2004 - 2008 F-150

disabled/locked cam phaser sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disabled/locked cam phaser sensor

have a bad cam sensor on my truck - its an 05 scab xlt 5.4 4x4 - i have talked it over with my reg mech - he called around about teh problem since he does not hve much experience on my style truck (most this age still hve a warrenty - not 106k miles) - he called a guy who does some performance work on fords and he said he has done a few but also has found that he can "lock" the gear on the sensor at 7 1/2 degrees fixed timng and says that the folks he has done it for say it runs better then - has anybody had any experience with this ? im considering it since im strapped for cash and its about the same cost in labor but with out the $400 in parts for the new cam sensors

Old 06-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you lock the cam phasers you will need to get a custom tune written to compensate for the changes or you risk mechanical damage to your engine. In the end, it will cost you more for the lock-outs and custom tune then it will to just get it fixed properly.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was worried about that - im more concerned right now with the longevity of it - i dotn want to have to do this again in 50k more miles - i drive my trucks til teh wheels fall of and then get new wheels put on - this is only the 3rd truck i have had

Old 06-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crzyjunyer
have a bad cam sensor on my truck - its an 05 scab xlt 5.4 4x4 - i have talked it over with my reg mech - he called around about teh problem since he does not hve much experience on my style truck (most this age still hve a warrenty - not 106k miles) - he called a guy who does some performance work on fords and he said he has done a few but also has found that he can "lock" the gear on the sensor at 7 1/2 degrees fixed timng and says that the folks he has done it for say it runs better then - has anybody had any experience with this ? im considering it since im strapped for cash and its about the same cost in labor but with out the $400 in parts for the new cam sensors
Originally Posted by crzyjunyer
i was worried about that - im more concerned right now with the longevity of it - i dotn want to have to do this again in 50k more miles - i drive my trucks til teh wheels fall of and then get new wheels put on - this is only the 3rd truck i have had
On a side note, I had to read that about 8 times to realise I couldn't help you. Add some punctuation into your questions, namely, a period. If people don't get frustrated reading your question, they're more likely to read it and more likely to come up with a solution.

Quick Reply: disabled/locked cam phaser sensor