2004 - 2008 F-150

Shock Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock Installation

I'm an idiot...Can someone please find me the previous post for the front and rear shock installation on a 2006 F150 2WD, no lift. I'm putting on Bilsteins this weekend and wanna make sure I have everything I need. I can't find the post I had seen before. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
try the search feature.the rear shocks are pretty much self explanatory and the front you are going to have to get them springs off either with a spring compressor or find a shop that will switch your springs to the new shocks.maybe try looking for leveling kit installation to find out how to replace the front shocks because they have to be removed anyhow.try that out.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 PM
For someone who has installed front/rear on 2WD...What is the size of the nut on top and bottom of the front/rear struts?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive got a 4wd but im pretty sure they are the same size. its been a while since i changed mine so ill have to check tomorrow and see what sockets you will need. i do know that you also have to disconnect the tie rod end from the steering knuckle, its only one bolt so its pretty simple. i had to disconnect the upper control arm also but the repair manual doesnt mention anything about that so it might not be necessary.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I think the rears were like 13-15mm i can't remember they're simple.

For the front you're going to need to jack it up on the frame and put it on jackstands. Take off the tierod. loosening the upperball joint nut and take the bottum one off. Get the bottum one out so you can swing the spindle out of the way. take off or loosen the 3 strut bolts on the top then use a 30 and 36mm socket to get the bottum strut bolt out. You might have to use a pry bar to pull down on the control arm to get it out of the way to get the strut out.

Then you got to have them switch the struts out at a shop with a spring compressor

Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Does the truck need an alignment after swapping out the front shocks?
I got a shop to quote $150 to replace all four shocks on the truck, does that seem reasonable?
I've done the job before on a different vehicle and know how involved it is, so I'm considering having it done for me. Rears are pretty simple, but the fronts are a bit more difficult.
BTW, I found that Autozone has all the tools necessary for rent...spring compressor, 36mm socket, torque wrench.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by swhite005
Does the truck need an alignment after swapping out the front shocks?
I got a shop to quote $150 to replace all four shocks on the truck, does that seem reasonable?

BTW, I found that Autozone has all the tools necessary for rent...spring compressor, 36mm socket, torque wrench.
kind of a yes/no answer for you. if the shocks are 100% identical...then no

if the shocks are an aftermarket company...they could be a slightly different height. even 1/8" to 1/4" can affect the ride height for the front end.

I'd get an alignment just in case. if you don't, just watch the tires for even wear and that they don't cup the outside edges

btw, $150 for the install is awesome. The shop is aware the truck has coil-overs right? and it's not the standard 2 bolt swap of yesteryear?

you need a spring compressor, metric tools, 30mm socket (deepwell if able), 1 1/16" wrench, torque wrench, big *** hammer, vice grips

Originally Posted by bigchief2472000
i do know that you also have to disconnect the tie rod end from the steering knuckle, its only one bolt so its pretty simple. i had to disconnect the upper control arm also but the repair manual doesnt mention anything about that so it might not be necessary.
you only disconnect 2 things when you remove the front coil-overs from a 4x2 or a 4x4

1. the upper ball joint
2. the sway bar end-link

could say 3 I guess...there are those 3 nuts ontop of the coil-over perch

once you pop the upper ball joint and the sway bar connection, the lower control arm falls down and the coil-over will essentially "fall out". you may have to push the control arm slightly downwards

Quick Reply: Shock Installation