2004 - 2008 F-150

How To: Remove entire dash completely

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Remove entire dash completely

I took out my entire dash to be able to repaint everything and make it look a lot better... which it does

the first thing i would do is look at these post and remove everything they say to bc youll end up having to. also this may take quite a few hours and even days if you are wanting to paint too.

1.This one is to remove the pieces around the instrument cluster.https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...y-install.html

2. This is to remove the radio and everything around it.https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...tructions.html

3. This is just showing how to remove the piece where the blinking red light is next to the window. youll have to remove this piece on both side and now would also be a good time to change out the bulb if you are wanting.https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...el-trucks.html

4. To remove the steering wheel. read this the 5th post tells you exactly how to do it.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ing-wheel.html

Ok now you should have the radio, the instrument cluster, the pieces by the windshield, the steering wheel, and all other pieces that were removed during those processes. also you should remove the handles that are above the door. all you do is pop off the two little circles and remove the bolts that are underneath. those are the easy parts so here goes for the hard part.

IM GOING TO START WITH THE MIDDLE SECTION FIRST WHERE THE RADIO WAS. WARNING: THERE MAY BE SOME SCREWS THAT I MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN SO ANY THAT YOU SEE THAT ARE CONNECTED TO THE STEEL FRAME BEHIND IT REMOVE THEM. IF YOU FEEL ITS TOUGH TO PULL THE DASH OUT AFTER YOU THINK YOU GOT ALL THE SCREWS THEN MOST LIKELY YOU MISSED A COUPLE.
This is what it should look like by now and these are the three bolts that you need to remove.

NOW LETS DO THE DRIVERS SIDE
first start popping off some of the pieces. theres some on the passenger side you can either remove now or later on that are in the picture.

after everything is popped off here is the hardest part of the whole process. Theres two gold screws on the drivers side and passengers side right by the door. one is on top and one is on the side.they are on the same spot on both sides. the tricky thing is they are on the backside of the dash so they are tough to get to. to make it easier you may have to remove the 4 big bolts(two on drivers and two on passengers) that bolt the steel frame to the frame of the truck, but watch it bc i was told it was really heavy.

Now once you get that done everything is easy from here. continuing on the drivers side there is a bolt or two underneath the piece you popped off to get to the red blinking light that i gave you a link to.

Next there are some screws that are behind the instrument cluster that should now be removed. There should be about four screws or a couple may have already been removed when the cluster was removed.

THAT SHOULD BE ALL FOR DRIVERS SIDE SO NOW LETS DO THE PASSENGER SIDE.

First lets remove the glove box. there are two screws on the bottom then you should be able to maneuver it to bring it out. then the piece above it i believe has a screw or two on the backside that needs to be removed then it should pop off. next there are three screws underneath the dash that bolt the airbag to the steel frame. they are shown in the picture

Now underneath the back piece by the windshield that you should have already popped up there are a couple screws

Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOW THAT YOU GET THE AIRBAG PIECE UNSCREWED THERE ARE THREE THINGS ON THE BACK OF THE AIRBAG PIECE THAT YOU HAVE TO PULL UP BUT THEY ARE REALLY HARD TO DO ALSO UNLESS THERES A TRICK TO THEM THAT I COULDNT FIGURE OUT.

Ok now the only thing you need to do, and you only need to do this if you have the shifter on the steering column, is to remove the shifter bc it makes it impossible to pull the dash out if its not off. it doesnt come completely off but once you get the screw out it comes out and a wire is still attatched to it so itll just hang. after this is done the whole dash should be out by now.

Here is what it looked like when i got it out of the truck.

and this is what the inside of my truck looked like after it was out

I drove around with my truck like this for a couple days so that is why my radio is in

And that is everything. if you have any questions or if you see i missed something let me know. also if you have anything to add feel free it wont hurt my feelings. so much info i may have missed something but i dont think i did

Last edited by will09lane; 10-21-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: How To: Remove entire dash completely