2004 - 2008 F-150

CB antenna help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB antenna help

Hey guys...well i want to get the dual firestick cb antennas for xmas. Does the kit have everything i need? does the mount work like this? this is how i want to mount them
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g?t=1197744302
http://www.bellscb.com/products/ante..._FS3-64A9A.htm

Old 12-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Devin4X4
Hey guys...well i want to get the dual firestick cb antennas for xmas. Does the kit have everything i need? does the mount work like this? this is how i want to mount them
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g?t=1197744302
http://www.bellscb.com/products/ante..._FS3-64A9A.htm
Assuming your radio has PL-259 connectors, you are pretty much set to go if you bought that kit.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM
If you must run cophase (not recomended for vehicles no wider than a 150) Just mho.

Be sure to run a wire from each of the mounting brackets to the frame for a really solid ground.

Otherwise should be set.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:38 PM
I've heard theres really no point of running the duals but i really like the look. Oh well.. Im just worried about the mount is not what i want?

Old 12-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Home made stainless brackets. So they wont rust. Modified a set of stake pocket covers to give it a finished look. I took the cable off for a better clarity. The cable runs down between the cab and bed. Then it goes through the cab vent, under the trim on each side up to the Cobra CB. Other side is identical.

Name:  DSCN3853.jpg
Views: 10358
Size:  67.0 KB

Hope that helps.

Brian

Last edited by MN-F150; 12-16-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:13 PM
I just dont know if this is the bracket i want?
This is the one that comes with it? I want a clean look without the bracket sticking up.http://www.westcoastmall.net/firesti...-bracket/255/p
Think this is what i need
http://www.westcoastmall.net/firesti...na-mount/317/p

Old 12-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Arrow

you dont need dual anteanna's im running on a single 3ft firestick talking and listening 7 miles! W/cobra 29 ltd classic( straight out of the box)! If you want the look of dual then do the install for a single, application but dummy the otherside, put a cut of end on the anteanna run to match the opposing side. you have the looks of dual but the effects of a single, regardless of what anyone tells you they will cancel each other out. go with a single application, looks of a dual! IMO!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by MN-F150
Home made stainless brackets. So they wont rust. Modified a set of stake pocket covers to give it a finished look. I took the cable off for a better clarity. The cable runs down between the cab and bed. Then it goes through the cab vent, under the trim on each side up to the Cobra CB. Other side is identical.

Hope that helps.

Brian
That's pretty slick nice tonneau cover too

Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Devin4X4
I just dont know if this is the bracket i want?
This is the one that comes with it? I want a clean look without the bracket sticking up.http://www.westcoastmall.net/firesti...-bracket/255/p
Think this is what i need
http://www.westcoastmall.net/firesti...na-mount/317/p
The one you think your going to get with your kit, is desinged for commercial vehicle application w/round tubing for support arms for the side mirrors. And the one you want will require 4 holes in the top of your bed rail? Do you really want that? Then you will have to hang it over somewhere for the coxial to hook to the bottom of the mount, therefore if you turn it to the cab then under the condition of a body bender(cab one direction, bed in another) then you will smash this bracket into the rear of your cab, if you turn it outward the you will have the ugly wire hanging off the side of your bed, and if you turn it inwards( into bed space) then you will be knocking it off with things thrown in the truck! again just my opinion, dont take offense to my suggestions!!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by MN-F150

Hope that helps.

Brian
i like that look i will be stealing your design for my install when i get done being sick! i will be doing single use install w/dual look application!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dual firestiks are cute I guess. If you want good performance, not fake truckker looks, go with a 102" stainless steel whip instead...

Of course I tend to be very biased toward these antennas. I have used a LOT of different antenna rigs over the last 20 + years and found the 102" to work best for me...

Old 12-31-2007, 12:54 AM
heh I use to run a 102 way back in highschool on my t-bird. It looked retarded but worked great. I should put a whip on this truck on the bumper. Seen any good bumper mounts for our trucks?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Impact9
heh I use to run a 102 way back in highschool on my t-bird. It looked retarded but worked great. I should put a whip on this truck on the bumper. Seen any good bumper mounts for our trucks?
The O.E. rear bumpers on these trucks have a thick plastic tread that makes them somewhat incompatible with antenna mounting unless you want to use a mirror mount bolted through. Not exactly a pretty option.

The best location for an antenna is as close to the magnetic center of the vehicle, and as high up as you can go. I find that the middle of the top of my toolbox is ideal for me...

Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 PM
I've got a 4" firestick I have mag mounted on the roof. I only put it on when I'm out chasing storms or traveling. Can't quite fit through the drive thru with that thing on top. Figure a whip bent over from the bumper and strapped to the rack might work. But if the bumper is crap for that guess I'm stuck.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Not neccesarily. You just need to pop the tread off of the side you want to put the antenna on (I would go for drivers side. Aside from drive throughs, everything you are going to hit should be on the passengers side, like trees, street lights etc...).

The 4' Stik is a MUCH better antenna than the 3' one IMHO. The 3 footer is coiled just a bit too tightly for my tastes... A buddy of mine had one on a Baja bug years back and it rocked!

With that camper shell, you might seriously consider one of those firestik pocket mounts that put the antenna just outside the bed rail and clear of the body work. They are basically a flat bracket that has that rubber dealie that goes into the stake pocket and cinches down, the camper shell clamps over that, then the atnenna goes on. Mind you though, a 102" or a Predator 10K or similar big boy antenna is a heavy beast, and will make quick work of that mount if it isn't clamped down by the camper shell...

If you take the shell on and off like a lot of guys here do, forget what I just said above, and just go with the 102" mount on the bumper, and just live with you having better RX and TX toward the front of the rig... Your signal is going to go in the direction with more metal...

Oh yeah, and don't worry about the drive through. I love the looks of the kids at McD's when I beat the tar out of the drive through anyway. They can't believe it...

Quick Reply: CB antenna help