2004 - 2008 F-150

Fuel filter changed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter changed

I was forced to do some maintenance to my truck the last couple of days. I came out of Lowes the other day and noticed that one of my center caps was missing. So later that night I came home and put my stock wheels back on for the winter. I spent 2 hours cleaning the wheels up for next spring. So i decided to do a oil change and the fuel filter. The truck has only 19k miles on it for an 05. The fuel filter was easy, it only took 5 mins to change. I didn't touch the blue clip either. I took one of my a/c release tools out and used it to release the fittings. I then installed the new filter and pushed the little blue tab back in to lock the fitting. I reccommend changing the fuel filter alot sooner than 19k. I will probably do it at 10k, or once a year. The fuel looked like mud water, out of the back side of the filter. Change your FUEL FILTER...

Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Suspended
Another reason why I'm tuned and run 93. I changed at 15,000 miles and the gas was clear as the day it came out of the pump!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 PM
What did you use to clean the wheels with?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
What did you use to clean the wheels with?
I will probably get some flack by people here, but my wheels look brand new. I have a basement shower, so i roll a wheel into it and lay it down back side up. I then peel off all stick on weights. I use a product made by Carbrite, and remove the glue from the weights. I then use carb cleaner to remove where i marked the wheel positon with a sharpie pen. Then i use Westley's Bleach white and scrub the backside of the tire and rim. (Twice). This is the part where people will cringe... I use acid, (aluminum brightner) and flash the inside of the rim. It removes all of the brake dust. I quickly scrub the rim with the acid and rinse. Then i flip over the wheel and do the front side. The only thing i do different to the front is wash the rim first with soapy water to remove any dirt particles before i flash it.
I let them dry over night and take a sharpie and mark the inside of the rim what position they go on in the spring. Now i use never dull and remove any spots that i missed, then follow up with Mothers Mag polish. It takes some time, but when i get spring fever, i'm ready.
The guys at Discount Tire can't believe how nice the rims and tires look when they balance and install them for me. I also do the same to the stock wheels. I had the truck back into the dealer last fall for some rearend work, and the mechanic said " I see you got new wheels" I just laughed and said i just switched back to these for the winter.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Nice.

Thank you.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just picked up my 2006 about a week ago...20,500 miles. After reading here and seeing all the picks I decided changing the fuel filter was simple and a good thing to do.

Picked up a filter Friday at Advance Auto. Early this AM went out to change. Removed the old filter and then.............turns out I picked up the wrong replacement (apparently a couple of different filters used on the 2006). Went back to exchange and they didn't carry the one I needed. Got a refund.

Went to Wally World...no filter. Went to O'Reily. Picked up a WIX that looked like the right one (line diameter, etc.)

Put it in the bracket.......hooked up the metal coupler on the front......then the metal retainer clip would not go on because the filter shaft was not long enough. Unhooked the line, removed filter and brought it back to O'Reily. They doubled checked and the only option was the one I attempted to install.

Tried Autozone........no filter.

Oh well..........it's Sunday......backflushed the old filter with the fuel line from my boat and reinstalled it.

I guess my truck just didn't need a new fuel filter today.

Maybe I can find one at the dealer the next week or two.

Thanks to everyone here for all the great info on filter condition, coupler connections, etc. !!!!

Last edited by duckduke; 10-28-2007 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter changed