2004 - 2008 F-150

wire chaffing

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wire chaffing

recently there was a problem posted regarding a fuse blowing and it was atributed to a coil pack. the guy traced it back to a wire chaffed thru on a bonding jumper. after reading this i went out and looked at mine. gotta consider myself lucky cause the most aft coil pack on the driver's side had the edge of this bonding wire up against it. it would only have been a matter of time.

reason i post this is if it got him and i found it on my 05 (he had an 04) then its bound to get some others. check it out, before you are walking home.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by projetmech
recently there was a problem posted regarding a fuse blowing and it was atributed to a coil pack. the guy traced it back to a wire chaffed thru on a bonding jumper. after reading this i went out and looked at mine. gotta consider myself lucky cause the most aft coil pack on the driver's side had the edge of this bonding wire up against it. it would only have been a matter of time.

reason i post this is if it got him and i found it on my 05 (he had an 04) then its bound to get some others. check it out, before you are walking home.

No joke!
The problem I had was on the passanger side cylinder #4 coil.
The ground wire was bound WAY too tight on the COP wires.

Here is a pic of the damage.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:08 PM
thought i would bump this up for any one that might have missed it. like i said i had it on mine and looked at 2 friends f150's both 05's and they had the same thing going on. do what you want but if you dont look at yours youre makin a mistake.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't believe you guys traced the problem, quite a minuit detail!

Old 08-04-2007, 05:35 PM
i cant take credit for finding it. it was the poor guy that posted the original problem with a fuse blowing. after hitting his head against the wall struggling thru the fix he found the wire chaff. all i did was go look at mine and 2 other trucks and found the same. thought i would save some other guys the trouble he went thru. while i was under the hood i gave it a good lookover just to see it there was any other similar snags. i usually like to look things over to stay ahead of it but end up getting busy and put it off.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm glad I clicked this link. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Now here's an issue that we need to know about. Everyone is so focused on the spark plugs and here's a real problem in the making. Good info, good find, thanks to all involved for sharing.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the info!

I can see the bonding strap on my passenger side, and it is fine, with plenty of slack and nowhere near the coilpack wires. Where is the bonding strap on the driver's side? I don't see it on my truck or in the picture above.

(My truck is an '04 Norfolk-built truck, by the way)

Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 AM
where ?

it's a good pic and printed it out ,, but still couldn't find out where exactly they are talking about,, checked all my wires under hood and couldn't find any that were over tight ,, looks like back by the firewall right ? thanks

Old 08-05-2007, 11:03 AM
There is only one ground strap on the passenger side.
Look up by the PCM, it runs down behind the engine.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Now here's an issue that we need to know about. Everyone is so focused on the spark plugs and here's a real problem in the making. Good info, good find, thanks to all involved for sharing.
No Problem

Original Thread Here

Old 08-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I just checked my truck out and noticed that the ground strap didn't run anywhere near the #4 coil lead but it did run right over and against the lead for the #4 injector. The ground on mine had plenty of slack, no danger of rubbing through, on some though it could be bound tighter and possibly ground out that injector. Those of you that are checking for the above mentioned issue make sure to get right in there and check the injector lead as well.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Is it a ground "strap" that I look for - a flat bare strap - and not a covered wire. I have a 1/8" daim. (approx) wire covered in that ribbed plastic covering that is close and to the wire(s) to the one closest to the firewall on the drivers side. Is that the suspect wire? On any others do I just gently bend all nearby wires so they don't touch each other or do you nave to tie them down?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by bogman
Is it a ground "strap" that I look for - a flat bare strap - and not a covered wire. I have a 1/8" daim. (approx) wire covered in that ribbed plastic covering that is close and to the wire(s) to the one closest to the firewall on the drivers side. Is that the suspect wire? On any others do I just gently bend all nearby wires so they don't touch each other or do you nave to tie them down?
Yes, it's a flat bare strap on the passenger side. It's connected to the fire wall just beside the PCM and runs back towards the rear of the engine. You can try using a zip tie to hold it out of the way but you may have to disconnect it and re-route the ground to get enough slack in it.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Just checked mine, it has plenty of slack in it. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Quick Reply: wire chaffing