F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Spark plug change @ 90K+ Miles please help (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/293615-spark-plug-change-90k-miles-please-help.html)

artgarcia 07-17-2007 12:02 AM

Spark plug change @ 90K+ Miles please help

Hi!

I need all the advice you F150 can bring me. I have a 5.4 3v with 90K+ and i plan to do the spark plugs change.

In order to maximise the posibilities to make the change sucesfully I plan to follow these steps:

1. Run a 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat injecteing slowly SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line of brake booster.

2. Loose 1/4 tourn each spark plug and apply Aerokroil (how much aerokroil can apply without hydro-look risk?)

3. After sit one hour adjust again the plugs & coils and start the engine. (If I start the engine, the aerokroil is going to burn isn't?)

4. Repeat step 2 but loosing a little more if not too tight.

5. Sit overnight and repeat step 3.

6. Slowly turn the spark plug out. Some screeching and high effort may be noticed but, not in every case. The expected removal torque is about 33 lb-ft (45 N-m) but should decrease on the way out. If it is higher, try turning the spark plug back in a half turn, then back out again. If the turning torque still seems high, repeat the back and forth rotation along with some penetrating oil to reduce turning effort.

7. If I feel it's to tight (reach the 45 N-m) repeat steps 3 & 4.

Is this a good idea? are ther some fellows with more than 90K+ miles changing the spark plugs sucesfully? How they do it? :help:

risupercrewman 07-17-2007 06:03 AM

Please keep us posted on how this job goes, I'm very interested! Sounds like you have a good plan of attack!.............:smoke:

Josiah 07-17-2007 08:16 AM

Sure does, I'm very interested as well. Obviously you intend to use a torque wrench, let us know if 45nm is enough in any case to break the heads.

Eastrick 07-17-2007 01:51 PM

Just my opinion since I haven't touched the plugs in my truck yet (only 21k), but 33 ft lbs doesn't sound like enough to unseat a plug that has been in there for 90k miles. Maybe a good guideline not to exceed once you've cracked them loose though.

sysman_rick 07-17-2007 03:53 PM

Read & heed the Ford tsb on plug removal!

ohboy44 07-17-2007 08:10 PM

Here's my directions.
1. let the engine run until it's hot.
2. working as fast as possible get the coils off and only break the plugs loose 1/8 of a turn.
3. spray the Kroil until it's to the top of the nut on the spark plugs.
4. let it sit over night if possible.
5. work the plugs back and forth like trying to get a rusty bolt out.
6. PRAY.

Tbird69 07-17-2007 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ohboy44
Here's my directions.
2. working as fast as possible get the coils off and only break the plugs loose 1/8 of a turn.
6. PRAY.

Good plan of attack except for one thing, you don't want the engine hot when you go to pull the plugs. The risk of burning yourself is the main reason, not to mention that it's just not comfortable to work on a hot engine. Too much heat will just cause whatever you spray in there to evaporate and have no effect.

You want the engine warm, let it sit 1-2 hours after driving, this way those aluminum heads aren't tight on the plugs and the spray will do some good.:thumbsup:

Stealth 07-17-2007 11:19 PM

Plus the kroil will more likely burn away on a hot engine.

ohboy44 07-18-2007 08:55 PM

Tell me how many of these spark plugs you both have taken out?
My self, I lost count.
And if it's too hot wear gloves.

Tbird69 07-18-2007 09:53 PM

Tell me how many of these spark plugs you both have taken out?
My self, I lost count.
And if it's too hot wear gloves.

Relax, don't take it so personally. I'm just giving some advice to people that haven't done this before, so they can avoid any potential problems--such as personal injury.:coffee:

SVT Pilot 07-19-2007 12:56 AM

I'm all for DIY whenever possible but in this case wouldn't it be better just to take it to the dealer? That way it would be on them if any plug(s) snapped. :smoke:

Tbird69 07-19-2007 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by SVT Pilot
I'm all for DIY whenever possible but in this case wouldn't it be better just to take it to the dealer? That way it would be on them if any plug(s) snapped. :smoke:

When this issue first came up this argument would have worked, it's such a well known issue now that you'd be hard pressed to find a dealer that's willing to eat the cost.:coffee:

ohboy44 07-19-2007 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tbird69
Relax, don't take it so personally. I'm just giving some advice to people that haven't done this before, so they can avoid any potential problems--such as personal injury.:coffee:

I don't take it personal, but the internet is full of advise given by complete strangers.
All I was asking is how many of these trucks have you done?
Of course I could be lying about my experience too, but I'm not.:wave:

RUSS04 07-19-2007 08:20 PM

Here's my directions.
6. PRAY.

:lurk:

dbhost 07-19-2007 09:32 PM

The plug breakage issue appears to be primarily caused by insufficient gap between the snout of the plugs, and the walls of the head. The Seafoam is IMPORTANT. I figure on changing mine at around the 80K mark, or the last month I have the extended warranty, which will more likely be the case, About 5K before then, I am going to start running fuel system cleaner (Seafoam or the like) through the engine every two tanks full... That should do the trick I would think!