2004 - 2008 F-150

Do I Have Serious Problems? Engine Noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I Have Serious Problems? Engine Noises

My 2004 Lariat has started sounding a little like a diesel over the past few days. I had the oil changed today and watched the engine shake horribly as they started it up. The owner of the store told me that it looks like my engine is about to go from my "abuse". He gave me a butt chewing because I don't change my oil every 3,000 miles like I should and wait until any where from 5K-6K. He also told me that it ws because those other oil change guys have been putting the wrong weight oil in. He was suprised when he looked in his computer to see this was the ninth time that he has changed it in the 47K miles of the truck. Do you think I have something to be concerned about here? Someone else told me to fill it with high octane gas one time and it should help out with the noise.
The second problem that he pointed out was that my rear differential is leaking. This is true as I found some oil on my garage floor under the bed. Could this be a problem on a truck with only 47K miles? I drive it very gently and have never towed anything. I really got angry when the guy told me this is all from my abuse. He recommended getting rid of the truck or I will have thousands in expenses before too long.
Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned enough that I should get rid of my love or is riding it out and taking a wait and see approach a better idea. I will have it paid off this October and with other expenses, I really looked forward to driving it a couple of more years with no payments. I hate to have to trade it in on an 07 and start all over again. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 PM
my truck sounds like a 1950's diesel when started up. Then it goes away after a minute. I believe something broke loose in the catalytic converter or near the headers. I change my oil every 5000 miles and it still looks clean, its not nessessary to change it at 3000 miles because the 5.4 hold about 7 quarts of oil

Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5,000 miles is now the Ford recommended oil change interval. You probably have noisy cam phasers. Is your truck missing or has it had the check engine light come on? The rear diff leaking is just a seal gone bad, has nothing to do with use or abuse. Sounds like the only thing that has been abused was you; by the goofy lube guy. Get a new diff seal and find a better place to get your oil changed.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will quit worrying. Is replacing the seal on the differential a faily easy job? Should I have Ford do it or is it something that most places can handle?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't have an extended warranty, I would take it to a shop that has experience with differential work. If it is warranty work, take it to Ford.

Quick Reply: Do I Have Serious Problems? Engine Noises