2004 - 2008 F-150

Lotsa Questions---Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lotsa Questions---Please HELP!

Wow---I haven't been here since 1-11-2002!!!

Quick questions, however:

My father just purchased a black '07 FX2 Sport that he's modifying. I've been tasked with looking for a cat-back exhaust and some 20" wheels.

Will he mess up the TPMS if he changes his wheels from the stock 18's to 20's?

Discount has some that I like, (he's gonna see them soon) and I wanted to get some feedback from those in "the know"----all of you guys 'n gals. I know next to nothing about trucks.

The wheels I like from Discount Direct are called the Liquid Metal Wingman.

http://www.discounttire.com/product/...win.bmm.xl.jpg

They're cheap but small at 8.5" wide. Being that his truck is a 2wd, what's the maximum width that he can fit without any rubbing? Same question with tires. He's not going to do anything with the lift, so it's gotta fit stock.

Does anyone here have pix with the Wingman on a black truck?

I'm looking for any other comments that can help. IE: Should I look for other wheels? Has anyone had any bad experiences with the Wingman wheel?

On to the exhaust...

What do you recommend? I've got experience with Magnaflow, (on my built '99 Mustang GT now) and Borla, (on my '05 GT). Are there any REALLY good deals out there concerning the ammount of power he'll get vs. price? I know he doesn't want anything that'll get him pulled over, (he's 60 years old) but sound is important to him.

Lastly, he's in San Antonio so if there are any wonderful deals that you might know of locally, please feel free to point them out.

Thanx in advance for your advice and for reading this loooong post!!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Im not going to be much help here, but I though I would try to say a little somthing since no one has so far.

From what I have read and seen on here, once you change the factoy wheels you wont have the tire pressure monitor at all, so if by mess it up you mean totaly get rid of it, then yes The TPMS light will be on on the dash too. I read someone with an 07 said theirs finally went off, they didnt know if the light just died or if the truck finally went long enough without the sensors that it shut itself off. So, you will have no pressure monitor, and the light on the dash will be on and may or may not go off.

For exhaust...Magnaflow definatley. A full system is 'around' the 400 dollar range, depending on what you get and where you can get it. I doubt any of the premade systems shouldnt give him any problems with the cops. I have a custom setup with the si/do 14 inch Maggy muffler and it is definatley not loud...nothing a cop should be worried about unless they are on a power high and having a bad bad day.

Thats about all I can help you with :o

Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
as far as the exhaust goes... i have a magnaflow on my truck si/so catback...it sounds pretty good but my friend got an MBRP catback for his truck and i like the sound better than magnaflow. its the same design as magnaflow, but deeper and less drone.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
My friend just bought his 07 FX2 and got American Thunder Super 40s and a Volant intake.........sounds MEAN!

Now for the 18 to 20" rim swap. This will be possible without messing up the TPMS if you stay within the rotational specs of the sensor. I'd find out from the guys who have Harley edition F150s (20s stock) to see if they know if their TPMS is the same as those with 18s (it should be). I am not 100% sure on the tire specs of the FX2 but let's take my specs on my tC for example:

Stock tire: 215/45/17
Stock Rim: 17x7

New tire: 225/45/17 (10 mm wider and 4mm taller)
New rim: 17x7 (same dimensions)

To compensate for the larger diameter, I should have purchased 225/40/17. My speedo is off by 1-2 mph (nothing huge or noticeable) but it's off.

Now, lets say you come stock with 235/75/18. To keep it within the similar specs as stock, the new tire on the 20 should be something like 235/65/20. Now, if you go with a wider tread tire (245, 255...), then you have to play around a bit. I'd think that with a 245 (the aspect ratio is now going to be more b/c it's a percentage of the total tire width), using the same idea as i mentioned for the stock width tire, you'd want to go with a 245/60/20.

Let's see what the other guy's have done b/c I'm just shotting numbers out that may not be EXACTLY what you need....but, the concept is there.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 PM
go for the magnaflow 16612 si/so. I just got it on last week. Sounds very nice, not too loud

Old 07-20-2007, 06:51 PM
I like that wheel for a 4x2 truck!
The TPMS will have to be xfer'd to the new wheels if you want the TPMS to work correctly. The sensor it's self can be moved to new rims. It's the band that holds it on that needs to be replaced. They sell after market bands for 50 - 60 bucks per band. they may be cheaper now?
This is what I did to keep my TPMS working properly.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283621

As for exhaust he won't really notice any power gains with just exhaust, throw an intake in the mix and thats a different story.
I have the Roush "legal" SIDO and I love it. I got it as a package deal from Troyer.
Good luck!

Last edited by Shane1; 07-20-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:37 PM
If you're gonna look at the Magnaflow or MBRP you might as well check out the Banks Monster Exhaust. There are a couple guys around here that have some sound clips of it. Do a search and you'll find them. I've got the Banks and it's awesome! If you check my gallery you can see some pictures of it on my truck.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanx for all of the advice, everyone!!

I've passed along this info and he's deciding what he wants.

It looks like the Wingman's NOT gonna make it---he's got his eyes on some Torque Thrusts. I just have to find some for him...

Quick Reply: Lotsa Questions---Please HELP!