2004 - 2008 F-150

Outside Air Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside Air Temperature Sensor

First off, thank you to everyone who posted info regarding their dealings with incorrect outside air temp readings on the dash display.

Second. My sensor appeared to be bad when the dash display said 92°F and it was only 35°F outside. That did not allow my EATC to properly control the cabin temps as the EATC does use the sensor as a reference. I should add this is on a 2007 FX4 Screw.

Third. You can first try pulling the sensor (on at least '04 - up it's located above the impact sensor on the front radiator support bracket, just open the hood and look just below the hood latch system) and cleaning the contacts with electrical spray cleaner and adding new di-electric/bulb grease to it. If that does not work, go to NAPA. Ask for part# TS4005 (this is equal to Motorcraft P/N DY1054 or Ford P/N 5W7Z 12A647 A). It cost me $16.79 plus tax and the display has not read any better than it is now. FYI.. Ford will sell you the sensor for about $50.

I will try to update in the next couple weeks on whether the replacement did truely fix the problem. Truck is still under warranty, but the little $$$ was worth not dropping it at the dealer for the day and them finding nothing wrong.

Last edited by speedydoug; 12-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem with your EATC may be the blend door accumulator motor. Look up TSB 08-23-6. There is a revised part that should be covered under warranty.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks. I did recently have the blend motor replaced due to a failure. What I noticed with the temp sensor was a problem getting heat when the display was reading an abnormal temperature, i.e it was reading 93°F+ and true temp was about 37°F. I had the EATC system on for about 20 minutes at 75°F and it was still blowing fairly cool. Suddenly the display temp dropped to around 50°F and the heat came on. My understanding with some looking around is both systems are connected. I guess Ford decided it wise to make dual use out of the sensor.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might be right, but I would think there's an in-cab temperature sensor that controls the EATC. The outside sensor can give a false reading from a hot radiator if parked for a while. Until it has cool air circulating past it, it gives an erroneous reading. At least, that's been my experience. I notice it more on really hot days. But if it's giving false readings while driving, it would aggravate me even if it wasn't tied into the EATC.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Just as a note to Speedydoug's post, the Motorcraft part number DY1054 is only for 2004 F150. The part number for 2005 F150 is DY1137, which NAPA does not and can not get. Looks like a Ford only part as of now, unless anyone knows different.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:11 PM
FWIW, both of those Motorcraft part numbers are coolant temperature sensors, not outside air temperature sensors. But all you have to do is Google Motorcraft part numbers and you can almost always find multiple sources other then the Ford dealer as places to buy. Amazon, Rockauto are just two that often come up.

Quick Reply: Outside Air Temperature Sensor