2004 - 2008 F-150

ABS Light + Reduced Power Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABS Light + Reduced Power Mode

Here is a question @ FTW titled "MPG suddenly dropped badly"

I went from 20-22 highway to about 9-10highway, like overnight. I have an 05 FX4 ex-cab, 5.4, AIRAID, Straights(true duals)
It just like all the sudden my mpg went to crap and i dont get it....?

Also at the same time my truck just starting acting like has no guts, its just real sluggish. I dont know what happened, the only light on is my ABS light but it has been on for awhile and i dont know why its on. But it doesnt have anything to do with my mpg and performance. I wouldnt think

Anyone have any ideas??? I am stumped......................
My response:

Right now you are running in reduced power mode. I know this 100%, I'm going through the same trials and tribulations, I'm going to switch the tune, but first just remove the battery cables for a minute and hope the computer resets itself (prob not). I can clear the 2 DTC codes, one is p0462 and the other is "Throttle Actuator Control - Forced Limited Power Mode". I get these 2 codes at the same time after about 2 minutes of driving everytime, I am typically travelling about 50mph or so when the reduced power mode instills. I'm guessing its the TPS sensor, might have to get this swapped.

I too have the ABS light always on. This started the other day. Have you been fooling with your instrument cluster @ all?

To verify my story, just go to your local Checkers/Kragens and have the codes pulled, you will see. I would purchase a new TPS sensor, I cleaned out my TPS sensor as well as throttle body for a better response in throttle, which is exactly what happened. Only to find out a week later this happened.

---------------------------------------

My question for those here @ F150online. Anyone have any idea on the reason we're experiencing this problem. I can't drive for 5 minutes without it forcing itself into reduced power mode.

Last edited by Josiah; 08-13-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The TPS uses two inputs, TP1 and TP2, to determine where the throttle blade is. When these two readings don't add up, the PCM says something's wrong and goes into fail safe mode by default. The latest PCM calibration available is needed as well with a new TPS.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 PM

I had lubed the throttle blade socket on the TPS end with wd40, after cleaning with electrical cleaner. I physically turned the internal blade socket a few times to each bump stop. Guess thats where I went wrong.

Last edited by Josiah; 08-13-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:50 PM

I'm going to take it in tomorrow afternoon, it's going to cost 125 to have it reflashed (going to call a nearby city for their price). Sounds steep for a computer reflash? Will take 1 1/2 hrs. I'm hoping this also rids the ABS light, wish there was a DTC for the ABS light but for some reason I pull nothing. Maybe the dealer will be able to.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The instruction for my supercharger install said "DO NOT MOVE THROTTLE BODY BLADE"

Might be the problem.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:00 PM
My ABS light has been on too but my truck hasn't lost any power.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Got my truck back, problem fixed. New TPS sensor and reflash are BOTH needed to fix this. Quintin tipped me off on this one. I think if we all gave the folks who solve our problems on here that not many can, they deserve something. Quintin, you have a PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 PM

This is always fun. So I go out to my truck, load up a level 3 tune. The dreaded 'truck wont start' issue is now mine, doesn't even try to crank over it's definitely the PCM deciding somethings wrong.

I've been reading up on edge problems, trying to find a solution other than having it reflashed by the dealer, another $120 I'd like to try and save because it will happen again when I enter another tune. I remember reading stories where all it took was a walkthrough over the phone with Edge customer support. I'm assuming they walked you through some sort of way to put your truck back to stock.

I am guessing this problem is because the Edge was not updated to communicate with the new PCM flash. Now my truck is parked at an awkward angle blocking everyone in the driveway, fun fun. I fix a problem only to have another one come about.

Does anyone know the solution so I can stop digging through archives, I haven't found anything after 15-20 minutes of reading through pages upon pages of useless info.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Try removing the Edge completely, then disconnecting the negative battery cable and touching it to the positive cable. This will forcefully clear the PCM's keep alive memory, basically allowing it to start from scratch.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Or - leave the Edge connected, and place a very large screwdriver across the batt terminals.

This will clear out the Edge, the PCM and the batt. [j/k]

J - what you didn't mention was - did you try to return to stock again?

I looked at those other posts & the consensus is all over the map - some folks had luck with Q's approach - very few had any luck with the 'stock writer' alternative ( prolly due to PATS /VID block issues ). A lot needed to get a reflash, then ensure the Edge was updated to support the changed strategy code.

Good luck.

Bubba

Old 08-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Not sure I can be of any help, but I have some simple ?'s...Was the Edge unit itself set to stock before you had the dealer do the reflash? Honestly not sure if that is possible, but then again you can only program one truck at a time with the Edge so I'm curious if you had the truck programmed on say Level 3 when they reflashed it.

Second, when you reconnected the Edge after the reflash did it recognize your new hex before you tried to program it? Is the new hex code actually 'new/changed' or is it the same code label with updated strategies?

Like I said I'm just throwing something out there, disregard if it doesn't apply.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Quintin, I did that. But just after I decided to call Edge Customer Support. I'm very happy and am still on the phone with them. They got my truck started, here's how:

I called, gave them my hex code. They give me a code to input into the lightning software (seed return code), they then send me the STOCK REFLASH and I reflash my truck while sitting in my driveway, no different than the dealer reflash I paid $110 for, probably not as new however (hope it works with my TPS sensor).

So now my truck runs, now I'm updating the edge evolution like I should have in the beginning. I guess I will deal with the decrease in performance the new edge updates have, the important thing is I can have tunes and my truck will run. I'm currently writing the newest edge calibration into my edge programmer via lightning. I'm sure it will work, the tech support has been fantastic [so far]. Usually have about 10-12 employees accepting calls.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Truck works, perfect. If you need your truck reflashed I recommend you use your $350 edge to do it and not pay 110 everytime you visit the dealer. They also take an hour and a half to do something that takes the edge literally 15-20 seconds. If your truck don't start, Edge gives you a reflash.

Quick Reply: ABS Light + Reduced Power Mode