2004 - 2008 F-150

Scarred the BEEGEEZUS out of me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 05:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks, I'm gonna have them check the whole solenoid thing, Wednesday......I'll keep you informed.....your right though, Man it did scare the living crap out of me........I had no clue what was going down!.....:santa:

Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Update

Dropped off the Truck at the Dealers this morning at 0730Hrs., told them about the problem I experienced with my Hubs Christmas Eve, I also told them about the Possible caused, IWE Solenoid, Loss of Vacume, Possible damaged Hub Splines Etc. The Service guy just looked at me with a puzzled look on his face.....it was kinda funny......I'll keep ya posted on what their prognosis is! This Forum & information that is contained here is great! Thanks to everybody & their replies, & possible fixes!.............

Old 12-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 05 did the same thing. The "boom" was not that loud though but the same grinding. It was the IWEsolenoid. I went through 2 before they came out with a redesigned sometime in the past year. The problem was water getting in them causing them to go bad. I would think that your 07 would already have the redesigned one? But who knows maybe Ford likes the customers to have to come in with problems rather than I have it right before it leaves the factory when this is a documented problem

Old 12-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Just got the truck back!

Well, I just got the truck back from the Ford dealer......great service by the way! www.Tasca.com ! The service manager told me that they ran a check on the system & found that the IWE Soleniod needed to be replaced, due to moisture! They put an updated one in, supposedly more weather resistant. I also asked them of the Hub Splines were damaged, they stated that they looked at them & that they were fine! That is good! I want to thank everyone here for you accurate responses to a mechanical problem! Thanks!......You guys/Gals Rule!.......

Old 12-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad that's all it was. They got you fixed up quick.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Well, I just got the truck back from the Ford dealer......great service by the way! www.Tasca.com ! The service manager told me that they ran a check on the system & found that the IWE Soleniod needed to be replaced, due to moisture! They put an updated one in, supposedly more weather resistant. I also asked them of the Hub Splines were damaged, they stated that they looked at them & that they were fine! That is good! I want to thank everyone here for you accurate responses to a mechanical problem! Thanks!......You guys/Gals Rule!.......
Cool. I have bought parts online from Tasca before, very good service. Glad to hear you're back to normal.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Suspended
Now I know the part I need, glad to hear it was resolved quickly

Old 12-26-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if they really looked at the splines, but anyway. The old IWE solenoids used to get shorted out because water would drip down the pillar, or something to that nature. It had a TSB iirc. Glad they fixed it.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
I wonder if they really looked at the splines, but anyway. The old IWE solenoids used to get shorted out because water would drip down the pillar, or something to that nature. It had a TSB iirc. Glad they fixed it.
The Service advisor is a personal friend of mine, I've known him & his family since College....No worries!!! He actually helped me in deciding to go with the Factory Ford ESP......based on his personal experiences with whats he has seen in his shop, especially with a Shop Hourly rate at $90.00 an hour, boy he has some stories!!!...........

Old 12-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I just read another thread about this here. So after reading this, I'm thinking I should have mine replaced before the same thing happens to me. You said they replaced it with an updated IWE solenoid that was more water-resistant. Is there a new part number for the improved solenoid? How would I go about looking up the TSB?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah that was me! The only thing that I questioned the dealer on, besides the price, was how both failed at the same time. Because the motor is engaged by the Soleniod, and if one failed that would cause the other to not work. But they assured me that both were broken and needed to be replaced.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:10 PM
I just talked to mt dealer, and there is a TSB on this: #06815. However, until there's a recall or the problem manifests itself, it's not covered.

The solenoid is $26.60, and labor is only about $60, so it's probably something I can just do myself.

FWIW, they haven't seen this issue - yet...

Quick Reply: Scarred the BEEGEEZUS out of me!