2004 - 2008 F-150

How to route a wire in the cab - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to route a wire in the cab - need help!

I'm in the process of hard-wiring my GPS. I tapped into the #1 fuse in the fusebox to get accessory power so that my GPS will only come on when the truck is turned on. I have the GPS mounted and the wire run down through the dash.

Now for my dillema. HOW DO I GET THE WIRE FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE TO THE PASSENGER SIDE FOOTWELL???

I have the female cig. lighter running out of the fusebox and I need to connect the male end from my GPS to it but I can't really see how to run the wire through. I think it's long enough to reach all the way, but if I need to get an extension I can pick one up at Wal-Mart for a few bucks.
I have a 2005 Supercrew without the flow-through console. What is that black thing on the floor? Something to do with the a/c I assume?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:38 PM
i believe that black thing is somethin w/ the A/C, not sure though, dont know much about the 04-08 trucks, just run it under the dash then down the kick panel on the pass. side

Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Well I can't really see how to get it through the center part of the dash. Is there a trick to getting it through the middle?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 PM
i think there is a little gap between the console and firewall

Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 PM
There is a ton of room to work if you take the radio out to get your arms in the dash. That is how I ran my wire. You might also want to extend your wires on the female plug, or just pay and get an extension.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Take out the radio!!! Get a shop light or good flash light and you'll be set. There is TONS of room in there... heck, I could probably hide a 12 pack of beer in there and still fit the radio.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 PM

I actually ran the wire the right through the vent at the bottom of the dash. It fit quite nicely. I live in Florida and only use the floor heater a handful of times a year, and I figured since it hasn't melted the plastic of the vents, I shouldn't run into any problems with the cord. I did have to get an extension though. I was about 6 inches short. And all I could find was a 10 foot extension. Good thing there's tons of room behind the fuse box to hide the wires. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow or something in case anyone is interested ih how I did it. The best part is that I didn't have to cut or splice any of the vehicles wiring and everything I did is easily reversible should I change my mind on how I have it set up.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by tardman91
I actually ran the wire the right through the vent at the bottom of the dash. It fit quite nicely. I live in Florida and only use the floor heater a handful of times a year, and I figured since it hasn't melted the plastic of the vents, I shouldn't run into any problems with the cord. I did have to get an extension though. I was about 6 inches short. And all I could find was a 10 foot extension. Good thing there's tons of room behind the fuse box to hide the wires. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow or something in case anyone is interested ih how I did it. The best part is that I didn't have to cut or splice any of the vehicles wiring and everything I did is easily reversible should I change my mind on how I have it set up.
The floor vent position will only get up to barely 140F and that's if you are crazy and run it in the middle of the summer.

Plus it will NEVER get hotter than ~200F, because your engine is water cooled and that is when the thermostat opens.

So you are good to go.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Plenty of room under the driver side dash, pull out the radio and there is enough room for a small keg in the center, and behind the glovebox there is room to run wires on the passenger side over to the passenger kick plate. Easy stuff. You can find pictures of my navigation system install on my truck's website by clicking the picture below. Be sure to click the "mod notes" button for the detail.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 01-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by yetti96
There is a ton of room to work if you take the radio out to get your arms in the dash. That is how I ran my wire. You might also want to extend your wires on the female plug, or just pay and get an extension.
ditto on this. I have wires running in every direction now it seems. I do have the flowthrough but I was amazed at howmuch empty room there was behind the radio area. then go crazy with the zipties to keep everything tight and clean.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 AM

Yeah, I figured there was a way behind the radio, but I didn't feel like taking anything apart. The way I did it it's easy to yank the cord if I ever need to use the GPS in another car too.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by tardman91
Yeah, I figured there was a way behind the radio, but I didn't feel like taking anything apart. The way I did it it's easy to yank the cord if I ever need to use the GPS in another car too.
There is no need to take the radio out, just pop off the bezel and run the wires through there.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have found a better way to run the wire than through the vents....I have all kinds of wires behind my dash, its all about tieing them up and keeping it neat

Quick Reply: How to route a wire in the cab - need help!