2004 - 2008 F-150

New rear end - oem LS or TrueTrac

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New rear end - oem LS or TrueTrac

Well I found out I need a new ring and pinion in my 2004 F150. They will be servicing the Limited Slip clutches while they are in there. The price for the clutches is about $150. I got to thinking that I could just get a Detroit/eaton TrueTrac gear driven limited slip for about $550. So I am debating that maybe I should just get the Truetrac and have them through that in there. What do you guys think?

Anyone had a stock LS and went to a truetrac os similar LS differential? Would the extra in price be worth it? I don't think I want a full locker, but the truetracs sound pretty sweet. I do some offroading in the sand dunes and have Michigan winters so the extra traction would be appreciated. Or would the new clutches be good enough?

Thanks - Any info or opinions are appreciated

Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 PM
i debated this too but, some of the "jeep guys" say the truetrac is unpredictable with tires larger than a 33. it does sound like a very well built unit though.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The True Trac does have some of the same characteristics as a locker in turns. It tends to push in wide turns (i.e. curves in the road) and if you let off the gas, it tends to twitch. It's worse on a short wheelbase. Detroit doesn't recommend it with tires over 32" in diameter. If you don't want to take the chance, you could still do better than the Ford TracLoc with another limited slip, like the Auburn or the Eaton.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 PM
windsor seems to really know his stuff when it comes to rear ends

Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 PM
I have been running a True Trac in the rear for about 6 or 7 months now. I am in southeastern Michigan and I got the unit specifically because I hunt in places where I often encounter deep snow, mud, or loose gravel. I can tell you, I really love this differential. It is seamless in operation. No noise, no ratcheting, no clanks. During regular pavement driving it behaves like an open differential. In snow or mud, you suddenly just start getting traction. I have been vacillating over putting another True Trac in the front or going with an e-locker or something similar in front. The above statements regarding the handling characteristics only apply to a front diff True Trac. In the rear there is no noticeable change from a stock open or LS differential.

HYPO

Old 03-21-2009, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any type of LS is setting yourself up for disappointment at some point. When they do slip, that $550 you spent is going to be in vain.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:14 AM
I wouldn't worry about the tire size. If you guys swear by that crap then no one would run over a 35" tire with yukon's because the manual says 35" max on the 8.8.

I've got a truetac and love it. I didn't want a locker because I drive in a good amount of ice. Ice + locker means snow bank city, no thanks!

Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
any type of LS is setting yourself up for disappointment at some point. When they do slip, that $550 you spent is going to be in vain.
The things about a True Trac that are different than a standard clutch type LS differential are: 1) the differential is gear driven and requires no maintainance or rebuilding, ever. 2) If one tire starts to slip, you can lightly apply the brakes and that wheel will then lock up. For me, this unit offers most of the best of both worlds with few of the disadvantages. For the occaisional off roader, like me, it works very well. If you are a frequent or hard core off roader, you might want something different.

HYPO

Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 PM
try an ECTED from Auburn.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 PM
OEM LS is worthless.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 PM
When my LS goes, I'm installing a locker for sure!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
When my LS goes, I'm installing a locker for sure!
How much will that run you?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Thats where i am at...

LS: not worth the money

locker: not good for ice

Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am just going to allow them to service the OEM LS. A TrueTrac or similar "improved" LS would be nice, but I don't know that the extra $500 for another type of limited slip is worth it. I really don't want a locker for my truck as it really only sees tough offroading 2-3 times per year on trips up to the sand dunes, and I have to drive in Michigan winters and I hear that full lockers are not good for ice and snow.

Someday I will have a dedicated offroad rig and a daily driver, until then I will have to make compromises like this.

Thanks again

Last edited by jimc2004; 03-22-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by jimc2004
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am just going to allow them to service the OEM LS. A TrueTrac or similar "improved" LS would be nice, but I don't know that the extra $500 for another type of limited slip is worth it. I really don't want a locker for my truck as it really only sees tough offroading 2-3 times per year on trips up to the sand dunes, and I have to drive in Michigan winters and I hear that full lockers are not good for ice and snow.

Someday I will have a dedicated offroad rig and a daily driver, until then I will have to make compromises like this.

Thanks again

Your truck looks really good.

Quick Reply: New rear end - oem LS or TrueTrac