2004 - 2008 F-150

TPMS light came off on it's own!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS light came off on it's own!

Hey guys, I've had that damm tire pressure light on ever since I changed my wheels. Today I jump in my truck & the light is gone! Either the bulp blew or the system gave up on me. I really dont care, that light was really getting to me! Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Maybe it just gave up the fight

I dont have the TPMS system, but i wish i did though.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey buddy, man the TPMS system is for those who never check their air pressure. I'm constantly on top of my tires air pressure. Plus it supposedly it goes off when the pressure hits 20 psi. Man once your tire hits less than 28 PSI you can already tell just by looking at the tire. I really did not care for it. So I hope the light stays off for good!
Hey I saw you the other day, the Monday you were off. You were in Miami Lakes way around 1:30 or so. You made a left some where in there, I was in my LiL Ford Focus, but you turned before I could speed up to say hello.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Speaking of air pressure i used to check mine every single time i washed my truck, but since the restrictions i dont do it as much as i used to. I heard they are going to start relaxing a bit on the water restrictions soon.

Yeah i was down there cause my gf is a realtor in a family owned real estate company which is located pretty close to Ludlam rd 67th. Im going to send you a PM with my number so the next time we can get some beers.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey you know you may have the TPMS I think it's on all 07's. Click your key fwd right before you start your truck & see if you have that liltle light in the dash.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't happen to have the old wheels/tires stored near where you park? The light is supposed to take a while before it comes on, and if you are within range when you park, it may never come on.
I am going to be dealing with that in a few months when I put my winter tires on. Am thinking of making something that will hold about 30psi, take the sensors, put them in it, pressure it up and shove it under the center seat.
Anyone have a programmer and checked that when you go thru the options, it has one to turn off the TPMS like you can with the speed limiter?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Actually no. The wheels were sold about 2 weeks ago. So I was no where near them. I really hope the bulp blew. Even though those seem to be LED lights, so they probably last 50,000 yrs!!

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 AM
I checked yesterday and i dont have the TPMS light

Old 07-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Hmm that's really strange. I thought all 07's had that system.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 AM
What's the light supposed to look like? I was looking for something like TPMS.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Looks like a low tire with an exclamation point in it! (!)

Old 07-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Shane1
Looks like a low tire with an exclamation point in it! (!)
Thanks shane !

O.k then i do have it

Old 07-13-2007, 11:06 AM
TPMS is not triggered when "a tire reaches 20psi." Whoever gave you that information was wrong. Also, it is not designed for people who "don't check their air pressure." It's a federally mandated (on all '07+ trucks/suvs) safety feature designed to help reduce the number of casualties when these "high-profile" vehicles are involved in collisions. It detects when a tire is under-inflated, compared to the other three and alerts you with a light on your dash.

The way it works, at least on Fords, is a sensor near the valve stem that detects the PSI of the tire. To reset the system, you fill the tire (whichever one is low) to its appropriate pressure and drive 20mph+ for 2 miles. By the way, it detects within a window. Say, normal pressure is 36psi. If a tire is anywhere from 32-39 it will not trigger the sensor. Once it goes below the 32 mark, it is "severely" underinflated.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 02SuperCrew4X
TPMS is not triggered when "a tire reaches 20psi." Whoever gave you that information was wrong. Also, it is not designed for people who "don't check their air pressure." It's a federally mandated (on all '07+ trucks/suvs) safety feature designed to help reduce the number of casualties when these "high-profile" vehicles are involved in collisions. It detects when a tire is under-inflated, compared to the other three and alerts you with a light on your dash.

The way it works, at least on Fords, is a sensor near the valve stem that detects the PSI of the tire. To reset the system, you fill the tire (whichever one is low) to its appropriate pressure and drive 20mph+ for 2 miles. By the way, it detects within a window. Say, normal pressure is 36psi. If a tire is anywhere from 32-39 it will not trigger the sensor. Once it goes below the 32 mark, it is "severely" underinflated.
That may be the old way, but the new set up is the sensor is held onto the wheel by a metal strap. It is positioned 180deg from the valve stem. The 20 psi is mandated by the feds.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...ule.html?name=

Look about a quarter of the way down.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:23 PM
02SuperCrew4X, Kingfish51 correct., The old system did have a detectors on the valve. The new ones have it strapped to the wheel & it indeed goes off below 20 PSI. Our Expedtion has the system & we had a slow leak on one of the tires once & once it would get below 20 PSI it would go off. I've asked Ford about it & that's the way it works as per them.
Also what I was saying is that if check your tire pressure often as you should, you will not need the TPMS. It will never go off unless your about to go flat & by that time you can tell by the way the truck hanldes or simply by looking at the tire.

Quick Reply: TPMS light came off on it's own!