2004 - 2008 F-150

Restricted Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restricted Engine

Hey guys,

I have an '05 F-150 XLT SCREW 4x4 and for the last year I've been having some trouble with it. It started out that the driver side catalytic converter crapped out and I could hear pieces of the internals of the converter banging around in there. The other symptoms were that when I'd put the pedal full tilt the engine would cut out and feel like it was bogging down or misfiring. The engine light came on and gave a 'catlyst' error. I took it in under warranty and got that cat replaced. Within a week the passenger side cat did the same thing. Took it in under warranty and got it replaced. However, this never really fixed the problem of the engine bogging down and now I'm out of warranty.

The problem I've been having is the same as I did when my cats were crapping out. The difference is I don't hear anything banging around down there at idle. However when I slam on the gas if needed..... sometimes the engine will bog up and I'll have to let off the gas and sometimes I'll hear a loud bang like metal slamming against metal underneath me (driver side) and the engine will open up with no problems. The other day the engine bogged up a little while I was just cruising at about 50mph. I'm concerned that there is a piece of one of my old cat's internals just hanging out in my exhaust pipe between the cat and the muffler causing this issue. I don't get any engine codes except if when the engine starts bogging up I stay on the gas rather than letting off it. When I do that the engine light starts blinking to indicate a misfire.

I don't have any mods on my truck except a K&N FIPK that I put on about 2 weeks ago. The problem was happening way before this install. Also I'm at about 67,000 miles on the truck.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 PM
The cats dont just go bad, There is usually something that makes them go bad either to rich or to lean conditions. Which the computer picks up on and it throws a code (check engine light) it could be something as easy as a o2 sensor.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:48 PM
So I've heard. However, I had no codes and for that matter no problems with the truck before the cats bought the farm...

Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Could be
1. Fuel injetor most time pops a code- 05's have an extened coverage- 11yrs or 120k
2. PCM- 8yrs or 80k
3. fuel pump- no warranty left
4. MAF most of the time pops a code- no warranty left

those are my best guesses

Quick Reply: Restricted Engine