2004 - 2008 F-150

Tire decision for 05 with Edge....Personal feedback please

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire decision for 05 with Edge....Personal feedback please

I'm buying new tires this week and I have been reading a lot of tranny issues, edge being good/bad, bigger tires may causing issues with tranny, sizes that can fit etc etc....

So based on your personal experience and some feedback on my truck can you guys throw me some of your ideas?

Truck: 05 F-150, towing package (I don't tow anything), Extended Cab, 4x4, Edge Programmer (Does not have custom tunes yet), HBS 2 1/2 Level, Stock Rims.

My Choices:

[1] Nitto Grappler 295/70/r17 - Price $199.95
[2] Nitto Grappler 305/70/r17 - Price $249.00
[3] Nitto Grappler (Smaller Size?)

Primary I drive on highways, I live in South Jersey, and once in awhile do some off roading. Based on these forums my worries are:

[1] Stress on tranny due to larger tires
[2] Gas mileage
[3] Rubbing at full lock
[4] Price difference in size, is it worth it?

Pic of truck:

Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 PM
You don't have anything to worry about. I run 37's the majority that run larger than stock tires run 35's and there are a few 38's and one 40 that I know of. Really though the safest bet is 35's if you're concerned about wear and tear. But your not looking at 35's and with those sizes you listed you're perfectly safe.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor
NTG 295/70 = 33.19 inches
NTG 305/70 = 33.98

I have BFG AT 305/65s on stock 18s. They are 33.7, and I am absolutely no where near rubbing. You'll not have a problem with either of these tires. After I put on my leveling kit, I went to 285/65s, which are 32.7 and thought they looked way too small. I thought I could save a buck by going with the smaller size, but ended up spending more in the long run to get the look I wanted. Based on my experience, I'd recommend going to the bigger of these two sizes.

I've not noticed a huge difference in fuel economy (maybe 0.1 MPG). I have noticed that the truck is a little less willing to get up to speed from a dead stop, but once I get up to highway speeds, it drives almost exactly the same. Plus, the Edge obviously helps. Since you also have the Edge, you already understand that you can use it to reprogram your speedo, so that won't be an issue.

Bottom line: I don't need my truck to be a speed demon, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of "performance" for the look I want. If your ultimate goal is similar to mine, you should go with the bigger tire. Heck, it's only a $200 difference for all four tires.

Quick Reply: Tire decision for 05 with Edge....Personal feedback please