2004 - 2008 F-150

Firestone IDIOTS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight05
i agree... stuff happens... but when stuff happens.... your fix the stuff. The claims department seems like a pretty reasonable place. i talked to them today and they seem like they are willing to fix it all. which is good. whether or not they follow through is a different story. right now i have pretty good leverage with the documentation in my possesion. i also have written confirmation from the manager of the store stating that they were the ones that damaged the wheels. i think they are going to be reimbursing me the cost of another alignment shop to align the truck properly. i am taking the truck into gainesville ford tomorrow to have them look at the front end and make sure nothing else was damaged when that bolt came loose while i was driving it. the claims department agreed that i should have that done. so far its going pretty well.
Good to hear that things are looking bright for you know. Places like that are not always careful and just really don't give a crap for other peoples stuff sometimes. Not saying that everyone there is but there are the few bad ones. Just glad that they are cooperating at the moment.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1badstx
don't worry.. I would use the outside hooks for your 22s.. I would probaly ask you to bring your stock rims though

and OP i figured you had those cheap pos 17" wheels i have

I agree.. shoulda did them on the outside but stuff happpens you know?
That's why I am keeping them.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:02 AM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I like running around in my 17's... with my P235/65R/17's... along with a 4x2 suspension...

But I like Patman's truck... his driveshaft is almost 0 degrees...

Mine is like 8 degrees....

Old 07-02-2008, 01:16 AM
I run far, far away from Firestone. I used to work there when I was 18. Now, I had always changed my own oil and done other routine maintenance things before I worked there. I had a slight idea how the engine worked, but as far as really knowing what I was doing, not a chance. I was hired on because a member of my fraternity was the assistant manager. I had no prior experience, qualifications, nothing. I'm a pretty fast learner and I only started as a oil guy, but within 5 months I moved into a technician spot. I was doing everything with virtually no supervision. I had no idea what I was doing most of the time.

(On a side note, I really gained from this experience because I got a crash course on how to do a lot of things on my own vehicle.) However, the bad news was I was learning all this information on other people's cars. I also was not the only one who didn't have a clue. Another fraternity brother of mine worked right beside and he knew much less than I did. He forgot to put oil back in several cars, two of which we replaced in the shop!
I never destroyed an engine, but I broke, stripped, and half-assed many of the jobs I did for the first time. Which brings me to a good point for the OP, Firestone always replaced what we screwed up.

So, before you take your truck to Firestone for any reason, just take a look at the kid sitting next to you at a red light with his radio blaring, bald tires, and a dirty truck, and just think of him working on your truck.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We built a truck for Sema a couple years ago with DJM arms, and they came loose about every month and a half, we had to tighten them up, then we just tacked them finally, but yes they do and will work loose. Dont know why, but they do. As far as alignment, when I did mine my caster was the same way, and my camber would not get all the way into spec, but it was close enough without takin drastic measures. I would not worry about it, mine drives fine, has not wore any tires out yet, and I have 22k miles. If you have never ran an alignment machine then give the guys a break. There is alot more to it than you think. My fusion was not even close on the rf after I lowered it, and the only thing I can do is by a new adjustable ball joint for the top for $250 bucks and then fight it because those things are a joke. Bottom line is, if the truck drives straight, and does not hop around on the road, I would drive it. Most trucks come out worse than that from the factory, you just never realize because you think new truck, no problems. Good Luck, not saying firestone messed it up, but in the service industry patience goes along way, especially if you want someone to help you.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:37 PM
i have worked an alignment machine before and while watching this guy align this truck i knew he had no clue what he was doing. i did get the truck aligned finally with the assistance of the district manager. (great guy) he admitted to me that the technition that was working on my truck was not supposed to be doing alignments. he said that the only reason that he was doing it is because the manager of the store let the alignment guy go home for the day and this guy said that he "wanted to try it." i dont have a problem letting someone align my truck. as far as the bolt issue goes.... i had that truck aligned in illinois. the next day i drove 867 miles straight to gainesville, fl without an issue. no loose bolts not nothing. i have it realigned here in gainesville and i drive 5 miles and get a ****ed up suspension. i am patient and that is why i have been having a good experience having the district manager help to solve the problems that occured. he is going to pay whatever to have the rims look good in my eyes. wait till i post the results of the alignment after that bolt came loose. youll crap yourself.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't let Firestone even look at my vehicles. last time they stripped out the Oil Plug and didn't bother to tell me. I found out when there was huge oil slick on my driveway and about 2 qts low in the pan

that same visit I had them replace the air filter. morons couldn't figure out how to unclip the air box lid...so they used a screwdriver to pry the lid off and snapped 2 of the hold-downs off.

took almost 1 month, but the Region Manager finally had it all fixed out of their pocket. My $60 service ended up costing them almost $200 because of stupid techs. The Durango in my sig pic is the one they FUBAR'd

Old 07-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
I don't let Firestone even look at my vehicles. last time they stripped out the Oil Plug and didn't bother to tell me. I found out when there was huge oil slick on my driveway and about 2 qts low in the pan

that same visit I had them replace the air filter. morons couldn't figure out how to unclip the air box lid...so they used a screwdriver to pry the lid off and snapped 2 of the hold-downs off.

took almost 1 month, but the Region Manager finally had it all fixed out of their pocket. My $60 service ended up costing them almost $200 because of stupid techs. The Durango in my sig pic is the one they FUBAR'd
Usually that's the last person that did the oil change

They usually put the plug back in too tight and that strips out the threads. They should have replaced the plug though, either way.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Since were on the subject of alignments i have a question? I have 24" rims and nobody wants to align my truck with them on but heres the question. My truck(lariat) came with 18's and i dont have them anymore but i have a new set of XLT 17's. Does it matter with the 17's or do i have to borrow a set of 18's to get an alignment?

Old 07-04-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had mine aligned with 17's.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
I had mine aligned with 17's.
But you have an XLT to start with stock 17's. Would that 1 inch make such a difference?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it doesn't matter what size rims you have...the 17" rims will be just fine. then slap your 24" rims back on when it's done.

Quick Reply: Firestone IDIOTS!!!