2004 - 2008 F-150

CB Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it from autoanything.com. Maybe just because I'm a bit short in the seat but I had really bad glare off the dash. This really helps protect the dask and my eyes.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by Impact9
Right here where I put mine. That's a DIN size radio adapter that is ever so slightly modified to allow the larger than DIN sized CB to fit in there. It's a tight, very tight fit. The bottom of the adapter was one of those cubby hole types. I cut the bottom of the hole out and secured it to the top of what was left. It's very solid since it's such a tight fit.

That's a nice set-up. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Suspended
impact9 so your saying ur radio is in place with just pressure from the radio holder and nothing else

Old 12-09-2008, 02:55 AM
if your refering the the headunit, no it's mounted correctly. The CB area of the mount is modified. Where the CB is there used to be a small cubby hole that was about 3 inches deep. I cut out the back, sides, and bottom of that recessed area. Then used mounting screws threw the top to connect to the CB.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Suspended
i was talking about the cb because i wanna do something like this with my cobra 19

Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 AM
if your refering the the headunit, no it's mounted correctly. The CB area of the mount is modified. Where the CB is there used to be a small cubby hole that was about 3 inches deep. I cut out the back, sides, and bottom of that recessed area. Then used mounting screws threw the top to connect to the CB.
i'm contemplating doing something similar and i have an aftermarket radio install just like that. what did you use to cut the plastic away?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by tmoneysju
i'm contemplating doing something similar and i have an aftermarket radio install just like that. what did you use to cut the plastic away?

Call crutchfield, they have the bracket that has two din openings.

Last edited by WaWaTuSi; 12-19-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by WaWaTuSi
Call crutchfield, they have the bracket that has two din openings.

Holy smokes batman, talk about some RF being produced. Edge/gryphon, gps, ipod classic, iphone (gps again, lol), either speakerphone/handsfree or ionic air cleaner thingy, and a huge cb/weather band. What do you carry on your belt?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by yetti96
Holy smokes batman, talk about some RF being produced. Edge/gryphon, gps, ipod classic, iphone (gps again, lol), either speakerphone/handsfree or ionic air cleaner thingy, and a huge cb/weather band. What do you carry on your belt?

Under the stereo is the speaker for the Icom 0-500mhz transciever. It is an alpine center channel speaker.

The base of the unit is mounted behind the back seat away from the front area. It is an Icom IC-706MKIIG HF/VHF/UHF all mode, unlocked.

Good Ground and no interference....

Old 12-20-2008, 12:39 PM
the double din type you posted won't work cause the din opening isn't wide enough. I had to use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to trim the plastic of the single din mounting kit. I'll pop the trim off a take a picture of it here in a bit.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by WaWaTuSi

Under the stereo is the speaker for the Icom 0-500mhz transciever. It is an alpine center channel speaker.

The base of the unit is mounted behind the back seat away from the front area. It is an Icom IC-706MKIIG HF/VHF/UHF all mode, unlocked.

Good Ground and no interference....
Nice ICOM...

I'm running Yaesu FT-2800M in my rig...

My callsign is KC2QQR...

73's!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:53 PM
You'd love my RF sig haha! What you can't see in the photo is the additional hand held scanner, secondary Garmin GPS on windshield, TV on the headunit, laptop w/GPS & radar provided by blackberry over internet, the Yaesu FT-8900R mounted below the laptop. I love the Yaesu. Rock solid performance.Second display is feeding off the laptop with GPS/weather overlay.

Ok I have to take some of the stuff I said before back. I used the cubby hole method on this CB since it wasn't as wide or as tall as my new one.

Here's my current CB installation. The brackets on the side are from my kids erector set. I actually had to cut all the lower half of the adapter off to make it fit in. It's a tight fit on the sides so you'll be pressed to find some thin brackets to make this fit.

Last edited by Impact9; 12-20-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Damn Impact9!!! You've got a rolling office.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:10 PM
You'd love my RF sig haha! What you can't see in the photo is the additional hand held scanner, secondary Garmin GPS on windshield, TV on the headunit, laptop w/GPS & radar provided by blackberry over internet, the Yaesu FT-8900R mounted below the laptop. I love the Yaesu. Rock solid performance.Second display is feeding off the laptop with GPS/weather overlay.

Ok I have to take some of the stuff I said before back. I used the cubby hole method on this CB since it wasn't as wide or as tall as my new one.

Here's my current CB installation. The brackets on the side are from my kids erector set. I actually had to cut all the lower half of the adapter off to make it fit in. It's a tight fit on the sides so you'll be pressed to find some thin brackets to make this fit.
Do you have a picture of how your Yaesu is installed? Is it in the dash or somewhere else. My old 2meter died and I am in the market for a new one but I want to figure where I am going to mount it before I get it. My old one was in a custom panel in place of the console "bucket" but I want to get the stuff out of my console and in the dash as much as possible. I am going to mount an aftermarket head unit and my Uniden BCT8 in a double DIN mount and was looking at the area where the ashtray and cig lighter are as possible locations for the 2meter. I have never seen anybody mount anything there but if there is good depth, the ashtray location would be great. I haven't had my dash apart yet though so I don't know what is back there.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 PM

I mounted my remote face to my laptop ram-mount using screws. If you have the over head rails you might consider putting the remote up there and putting the tuner under the seat. I also thought of mounting it to the left of the glare shield on top of the dash sort of hidden there with the state inspection sticker on the windshield. The back of the remote mount adapter is flush and really light so you could use to Velcro to put it just about anywhere.

Quick Reply: CB Install