2004 - 2008 F-150

Wont shift into Reverse or Park

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wont shift into Reverse or Park

I was driving through slush yesterday and when I got back to my house the truck would not shift into reverse or park. I put some pressure on the colum shifter still wouldnt shift. Finally after several tries I got it to go into reverse then finally into park. Im thinking the slush had something to do with this. Could it of blocked the tranny vent making the tranny unable to release pressure to shift into reverse or park? Im just hoping it isnt something more serious. Has anyone else had similar problems offroading or in the snow. It hasnt done it since the drive in the slush.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe somethin froze up?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a flakey stop lamp switch by the brake pedal. My inlaws had the same issue and a new stop lamp switch solved the problem. There is an electric solenoid which releases the shifter when the brake pedal is applied, the stop lamp switch supplies power to this solenoid.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by dorman68
Sounds like a flakey stop lamp switch by the brake pedal. My inlaws had the same issue and a new stop lamp switch solved the problem. There is an electric solenoid which releases the shifter when the brake pedal is applied, the stop lamp switch supplies power to this solenoid.
beat me to it

Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
The BSIL will not allow the truck to be shifted out of Park.

However, if you read more carefully, his problem is the other way around -- he is in Drive and trying to get the truck in to Reverse or Park. The BSIL has nothing to do with that.

I'm thinking the linkage got frozen up... maybe a nice recall right there.

I think the NHTSA should be immediatly contacted. This could be difference between life or death of an operator and/or persons in or around the truck if it were not to go into P.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Is the stop lamp switch make that clicking noise when you apply the break pedal? If it happens again I will get that part looked at. Just seems like it was more related to the driving conditions.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I had this happen to me in my 05 last winter, after driving through the slush the tires sprayed the side of the transmission and basically immobilized the shift linkage. I had to set the parking brake and get under the truck and clear all the slush away from the side of the transmission linkage while it was still in gear. Mine wouldnt even move out of drive. I am sure this was your problem.

Quick Reply: Wont shift into Reverse or Park