2004 - 2008 F-150

HVAC and Battery Fix????

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC and Battery Fix????

I need a little explaining done for me. I’m not new to auto’s and have worked on them my entire life from tranny’s to motor rebuilds, but I recently ran into a fix that seems strange. My truck is a 2004, Lariat 4x4, and 90K on the odometer and averaged around 330 miles per tank (13.2 mpg) mostly highway.

I have been having problems with my trucks A/C for the past 6 months blowing hot air intermittently, never cold enough, AC clutch cycling and most recently no cold air except when the floor/vent button along with recirc was active. Freon charge good with no leaks found and I have the EATC.

Over the last month or so, I noticed that it would take a little longer for the truck to start and the turnover of the motor was sluggish and when it did start the throttle response was lagging (not previously, I have an EDGE).

Since the starting was sluggish and the battery is nearly 5 years old I thought it was a good time to replace the battery. I purchased and installed a new battery and as soon as I started the truck everything began working correctly.

It’s only been 3 days but the air is so cold that it automatically goes down to the lowest speed in just a few minutes (Florida and 95 degrees) and the throttle response has greatly improved as well as my gas mileage (currently 15.2). So…can someone tell me how the system works? I have disconnected the battery several times in the past with no change in symptoms and the only difference now was the battery was replaced. Obviously the battery was the issue but I thought once the truck started the charging system took over (I checked it too and it checked out good).

Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM
You got me.

Guess I will get a new battery if it gets me another 2 mpg and colder ac.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Your truck's name isn't by chance, Christine? is it?

Maybe the triple bypass perpendicular valve was stuck?

Last edited by Blue150; 09-17-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Blue150
Your truck's name isn't by chance, Christine? is it?

Maybe the triple bypass perpendicular valve was stuck?
LOL....Actually I figured it out...the flux capacitor was stuck at the base of the thingamabobb, so the world is great!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could it be when the battery was disconnected and power was removed from the pcm it had to relearn and it was reset?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I might have a related issue...

I've had issues with my battery dying if the truck sits for a few days without use. I've also had the compressor not come on due to a relay sticking.
I'm wondering if that same relay might not get stuck in the on position and drain the battery?

I was convinced it was the audio system, but I've replaced just about everything in it...

hmmm...

Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by garo1
LOL....Actually I figured it out...the flux capacitor was stuck at the base of the thingamabobb, so the world is great!
Ah, the old flux capacitor stuck in the base of the thingamabobb syndrome...seen it once, seen it a million times..... That was my next guess.

Quick Reply: HVAC and Battery Fix????