2004 - 2008 F-150

Gas Stolen - Filler Tube Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gas Stolen - Filler Tube Damage?

Some time between Saturday night and Sunday morning, some slime ball helped himself to ALL the gas from my tank. They stole about 20 gallons total.

My truck was parked in the street right in front of the house. Our camper was in the driveway, so no room for the truck. We live on a cul-de-sac, and there is a street light right in the middle. The outdoor lights on the front of our house were on too. The officer taking the report said the theif was pretty bold to do this in such an illuminated area on a dead-end street.

What REALLY freaked me out the next morning was what my daughter said. She came home around 11:30, and said somelthing had her feeling really creepy when she pulled up and parked in the driveway in front of the camper. She double checked that her doors were locked and ran into the house. The thief did not take any gas from the Jeep. She parked it at the end of the driveway, about 20 feet from the truck. The thought that she could have encountered the thief in the act of stealing is very unsettleing to me. She has a Black Belt, so she would be fine. The thought just makes my skin crawl.

The damage: THANK GOD above they didn't drill my tank! The silver metal flapper in the filler neck has been punched out. I'm not sure what other damage may have been done to the filler tube. I understand there is a saftey valve in the filler tube, as well as a screen to keep out solids. I imagine both of them are damaged too.

It looks like a new filler tube is over $200, and I'd have to drop the tank to install it. Is it even worth it to replace the filler tube? I hate to spend all that money and time to repair it, only to have a slimeball break it again.

I considered a locking gas cap too, but that may just encourage tank-drilling next time.

This really sucks. It seems if I take measures to prevent theft, the thieves will just do more damage to get the fuel.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 AM
That really sucks, I would start with a locking gas cap and maybe a billet fuel door with a lock. And if you dont have one get an alarm and make it sensitive.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
That really sucks, I would start with a locking gas cap and maybe a billet fuel door with a lock. And if you dont have one get an alarm and make it sensitive.
Sensitive isnt the answer there. Just get a pinswitch on the fuel door.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Just a thought, but how old is your daughter? If she is 21 yet, she can apply for a concealed handgun permit and carry a snub nose .38 special. It sucks about the fuel tank, but I'm sure that comes second to her safety.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I like the idea of the locking billet fuel door. Seems better than a locking cap. Looks good too. May as well order one for the Jeep too. Both vehicles live outside in the driveway.

I've looked but don't see any metal fuel tank skid plates for F150's. The OEM one is plastic, and will not make drilling the tank any tougher.

Thieves do suck!

My daughter is only 16. She's a good shot, but not ready for a CCW.

Last edited by A2SuperCrew; 10-20-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man. I'd get a locking gas cap.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by A2SuperCrew
I like the idea of the locking billet fuel door. Seems better than a locking cap. Looks good too. May as well order one for the Jeep too. Both vehicles live outside in the driveway.

I've looked but don't see any metal fuel tank skid plates for F150's. The OEM one is plastic, and will not make drilling the tank any tougher.

Thieves do suck!

My daughter is only 16. She's a good shot, but not ready for a CCW.
Hmm well some pepper spray or something could also help her out by disabling her attacker so she could karate the hell out of them or run away. Always good to be prepared
I'm lucky to live in VA. Open carry here is legal at 18 and I will be 20 in 2 weeks The FX4 skid plate is metal I thought?

Last edited by CRF250rider1000; 10-20-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Unbelieavable....seems as the economy gets worse the scumb bags do as well.
I feel your pain, if it's not gas, it's car parts.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor
If you need to buy a new tube check ut our website the prices should be much lower than the local dealer.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Well, I ran out to Advanced Auto Parts at lunch and picked up a Stant locking fuel cap for $15. It even fits the OEM cap tether.

Part Number 11510.

I picked one up for our Jeep TJ too. Both vehicles live out in the driveway, so I'm protecting both.

Thanks for the link to your site. I haven't decided if I'll replace the filler tube. I suppose if I don't replace it I run the risk of the broken off metal flap getting into the tank. Especially if the thief broke the screen farther down.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
chances are the same guy wont hit you again.

maybe you can make some sort of diamond plate skid plate for the gas tank, that would be very hard to drill through

Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Question Question?

Do I have to drop the fuel tank to replace the filler tube?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM
wow im sorry to hear that happened to you, but the same thing happened to me about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I just got a gas cap with a lock and i bought a new fuel filter, just in case they might of thought of putting something else in the tank, which you might want to do aswell just in case... the one thing i was wondering is if i do not get anything replaced how will it effect my truck? Cause those lil flaps that cover are gone but my tuck has been running fine... So i would like to hear what Yall have to say?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:49 PM
you might be able to get it off by taking the rear tire off and working right there. If not just loosen the straps with the impact a little bit to drop it down

Old 10-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you could take the bed off instead of dropping the tank....

Quick Reply: Gas Stolen - Filler Tube Damage?