2004 - 2008 F-150

Changing out my Front Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing out my Front Shocks

Just want to replace my Front Shocks with new one's. Anyone give me an idea how to dis-assemble the front.

What size is that bolt/nut where the shock bolts up to the lower a arm?

This is my theory..... Jack up the truck, take off the wheel, Unbolt lower shock from the lower a-arm, Un Bolt the 3 bolts connecting the top of the Coil-Over.

Where/What do I unbolt next, to be able to pull the entire assembly out????

Once the CoilOver is removed then I use spring compressor to compress the spring..... Take off the center nut, and dis-assemble the coil, slide out the old shock, insert the new one.... put back together. Am I going in the right direction??

Any help would be AWESOME!

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lower bolt is a 30 mm... your on the right track. It helped taking the sway bar mount loose on the lower control arm.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 PM
I am sure I have seen a post on the removal of the coil over in here somewhere. Try searching for posts on installing leveling kits. It should help you find the removal procedures. Or you can find an electrician and he will figure it out.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by azfordby4
I am sure I have seen a post on the removal of the coil over in here somewhere. Try searching for posts on installing leveling kits. It should help you find the removal procedures. Or you can find an electrician and he will figure it out.

Found one with pic's and all... Never crossed my mind that the guys with the leveling kit's would have to remove the coilovers also! Well, doesnt appear to be as hard as I thought it might be!

Thanks Fella's!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
bring a hammer a big hammer some crap gets stuck together over time and needs a solid wack to break free.

Use jack stands and and a jack to lift the strain off the front suspension when your doing this. With the suspension fully extended it's under stress just as it is sitting flat on the ground. So you'll want to find the happy medium when you start yanking stuff apart.

Quick Reply: Changing out my Front Shocks