sure but if you can't afford HID's at the time get some nice bright bulbs into your headlights, and i am not sure if you can on the f150 but on my vw's i was able to relay them (the same way we relay HID'S). If you can afford HID after purchasing the headlights Definitely put some 4300-6000k HID in your low beam housing and you will notice a huge difference of the light output. The nice thing is that the bulbs have a cut off and focus's the light where you need it.

i know this isn't an f150 but here is my old a4:

I found when driving my audi, in front of me i always had exceptional lighting, and it lights up freeway signs like no other. Now in my F150 i put in HID's in the reflector housings as i personally find all the projecter housings not to my taste and yes i have lots of light output but a lot of it is not really usable if you ask me...

Old 01-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I've had my projectors for almost a year, no HIDs though. The low beams don't seem as bright because of the cut off but you really aren't losing any light. It's just more focused on the road and not in oncoming drivers' faces. The highs are great and they definitely light up a lot farther down the road. Unfortunately I don't have any pics but the pic above is a great example of what to expect.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Ok cool... thanks for the input. I found some nice ones with the black housing that would look good with my truck. I just might go ahead a try them out.

Quick Reply: Projector vs stock headlights