2004 - 2008 F-150

Broken window regulator again

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Broken window regulator again

I walked out to get my laptop out of my truck and one of the rear windows was not there(they were all rolled up before). I got up close to investigate and window had fallen into the door. This makes my 3rd regulator. A broken regulator in all my doors except one. Does anyone know if there is a recall or TSB for this issue? I know I am not the only one this is happening to.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:54 AM
I feel your pain.

Both of the regulators on my front windows have failed. Driver's side about this time last year and passenger's side earlier this year. Both failed when I went to lower the windows and were stuck in the down position. I haven't heard of the window sliding down on its own.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:25 PM
When my regulators broke My front driver side slid down, my rear driver side shattered the window and my rear passenger side slid down. How can I break my passenger side regulator before I take it in so i can kill 2 birds with 1 stone

Old 07-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Ditto. I just replaced the regulator in my driver's side door on Friday. Luckily, this is monsoon season in Houston so I was the cool guy on the freeway with a garbage bag duct taped to my '04 SuperCrew. I'd never heard of this problem until it happened to me - sounds like a common issue.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:12 PM
My driver side regulator died in January of this year (a little over 2 years after buying it new). It was still under the 3/36 warranty, thank god.

So far the window regulator and the chrome cap on my floor shifter are the only real problems I've had, KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!! Though the paint on the plastic piece above the front bumper has a place where it is starting to peel.

I had 2 Rangers before buying my '04 F150 and never had power window problems, so there must be a design problem.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I think its the heat. I have had all four of mine fail and the drivers twice

By the why I live in Phoenix too and its been damn hot over the last week.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I guess I need to move to Alaska. Are the replacement regs any better. If not Do we need to get something together to let Ford know this is an issue we want resolved.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:09 PM
My driver's side wdw "fell" down today and my passenger door wdw did the same thing about 3 weeks ago!

I have 2 more windows to go in my SCREW!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Just curious, what's the build dates on all these '04's? When I put my new speakers in I checked out my regulators and they use a thin steel cable to operate the windows. The ones that have been failing I believe are plastic. I'm thinking design change part way or early in the run? Unless I was looking at the wrong thing but it was the only cable I could find. My build is 11/03 BTW.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 PM
My front driver's side regulator went out a couple months ago. It's already about to go out again. My back driver's side window switch quit working too. I can't wait to get rid of this truck.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
How does one know if the regulator is going out? The dealership told me that the reason my window is squeeking so loud is due to the regulator. How much is a regulator to replace?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Just curious, what's the build dates on all these '04's? When I put my new speakers in I checked out my regulators and they use a thin steel cable to operate the windows. The ones that have been failing I believe are plastic. I'm thinking design change part way or early in the run? Unless I was looking at the wrong thing but it was the only cable I could find. My build is 11/03 BTW.
Build date 10/03 The OEM regulators that I pulled out of my front doors were both steel cable. This is not the part that is failing. These cables work with a pulley system and the cables are housed in plastic tubing. The failure point (on both of mine) is where the plastic tubing connects to the pulleys there are little plastic tabs. These tabs break and the cables are no longer aligned correctly and get twisted/kinked/bind.

Originally Posted by BestNTx
How does one know if the regulator is going out? The dealership told me that the reason my window is squeeking so loud is due to the regulator. How much is a regulator to replace?
Mine completely failed without prior notice. The first one failed when I closed the driver's door after getting in the truck. I thought that I accidentally hit the window down express switch. Not the case. The window would not go back up, even though I could hear the regulator motor working. My passenger side failed when I went to roll it down and realized that it was just free falling. It wouldn't roll back up. In neither case was there any squeaking, rattling, scratching, or any other type of precursor of the impending failure.

I bought both of mine online from www.fordparts.com and they were 79.00 +9.95 shipping. Locally, service departments wanted 126.00+tax and I would still have to wait 4 days because they didn't have the part on hand.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Sign me up to the piece of crap Ford truck list. I will add a driver's window regulator to my lengthy list of repairs.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
is there any pre indicators to this known problem? Because currently my driver's side window, from time to time, just does not response (going up only). When I push the swith to up, nothing happens, no noise...not a thing then let go of the switch then press up, bingo goes up as if nothing was wrong with it. Would anyone consider this to be the case of regulator issue?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Y2KWHT150
is there any pre indicators to this known problem? Because currently my driver's side window, from time to time, just does not response (going up only). When I push the swith to up, nothing happens, no noise...not a thing then let go of the switch then press up, bingo goes up as if nothing was wrong with it. Would anyone consider this to be the case of regulator issue?
that could be the switch, pull it apart and clean the parts where the touch with some electrical contact cleaner, try searching for a how to about it

Quick Reply: Broken window regulator again