2004 - 2008 F-150

Blown Head Gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I wouldnt go as far as putting that letter on the truck. You can tell the service advisor a few things like no wash, keep clean. But i gaurantee the tech working on your truck will take that as an insult. Most tech's arent greasy and dirty like everyone has in their mind's eye.

Take pictures, make notes of things, but dont bring that stuff up until after the fact... Just a simple, No wash, keep clean to the service advisor should do just fine.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you write that kind of letter thats just asking for someone to sabotage you because you are trating them like idiots, theyre not elementary school students

Old 10-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem your having. I'd be willing to bet though, that the detonation problem you had that was likely caused by the cheap low octane gas you were "experimenting" with is what led to the head gasket failing now. Contrary to what others are saying, the heavy loads you haul with that V6 played it's part in this as well. Heat, pressure and vibration are what cause head gaskets to fail, and no, just because your Scangauge or temp gauge don't show overheating under load doesn't mean there isn't damage occurring. You pull loads with your V6 that a V8 would have a hard time with.
I'm not trying to be an ***, but there's no shortage of threads you've started bragging about the things you do with your truck. That being said, hopefully they get your F150 fixed up PDQ and back on the road where it belongs.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Tbird69
Heat, pressure and vibration are what cause head gaskets to fail, and no, just because your Scangauge or temp gauge don't show overheating under load doesn't mean there isn't damage occurring. You pull loads with your V6 that a V8 would have a hard time with.
I'm not trying to be an ***, but there's no shortage of threads you've started bragging about the things you do with your truck. That being said, hopefully they get your F150 fixed up PDQ and back on the road where it belongs.
well put. I've been thinking the same thing since this thread started

Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Well, I brought it in this morning, they gave me a loaner SUV, which was a piece of junk, but loaded, Ford Edge.

So I think they are working on it all day, and 4 pm rolls around and I get a phone call from the service manager, and he told me that they put in the engine oil dye, and they drove it around, but didn't notice too much. He wants me to drive it around for about a week or so and just keep an eye on it. So I brought the loaner back, and picked up my truck.

Now on to the interesting part... Naturally thinking that I was going to need the loaner for a week or two, I filled it up with $50 in gas. I go to work and everything, and I only put like 30 miles on it or so. So when I come back to the dealer to pick up the truck, I told them my situation, and they gave me my $50 back. Not bad... a free ride to work.

However, the interesting part... I should never drive an automatic... ever! First I accidently set the ebrake while going 70 mph when I was attempting to downshift... but there was no clutch; there was an ebrake. Secondly, when I panicked, I tore the shifter off... tore it off in the sense that the whole unit popped out of the center console. As I am screeching down a 65 mph road, there are a few cars behind me, and they veer off to not to rear end me. Here's the funny thing: I didn't know how to undo the parking brake. I was looking for a lever or a switch or something, I didn't know you had to press down on it again... but it took me like 2 or 3 minutes to figure it out, and it didn't help that I was stuck in the middle of a busy highway with people nearly rearending me every minute or so, and lots of looks, beeps, and the such. When I got destinated, I noticed that the rear tires were out of round, contributing to the aweful noise I was hearing after my little incident.

I told the service manager when I returned the Edge about what happened. He chuckled, and said, "it happens, as I've done that once or twice myself".

Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude,
Reading this thread makes my head hurt...

Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Cool

I don't post much here ...and I certainly don't post negative things when I do, but I think I speak for most when I say you seem " special " .

Why would you clean all of the leaking oil off your engine ? That only gives them a reason to deny a repair is needed.

In all of the five speeds I have ever driven, I have never had a clutch pedal located close to where the e-brake pedal is.

Sorry, I just don't get it ......

Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StoveTop
Dude,
Reading this thread makes my head hurt...
I'm glad that I'm not the only one!.........

Old 10-09-2008, 05:42 PM
yeah my head kinda hurts too...

as for the e-brake....dude are you all there? never in my wildest dreams would I decide to put my foot as close to the side of the truck as possible and push in a pedal when I had no shifter to shift and no pedal even remotely close to where a clutch would be.

I drove a standard from the ages of 16-21 and I could hop into an automatic and have no problems...I would have the occasional reach for the emergency brake release...thats it...I operate heavy equipment for a living...I can hop from a backhoe with deere controls to an excavator with ISO Cat controls and not miss a beat...How is it that you push an e-brake instead of a clutch because you are so "used to" a standard?...

AAAAAAND then you say you flattened out the tires???? what were you doing just taking a 5 mile drive with your rear tires locked up for s&g??? and how much pressure do you have to put on your clutch...you have to slam an e-brake to the floor with alot of pressure to get the wheels to lock up...

Are you trying to impress us?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by bjp207
yeah my head kinda hurts too...

as for the e-brake....dude are you all there? never in my wildest dreams would I decide to put my foot as close to the side of the truck as possible and push in a pedal when I had no shifter to shift and no pedal even remotely close to where a clutch would be.

I drove a standard from the ages of 16-21 and I could hop into an automatic and have no problems...I would have the occasional reach for the emergency brake release...thats it...I operate heavy equipment for a living...I can hop from a backhoe with deere controls to an excavator with ISO Cat controls and not miss a beat...How is it that you push an e-brake instead of a clutch because you are so "used to" a standard?...

AAAAAAND then you say you flattened out the tires???? what were you doing just taking a 5 mile drive with your rear tires locked up for s&g??? and how much pressure do you have to put on your clutch...you have to slam an e-brake to the floor with alot of pressure to get the wheels to lock up...

Are you trying to impress us?
Well put. That's why I have little to no sympathy for Manual F150 and his problems, 95% of which he creates himself.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Hope they loan better than the craphole Fenton Ford here in Dumas, TX.
Last time I had to fight for a loaner even under warranty and ended up with a fekkin used Saturn!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 PM
anyone ignorant enough to push an e-brake hard enough to get the rear brakes to lock up for 2-3 minutes because they thought it was their clutch causes 100% of their problems...95% is far to small a percentage

Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by bjp207
anyone ignorant enough to push an e-brake hard enough to get the rear brakes to lock up for 2-3 minutes because they thought it was their clutch causes 100% of their problems...95% is far to small a percentage
I was trying to be diplomatic, but I like the way you think.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm speechless..... it takes a special kind of stupid to pull that off....

Tell ya what... go back to the scene and snap some pics of the skid marks.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Well, I took my lights off that almost cost me my truck, and when I was underneath pulling off the rubber grommet for the inside of the cab, near the engine/transmission, I noticed the entire drivers side lower block covered in crankcase oil. I looked at it close with my shop light, and sure enough, right from the freakin' head gasket. So I brought it down to my dealer, and I had them lift it, and I pointed it out. We had 4 techs, including myself, agreed that I needed a new gasket.

I've got it scheduled for Wednesday to have them commence work on it. Plus they are making sure I get a loaner. The girl who operates the service desk felt like wicked bad for me because I blew through 4 transmissions with my '03 Ford Escape, with a 32 day work period. She made a comment, "You got rid of your crappy Escape, and bought a much better vehicle, and you are still having problems. I never seen someone with so many problems with vehicles." They said it will take about 2 to 3 weeks or more depending on complications. At least I will be getting a loaner... hopefully a Mustang or a better yet a truck. Who knows.

I'm just annoyed and upset. But theres nothing I can do.

What in the world were you doing with that '03 Escape and how was it equiped? I bought my wife a new '03 Escape XLS V6 Automatic. It now has just over 66K miles on it and no major problems. I even towed a trailer with it for some time before buying my used '04 F150 a year ago. So, I've asked the Escape to do some work.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket!