Everything You Wanted To Know About The IWE System....And Then Some! - Page 3 - F150online Forums

Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Everything You Wanted To Know About The IWE System....And Then Some! >

Everything You Wanted To Know About The IWE System....And Then Some!

2004 - 2008 F-150

Everything You Wanted To Know About The IWE System....And Then Some!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Subscribing

Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked View Post
The rerason this is happening is that the whole IWE system depends on vacuum. At rest (no vacuum), your IWE's are actually locked. Start the truck up - or put it in 4WD - and the system applies vacuum to the IEW's and disengages them.

Now to your point. You either have (or had) a vacuum leak someplace or an IWE go bad in the past. What's happening now is that it's partially disengaged and thus the grinding noise. It may be a bad Solenoid, Vacuum Line or Check Valve that caused it and you need to track it down. But, since your IWE has been partially disengaged for so long, it's probably bad too.

Hope that helps.
That helps my knowledge and diagnosis a ton but help my wallet absolutely none!!! Seriously though, thank you for your insight on the issue. I just got a wild hair and decided to get on here and take a look and bam, there it was, similar symptoms and all. Once again, great site and great members here. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by R1Rider31 View Post
That helps my knowledge and diagnosis a ton but help my wallet absolutely none!!! Seriously though, thank you for your insight on the issue. I just got a wild hair and decided to get on here and take a look and bam, there it was, similar symptoms and all. Once again, great site and great members here. Thanks for the help.
Glad we were able to help. Remember though, if you're half way handy, you can replace virtually anything on this system right in your own garage. That'll save you a ton of coin.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I'll start by saying I'm not very mechanically inclined in the first place but when I started researching the issues I was having (it would sporadically try to engage while driving for no reason) and ran across this thread I decided I could give this a try. I am without question having vacuum leak issues. The IWE's are both engaged while the truck is running. They appear to be working fine when I hook the vacuum pump up. They both release at exactly 5. They also will hold 20 for a couple of minutes without a problem. I am having trouble when it comes to checking the lines down to the wheels. Can someone tell me (or pics would be great) exactly where I need to hook up the pump to vacuum the lines down to the wheels. I unhooked the lines from the solenoid and pulled them out to where I could get to them. I went below the air check to a T. The drivers side of the T goes back to the other air check and appears to the manifold. I hooked the passenger side of the T and hooked the pump up with the lines off the wheels and plugged once and connected to the wheels once. They both hold pressure just fine. The problem that I have is when it is connected to the wheels this did not disengage the IWE. I either have the wrong line and am vacuuming the Vacuum box or the line is clogged. I think I may just have the wrong line though. I did not take the battery and box out as I did not have time at this point. If I dont get it fixed by saturday that is the next step.
Thanks for the helpful information so far as I am sure it has already saved me a fortune from not having to take it to the dealer for something that so far seems fairly simple.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM
XJ, great write up and guidance along the way for everyone with IWE issues. Hopefully you can help me with mine. For a few months now I've been getting the 4wd to engage only part of the time. Sometimes it never skips a beat and sometimes it doesn't beat at all. I don't hear any grinding noise or any of that. I did replace the IWE solenoid and it worked immediately after that (although it could have just been one of the times it decided to work.) Recently it hasn't worked at all. My guess is that the transfer case motor is bad and should be replaced. What are your thoughts? I haven't tested the vacuum lines, but it seems like the vacuum lines are only an issue if you're hearing grinding noises. Is that true? Any advice you (or anyone else can give me) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by LR Bob View Post
XJ, great write up and guidance along the way for everyone with IWE issues. Hopefully you can help me with mine. For a few months now I've been getting the 4wd to engage only part of the time. Sometimes it never skips a beat and sometimes it doesn't beat at all. I don't hear any grinding noise or any of that. I did replace the IWE solenoid and it worked immediately after that (although it could have just been one of the times it decided to work.) Recently it hasn't worked at all. My guess is that the transfer case motor is bad and should be replaced. What are your thoughts? I haven't tested the vacuum lines, but it seems like the vacuum lines are only an issue if you're hearing grinding noises. Is that true? Any advice you (or anyone else can give me) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The first question I'm going to ask is about when it doesn't go into 4x4. Does the indicator on your dash say it's in? If so, you have an IWE / vacuum problem because the transfer case is shifting. If the indicator doesn't show it's in, then you have an ESOF motor problem. If it looks like an ESOF problem, you might want to put the truck up on a lift and have somebody move the selector switch back and forth while listening for the motor moving the shift fork. If it doesn't move - and has power to it - the motor is quite easy to replace.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked View Post
The first question I'm going to ask is about when it doesn't go into 4x4. Does the indicator on your dash say it's in? If so, you have an IWE / vacuum problem because the transfer case is shifting. If the indicator doesn't show it's in, then you have an ESOF motor problem. If it looks like an ESOF problem, you might want to put the truck up on a lift and have somebody move the selector switch back and forth while listening for the motor moving the shift fork. If it doesn't move - and has power to it - the motor is quite easy to replace.
Thanks for the quick response. No, it doesn't go into 4x4 when I select either 4-hi or 4-lo. I will get a buddy to work the switch for me this weekend and try and listen for the motor. How would I go about checking that the motor has power to it?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by LR Bob View Post
Thanks for the quick response. No, it doesn't go into 4x4 when I select either 4-hi or 4-lo. I will get a buddy to work the switch for me this weekend and try and listen for the motor. How would I go about checking that the motor has power to it?
The short answer is "test light." I don't have a wiring diagram handy, but if you ground the test light, you should have power to at least one of the wires in the modular plug. If the motor doesn't start when your friend moves the selector switch, try lightly tapping the side of the ESOF motor. This will sometimes wake one up. If it does though, the motor is probably on the way out the door.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 AM
great wright up helps alott.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:32 PM
No vacuum on my 4x4

Ok I'm having issue of no vacuum coming into the reservoir or the solenoid. Can someone please help
it's on a 2004 f150 lariat 5.4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Everything You Wanted To Know About The IWE System....And Then Some!

Sponsors

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: