F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   What are the best WIPERS? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/294716-what-best-wipers.html)

TNoff 07-25-2007 05:20 PM

What are the best WIPERS?

I hope this is the right forum to post. I still run factory wipers since I have a cracked windshield. I plan on replacing the windshield and then the wipers very soon. Whenever a lot of water splashes on the windshield the wipers take forever to clear it away and I can't see anything for a good 10 seconds. Now is that a normal problem driving in heavy rain with all the splashing? And will getting better/bigger blades resolve the issue and allow me to see clearly with just a couple swipes?

sirshan 07-25-2007 07:56 PM

Silblade...had mine for 3 years straight...maybe 2...still wipe like new. I purchased them a bit longer too. I went with 22" Blades I think...no problems and much more coverage.

boomer08 07-25-2007 08:20 PM

I had the bosch Icons on my tacoma and I loved them

Budha05STX 07-25-2007 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by boomer08
I had the bosch Icons on my tacoma and I loved them

I have these....work pretty good too. I also use the Rain X that you add to the windshield fluid reservoir.

ian51279 07-25-2007 09:24 PM

I picked up some Michelin blades at Walmart back at the first of the year and they are still wiping great. I also use the bug remover washer fluid with rain-x. Water rolls right off.

Matt 05'FX4 07-25-2007 10:10 PM

I have a set of Valeo blades (http://www.ultimatewiperblade.com) and they are the best thing I have ever had on the truck. I also got 22" instead of 20" like the factory ones, and if you haven't re-indexed the drivers side wiper, then that is a must too. I think the newer ones may have this done already, but I know on mine and the early ones, the driver's side blade didn't go up far enough to the left side of the window and went down too far when it parked, so you took the blade off, and popped off the little key that is in there and put it back on one spline up.

Power Kid 07-25-2007 10:35 PM

Bought the new bosch icon ? last fall. Love it except twoof teh 4 end caps fell off when wiper slammed down after cleaning wshield. So looks retarted now....

XLTeaser 07-25-2007 10:55 PM

Any of the one piece rubber coated spring steel wipers which include: Bosch Icons, Michelins, Anco Contours, Valeo and other like wipers. I have the Contours on my 150 but had the original Bosch's on my VW. These wipers seem to all perform better than the exposed frame stye, regardless of manufacturer. The frame acts like as a spoiler and the spring steel holds the wiper in constant contact with the windshield.
:thumbsup:

Rockpick 07-25-2007 11:02 PM

Another vote for Silblades...

They're on both my wife's Explorer and my 2005... the ones on my 2005 came off of my 2001. In a nutshell, these things are probably right at 4, maybe 5, years old.... and just as good as day one.

allstar8806 07-25-2007 11:16 PM

lots and lots of rain-x i hate the marks the wipers leave on my windshield so i only use my wipers if i really have to. i kno it sounds dumb and not safe but i hate looking at cars and seein the wiper marks

rms8 07-25-2007 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by RockPick
Another vote for Silblades
...these things are probably right at 4, maybe 5, years old.... and just as good as day one.

You've had the same pair of wiper blades for nearly 5 years?????? And they're still that good?

Can't imagine a better recommendation!

Rockpick 07-25-2007 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by rms8
You've had the same pair of wiper blades for nearly 5 years?????? And they're still that good?

Can't imagine a better recommendation!

That's correct. Just pulled the invoice from TTstuff.com (where I ordered them). The date is June 17, 2003.

Mind you, they have a 5 year warranty... so, I'm still inside that.

MGDfan 07-25-2007 11:39 PM

That's correct. Just pulled the invoice from TTstuff.com (where I ordered them). The date is June 17, 2003.

Mind you, they have a 5 year warranty... so, I'm still inside that.

What is left unsaid here, RMS, is that RP clays his windshield and details the blades weekly.

Might have somethin' to do with it. :D

With all the industrial fallout crap I have to deal with, I go through a set of Michelins ( thank-you Costco!) at least once a year, so spendin' the dough on SillyBlades would be pointless.

Cheers
Bubba

psk256 07-26-2007 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Matt 05'FX4
and if you haven't re-indexed the drivers side wiper, then that is a must too.

What does re-index mean?

nuclearthreat54 07-26-2007 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by psk256
What does re-index mean?

He explains later down in his post. Keep reading after that.

Rockpick 07-26-2007 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
What is left unsaid here, RMS, is that RP clays his windshield and details the blades weekly.

With all the industrial fallout crap I have to deal with, I go through a set of Michelins ( thank-you Costco!) at least once a year, so spendin' the dough on SillyBlades would be pointless.

Cheers
Bubba

:lol:

Incorrect. In fact, I don't think I've clayed my windshield in the past year -- or more, maybe.

Oh yeah... I do *a lot* of work within industry. In fact, I'm sitting in my office at a 'major Fortune 500 home appliance manufacturer' right now. :)

Gotz' anything else there beer boy? :)

-RP-

mkosu04 07-26-2007 09:57 AM

I've had the Bosch Icon wiper blades for about a year now and they are great. I had one of those ends pop off but it snapped back on... and now I'm just careful not to let them slam back down after washing the windshield.

I also use the RainEx brand washer fluid (its orange, about the same price as any other good fluid). Its great - after using it for awhile it will give you the rainex affect without having to apply the rainex manually. I've also had problems before where the windshield will be somewhat streaky after apply the rainex manually - this is NOT an issue with the rainex washer fluid. I've been using this fluid for at least a year now and just yesterday I was driving in the rain with the water rolling right off the windshield. This way you can run your wipers slower and still see fine.

scorpio333 07-26-2007 12:46 PM

Allow me to stick my neck out...I'm not impressed with my Silblades. In fact when they towed my car away I left the dang things on there. My truck sits outside so it gets a bit of fallout. Get in and squirt the squirters and the tiny pieces of dirt seem to embed themselves and streaks away. So that may be my fault for not cleaning them, but c'mon these things are magic right? :rolleyes: I've also noticed some rust appearing where they mount on the arm. No biggie I'll be giving them a call for a new set and if that pair sucks, I'll take a look at others.

ELVATO 07-26-2007 01:20 PM

I don't really use my wipers. I just let RainX do the work. I think I can see better with the wipers off, and the water just beading off.

But I have Michelin wipers, the "frame" type. I've had them for about a year (maybe more.) It's about time I replace them since the driver side rubber strip is starting to fall off.

TNoff 07-26-2007 03:58 PM

Thanks for the input fellas. I finally got my windshield installed today. It was 145 bucks installed at my work. I'm going to the auto store to see what they have hopefully something yall described.

Big Slick 07-26-2007 04:31 PM

how bout some pics?

XLTeaser 07-26-2007 05:11 PM

Check with Tirerack.com. They have a sale going on for Valeo wipers. Buy one, get one free.

dkstone05 07-26-2007 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by scorpio333
Allow me to stick my neck out...I'm not impressed with my Silblades. In fact when they towed my car away I left the dang things on there. My truck sits outside so it gets a bit of fallout. Get in and squirt the squirters and the tiny pieces of dirt seem to embed themselves and streaks away. So that may be my fault for not cleaning them, but c'mon these things are magic right? :rolleyes: I've also noticed some rust appearing where they mount on the arm. No biggie I'll be giving them a call for a new set and if that pair sucks, I'll take a look at others.

Yeah, so far I have a set of silblades on since about February and they leave behind tiny tiny beads of water behind(almost like streaks). Did this since new out of the box. During the day it's not that noticeable but at night it pretty well sucks. But besides that they seem to be a great blade. I might see if I can get them replaced though.

I have how ever bought the Valeo from Tire Rack for my fiancées' Honda back in March or so. These seem to be awesome blades. Absolutely no streaks and no chatter. Seems that Tire Rack always has some type of sale by one get one free.

TNoff 07-26-2007 06:56 PM

Any place that carries Silblade besides their website?

Matt 05'FX4 07-26-2007 09:10 PM

I had silblades and still have the set sitting in my garage that I took off. The blade would STICK to the windshield and the blades would chatter and squeak unless the window was completely soaked. The Valeos have been awesome since day 1

RobNY 07-27-2007 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by TNoff
Any place that carries Silblade besides their website?

JC Whitney....Get the 22" for both sides and they double the warrenty length to 10 years

TNoff 07-27-2007 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RobNY
JC Whitney....Get the 22" for both sides and they double the warrenty length to 10 years

thanks for the reference. That's a great warranty.

I bought some Bosch Icons at Advanced Auto last night. I first bought the 20" but after installing them in the parking lot they looked too small and went with the 22". They fit great. Got to try them out in light rain today. It was smooth from tip to tip. I spent about 45 bucks. Never thought I would ever spend that kind of money on a wiper but you gotta be able to see. I hope this will help the main issue of splashing because the water gets really deep/thick on the windshield and takes quite a long time to wipe away.

Matt 05'FX4 07-27-2007 05:22 PM

$45?? WHY? Hahah, tirerack had em for $19.99 for both......

TNoff 07-27-2007 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Matt 05'FX4
$45?? WHY? Hahah, tirerack had em for $19.99 for both......

D'oh!!! I guess I could've saved myself a few bucks, probably 10-15 bucks after shipping. If I was going to order online I probably would've gone with the Silblades. I just wanted to get it over with that way I didn't have to worry about it and move on to my next deal. I hate to have lingering projects/chores to do.

RobNY 07-27-2007 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by TNoff
D'oh!!! I guess I could've saved myself a few bucks, probably 10-15 bucks after shipping. If I was going to order online I probably would've gone with the Silblades. I just wanted to get it over with that way I didn't have to worry about it and move on to my next deal. I hate to have lingering projects/chores to do.

Buy them from tirerack for$19 and return them to Advanced with your reciept:rolleyes:

jbziggy 09-17-2007 11:45 AM

I was getting ready to order a pair of the Valeos from Tirerack.com, but they only have them in the 20" length. From the sounds of the previous posts, it seems like the 20" might be too short and that the 22" work much better.

Is it worth trying to find the 22" somewhere else. The 20" are still on sale at tirerack (buy one get one free).

welfare wagon 09-17-2007 12:08 PM

The Valeos have been awesome since day 1
X2 on the Valeos, I have had mine for over a year and are just now showing signs of aging.
Ordered a set for the wife's new van last month and they to work like a charm.

MGDfan 09-17-2007 12:31 PM

:lol:

Incorrect. In fact, I don't think I've clayed my windshield in the past year -- or more, maybe.

Oh yeah... I do *a lot* of work within industry. In fact, I'm sitting in my office at a 'major Fortune 500 home appliance manufacturer' right now.

Gotz' anything else there beer boy? :)

-RP-

Nah, Boss, I'm wiped ...:D

( Yeah, it took me this long to think of a suitably goofy response. What can I say - it was a great summmer!)

:beers: bubba

Jolly_Green_Giant 09-17-2007 01:01 PM

Never tried the Silblades. May have to come spring. I always change mine in the Spring unless they need to be changed before that.

I've tried the Rain-x blades twice and neither set lasted very long. I've had several sets of the Michelin ones from Wal-Mart and they've all lasted till replacement time. I've really enjoyed them. Not to mention they're local, in stock, and cheap. :thumbsup:

last5oh_302 09-17-2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan

Cheers
Bubba

Try the cheapo metal ones with the wind flap thingy from Crappy Tire :thumbsup:

I've tried'em all, from expensive (which were the worst!!) to el cheapo's, and these are the best I've ever used.

Buddy who used to use the Michelins is now using these as well.

MGDfan 09-17-2007 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by last5oh_302
Try the cheapo metal ones with the wind flap thingy from Crappy Tire :thumbsup:

I've tried'em all, from expensive (which were the worst!!) to el cheapo's, and these are the best I've ever used.

Buddy who used to use the Michelins is now using these as well.

True dat.

Generally speaking, in this particular space-time continuum, anything with a thingy is going to be superior.

Don't tell anyone - or they won't be cheap for long :eek:

:beers: bubba

Ronix 09-17-2007 01:57 PM

I didn't read all of the pages but if no one has said it PIAA Silicone wipers are the best hands down. You wipe the window down with a silicone wipe which acts like rain x but doesn't fade for a long time. I did the wipers on my car atleast 6 month's ago and I can still drive down the freeway without my wipers on. I just intalled them on the truck and forgot how much better they are.

kingfish51 09-17-2007 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jbziggy
I was getting ready to order a pair of the Valeos from Tirerack.com, but they only have them in the 20" length. From the sounds of the previous posts, it seems like the 20" might be too short and that the 22" work much better.

Is it worth trying to find the 22" somewhere else. The 20" are still on sale at tirerack (buy one get one free).

20" is the OE size, so that would not be a problem. As far as going larger,I would not go any larger than 22". Larger might fit, but are you puttinng to much stress on the motor and mechanism with the extra drag?

KSN177 09-18-2007 06:49 AM

Unlike a lot of people here I would stay away from Silblades. Out of all the minor mods on my truck they were the biggest waste of money. The cheap Car and Driver ones I bought at Target for my Suburban work better.

jbziggy 09-18-2007 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by kingfish51
20" is the OE size, so that would not be a problem. As far as going larger,I would not go any larger than 22". Larger might fit, but are you puttinng to much stress on the motor and mechanism with the extra drag?

Good point. I went ahead and order the 20". I guess we'll see how they work out.