2004 - 2008 F-150

Edge owners...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge owners...

Has anybody come up with a creative place to mount their Edge programmer, aside from the dash pod? I would prefer to mount mine out of view but wondering if there is any other place it could go. I suppose it go in the place under the drink holder but it could get spilled on. I have the jump seat.

Any ideas??

Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you are not going to have it mounted where you can see the gauges as you drive, why not just remove it and put it away? There have been a couple that mounted it in the little cubby hole under the extra cup holder. One guy made a bracket that mounted it similar to a radar detector, near the rear view mirror. Personally, I like mine on the dash where I view it constantly, from the corner of my eye.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing..once you enter your tune..either canned or custom..and its accepted in the ecm.Then your can just unplug the edge and put it away.The tune is stored or written into the ECM.Naturally you'd have no fancy read out to look at but if your worried about thieft then keep it at home.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 PM
I just like to have everything like that out of view. My radar detector is hard wired and under the windshield strip, so its not visible from the outside. I just don't want anything "inviting" to onlookers....

My engine is stock except for the intake and exhaust so I wouldn't monitor the systems that much anyway. Its being converted to a Gryphon, I just want the fun factor.

***ok so Postall's post came up as I was writing mine. Didn't realise I could detach the unit it and still have the tune on the PCM. That is good to know!***

Last edited by effects4; 10-31-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Mine sits where the ashtray normally goes.
I can see it when I need to, and close the ashtray door whenever needed.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Turbo77
Mine sits where the ashtray normally goes.
I can see it when I need to, and close the ashtray door whenever needed.

Is it mounted there or just sits in there? Do you have a pic?

Old 10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
No pics at this time, but it's a "press fit". Nothing to drill/tape/glue. Just remove the ashtray, and run the Edge cable thru.

Not sure if it'd be different for you though. I have the Capt's w/flow thru console.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:24 PM
^^ man I want a pic of that too. Please take one if you can.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Camera phone quality, but you get the idea.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 AM
^^ Cool thanks, do you see any glow with the thing closed? How do you get the cable from inside the consul to the OBD Port.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by effects4
I just like to have everything like that out of view. My radar detector is hard wired and under the windshield strip, so its not visible from the outside. I just don't want anything "inviting" to onlookers....

My engine is stock except for the intake and exhaust so I wouldn't monitor the systems that much anyway. Its being converted to a Gryphon, I just want the fun factor.

***ok so Postall's post came up as I was writing mine. Didn't realise I could detach the unit it and still have the tune on the PCM. That is good to know!***
Yes, that is what I was meaning when I said unhook it and put it away. But I can't imagine not wanting to keep up with what is going on in your engine, when you have the means to do so. The truck gauges are just on/off switches and really do not tell you anything until it may be too late. I have my monitor displaying engine, temp, transmission temp, voltage and actual speed, since the truck speedometer is never accurate. The only thing I ever look at my truck display for is outside temp and fuel gauge.

The pod looks so much like a part of the truck, I can't imagine anyone even noticing it, plus, they would have to be standing right over the windshield or looking in the side glass to see it. The pillar blocks it from easy view. I have had mine there for 3 years and never a problem

Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That looks great Turbo. I tried to mount mine in the XLT slide-out ashtray/cupholder a long while back, just couldn't make it work without hacking up a bunch of necessary plastic. :o

Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by the_cosworth
^^ Cool thanks, do you see any glow with the thing closed? How do you get the cable from inside the consul to the OBD Port.
Very little glow.
As for running the cable, I removed the side foot panel and was able to snake the OBD cable up to the ashtray.

Thanks Stealth. Didn't have to hack anything. Just a little patience got it in there with minor "warpage" of the plastic. Nothing that can't be undone and never known about.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Turbo77
Very little glow.
As for running the cable, I removed the side foot panel and was able to snake the OBD cable up to the ashtray.

Thanks Stealth. Didn't have to hack anything. Just a little patience got it in there with minor "warpage" of the plastic. Nothing that can't be undone and never known about.
Thanks man, you gave me something to do today after the power block!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:57 PM
thanks for the pics Turbo! that is what I want to do with mine.

I love to know what's going on with the engine but just didn't want it to be too inviting. I'm going to try the ashtray thing so I can leave it hooked up. If not, I'll mount it to the dash and see what it looks like.

I'll be sending mine off the PHP. Hopefully with a black pod/programmer/dash and 15% tint, nobody will even be able to see it if I do mount it to the dash. ;-)

Quick Reply: Edge owners...