2004 - 2008 F-150

Help w/ diagnoses...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help w/ diagnoses...

Have a 2005 Screw 4x4 - 100% stock except 2" auto spacer and aal in rear for about 25K miles. Lately when turning from a stop I get a shudder. I do have lsd but I don't think its that b/c it feels like something is binding in front when I turn tight. Almost like the fornt wheel is locking. Took wheels off and calipers aren;t sticking and don't see any grease from any of the boots. Could lose/bad ball joints do this? Or would it be a tie rod?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know if this would apply, but its a thought. I work for a ambulance service and we have E350's (dually). We have had a couple of these arrive NEW and have a very bad vibration when you turn like the brakes were dragging, and each time this has happened we sent them back to the local dealership and the rear end was going bad, with only a couple hundred ,miles on them. Not sure what part was bad but they just replaced the entire thing housing and all. I could be wrong but your problems sounds very similar.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:16 AM
If you are talking about just a slight turn on take off, most likely the clutch packs in the rear axle. Very common. You could try to add some friction modifier to the axle and see what happens. If it is during severe turning, could be the front hubs are engaged (I am taking for granted it is a 4 by 4).

Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Well it shudders a bit on take off from a start just going stright. But in a hard slow speed turn, like in a parking lot, it feel like the wheel locks and shudders. Almost like the front brake is grabbing. Checked the brakes and that aint it. Spun the wheels and they turn freely Not as freely as I would like but theres so much sand/salt around here that its full of crud.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
might just be the front tires slipping on the sand and salt...mine has done that before

Old 03-01-2009, 07:49 AM
I changed rear diff fluid and it went away 65% of the time. Have about 500 miles with new fluid so far. My guess is you guys were right about the ltd slp clutches. I used Royal Purple which included friction modifier. I may buy the Ford modifier and ad that as well and see if that removes the other 35%. The oil fluid was nasty looking....yuck.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:23 AM
It sounds like 4wd is engaged to me.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM
My truck has been doing the same thing for months now. Started out just doing it in slow speed turns from a stop and got to the point where it would sometimes shudder going straight from a stop. Finally took it to the dealer yesterday and had the clutch packs replaced. Cost about $900.

To top it off I just spend about $500 replacing a hub actuator and solenoid for my 4X4 back in January.

Wish I would have bought an extended warranty now.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
$900 to replace clutch packs?!?! They must have done something else. Was something broken in there?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
I changed rear diff fluid and it went away 65% of the time. Have about 500 miles with new fluid so far. My guess is you guys were right about the ltd slp clutches. I used Royal Purple which included friction modifier. I may buy the Ford modifier and ad that as well and see if that removes the other 35%. The oil fluid was nasty looking....yuck.
It was suggested a few years ago that it helped to go to an empty parking lot and do a bunch of figure eights so the lubricant will be worked into the clutches. They claimed that fixed their problem.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by arrabil
$900 to replace clutch packs?!?! They must have done something else. Was something broken in there?
I'll have to double check the bill when I get home. The total bill was $997. I had the rear brake pads replaced which was about $58 + labor, and had the oil changed as well which was $30.
They didn't say anything was broken.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:29 PM
AND they had the brakes apart already!!!

If I can be so bold as to make a recommendation....

My tried and true methods for finding a mechanic:
1) Find the garage with the owner's house on the same property. Never gotten ripped off or even overcharged at such a place. The owner has lower costs and well, you know where he lives.
2) If the owner is always in the shop, thats gonna be a place that mimics the personality of the owner. If the owner is a *****, you will be ripped off and cheated regularly. If the owner is a great guy, you will be treated that way by everyone.

But you need to avoid the stealership until its a problem the other mechanic tells you HAS to go to the dealer. And even then some of them will send it out for you because they get a better rate.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
The oil fluid was nasty looking....yuck.
Was the oil milky looking?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by arrabil
AND they had the brakes apart already!!!

If I can be so bold as to make a recommendation....

My tried and true methods for finding a mechanic:
1) Find the garage with the owner's house on the same property. Never gotten ripped off or even overcharged at such a place. The owner has lower costs and well, you know where he lives.
2) If the owner is always in the shop, thats gonna be a place that mimics the personality of the owner. If the owner is a *****, you will be ripped off and cheated regularly. If the owner is a great guy, you will be treated that way by everyone.

But you need to avoid the stealership until its a problem the other mechanic tells you HAS to go to the dealer. And even then some of them will send it out for you because they get a better rate.
They said the brakes would have been more had they not already been working on the truck. They were $50 for parts and $25 for labor.

I looked again and the clutch packs were $802.10. Parts were:
QTY 1: Spacer 225265 192.48
QTY 2: Seal 186505 6.98
QTY 3: 75W140 12.99
QTY 1: Additive 4.99
Total: 250.40
Labor: 551.70

Then they had the nerve to ask if I wanted to have the 60,000 mile service done. That would have been another $500. Hell no! I can do all of that by myself. I might have the transmission fluid done somewhere just because I don't want to deal with the potential mess in my garage.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Wow. They charged you full retail on everything. And they must have charged you actual hours spent instead of book rate on the labor. And then given it to the rookie. I would never go back there again. Never.