2004 - 2008 F-150

Adding factory driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding factory driving lights

Right now I have the chrome bumper without factory driving lights And I am looking at getting tthe one with the "square shaped" Driving lights and I was wondering what the best way to wire them would be. will I need to Wire them in on a seperate switch or would I be able to get the factory headlight **** with the fog capabilty and wire that in.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I put an 06 bumper with fogs on my 05.If you are very lucky the wire for the fogs will be in place from the factory.Some guys found the factory fog harness was in place so they just need the lights and the switch I was not so lucky.I ran mine 100% and did it with an aftermarket switch installed next to to the cig lighter.Its not hard either way it took me 2 hours or so.You will have to look under the front of the truck to see if the factory installed the fog harness.If you do a search you should be able to find info as to what and where to look for the stock harness as I just dont remember.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks

Old 07-01-2007, 10:45 PM
I'd wire it so that at least the parking lights have to be on to activate the fog lights. This way if you have auto lights you cant leave them on and drain the battery. Also the truck warns you anytime you have the running lights (possibly the fogs) still on if you get out of the truck.

Why the square lights and not the round ones? The round ones match the headlights better IMO.

What ever you decide to do, I like to power high current devices with a relay.
There is no best way to wire it, since its a clean install you can do it the way that suits you. Factory style, on/off with the fogs, on/off with the high beams, just fuse, use the right size wire and good installation techniques for long and safe operation.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 PM
I used a relay and fed it with 10ga wire from the batt and used a line switched with the key to activate the relay.This way I get the power from the batt and the switched line keeps me from leaving them on when I shut the truck off.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:24 AM
I did this with my 04 screw and what I found is that the harness was there up to the fuse block so I was able to use the factory fog light switch. My fuse box even had the fog light relay installed, unfortunatley there was no pin on the output of the relay to the front of the truck. I wired the lights up with a external relay and used the input wire from the fog light switch to fog light relay to activate the relay under the hood. This is a real easy mod to do.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks all for the replies Ill have to look through the harnesses when I get time. thanks again

Quick Reply: Adding factory driving lights