2004 - 2008 F-150

Driver door lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver door lock cylinder

So this weekend my truck got broken into. Thankfully nothing but an old ipod was taken. Looks like the idiots took a screwdriver and jammed it into the driver side keyhole and somehow got it to open up. My key will no longer go in, so im pretty sure it damaged beyond repair. Since I am pretty strapped for cash i want to try and buy the parts and repair it myself. Problem is im not sure what parts i need.

I think i need this;
OEM Catalog
Front door, Lock and hardware, Lock cylinder, LOCK CYLINDER WITH K $45.00

Anyone have any idea is this is all i would need? Also how will i be able to match my current key to the new lock cylinder?

thanks

Last edited by l337viton; 07-27-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If they didn't damage the handle where the lock cylinder clips in, then yeah, just a new cylinder should fix it. Now if they punched the lock, like most do then chances are they broke your handle also, you may have to buy a new handle too.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Hmm... I'll try to post up some pictures.

When i user my keyless entry to unlock the car the handle still works. It doesnt look punched out.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:57 PM

When you take the handle out to change the lock cylinder, you'll see what I meant. There is a tube molded into the handle that the cylinder fits into, when they punch the lock, it usually breaks that tube and now you can no longer lock the door.

But since you stated that your keyless still works, I'm guessing that means on the affected door also, if thats the case, then you probably got lucky and just need the cylinder.

Make sure you give them the code from the old cylinder so the new one will be keyed the same.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
When you take the handle out to change the lock cylinder, you'll see what I meant. There is a tube molded into the handle that the cylinder fits into, when they punch the lock, it usually breaks that tube and now you can no longer lock the door.

But since you stated that your keyless still works, I'm guessing that means on the affected door also, if thats the case, then you probably got lucky and just need the cylinder.

Make sure you give them the code from the old cylinder so the new one will be keyed the same.
Yes, i mean the front driver door that was forced open still works with the remote locks. It locks and unlocks just fine.

I appreciate the help.

thanks!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Pictures

Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 PM

From the pic, it looks like rookies did it. It looks like they tried to force the lock open with a screwdriver. Someone with more experience would have just punched the lock cylinder out, thus breaking the cylinder and the handle. Punching the cylinder, is faster and does a lot more damage.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
From the pic, it looks like rookies did it. It looks like they tried to force the lock open with a screwdriver. Someone with more experience would have just punched the lock cylinder out, thus breaking the cylinder and the handle. Punching the cylinder, is faster and does a lot more damage.
Well I'm glad a rookie did it and didnt mess it up even more!

So from the looks of it a new cylinder should take care of it?

Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Yeah, I think just a new cylinder is all. You got lucky.

Quick Reply: Driver door lock cylinder