2004 - 2008 F-150

Quick question about changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question about changing spark plugs

I'm planning on changing my spark plugs soon here and was thinking of doing it myself.

Do you just pull them out and put them back in? Is it as simple as that? Do you just have to know how much to gap them to? And the torque value?

Any help appreciated.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Be sure to do a search & watch the video before you attempt this chore by yourself............

Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 PM
changing the spark plugs in these trucks aren't as easy as you may think, you shouldn't need to gap them but you need to worry about them breaking. Use the search, there are tons of posts

Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 PM
PLEASE! Don't let this morph into ANOTHER thread about breaking spark plugs.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 PM
use an electric 3/8 impact. It works great.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gatortech

please dont, no gapping, and spark plugs must follow a tsb or youll mess your self up or not, but search these forums and you will let loose hell

Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 PM
that would be fun to watch

Old 09-25-2007, 12:23 AM

Obviously you've never pulled the plugs on the 3v 5.4.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbird69

Obviously you've never pulled the plugs on the 3v 5.4.
Guessing you missed that was a joke,.......ha, ha.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:27 AM
i got the joke, i thought it was funny... but when jeremyGSU breaks 8 plugs cause he used an impact wrench, im not sure if he will be like "AHHH dood you got me man... good one HAHA"

Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by mengela
i got the joke, i thought it was funny... but when jeremyGSU breaks 8 plugs cause he used an impact wrench, im not sure if he will be like "AHHH dood you got me man... good one HAHA"

Haha. No I probably wouldn't. lol

I'll do some searching, thanks.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 AM
use anti sieze, just tighten until they are snug, most plugs come pre gaped however if you work around parts as much as i, you will know thats not always true so check the gap on every plug before installation unless your going with a dual tip platinum plug. also dont get the bosch, the ford ign system does not handle the plug well... and another thing is make sure to buy a platinum plug, i dont even want to tell you how many people just buy a standard plug and put it in these trucks and ask me wtf its runs like ****, missfires and etc.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I'm planning on changing my spark plugs soon here and was thinking of doing it myself.

Do you just pull them out and put them back in? Is it as simple as that? Do you just have to know how much to gap them to? And the torque value?

Any help appreciated.
I have a video link in my sig.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by ridge
use anti sieze, just tighten until they are snug, most plugs come pre gaped however if you work around parts as much as i, you will know thats not always true so check the gap on every plug before installation unless your going with a dual tip platinum plug. also dont get the bosch, the ford ign system does not handle the plug well... and another thing is make sure to buy a platinum plug, i dont even want to tell you how many people just buy a standard plug and put it in these trucks and ask me wtf its runs like ****, missfires and etc.
its different, dont be stubborn and not read the TSB, to save yourself a huge headache follow the TSB not what you know about spark plugs... there is only autolite, motorcraft available to the 5.4, they are the EXACT same thing, not similar but exact, just buy the autolites from autozone or pepboys, the tip is NOT gapable, its either right, or defective

i dont know who you know has put a "standard" plug into these trucks, but being how the only plugs that are for the 5.4 are platinums from autolite or MC, whoever you knew must have hand jammed some plug that isnt supposed to go in there, and he can count himself lucky if all he had was some misfires, or your talking about someone with a different engine than ours, cause these plugs are way different and you really cant get any plug but the right one in.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ridge
4.6, maybe, 5.4, no. Can't do that.

Quick Reply: Quick question about changing spark plugs