2004 - 2008 F-150

Wiring harness question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring harness question?

Hi all...

So, I got a killer offer, and I'm trading my 06 Scab XLT (Dark Stone) into the dealer in about 5 weeks, when my newly ordered 07 FX4 (Black Two Tone W/ D.Shadow) arrives.

I already have planned to do the power tailgate lock mod that Myst (thanks for the great writeup!) has detailed, and I plan on also installing a set of AMP Research PowerStep bars. (I want clean rocker panel lines and was ready to skip step bars altogether; the wifey unit insisted on them and somehow, when I said those were the only ones I'd want, she didn't flip when I told her how much they were, and that I had enough to pay for them already... )

My question is, for all the 04+ models, is the coloring codes on all the wiring harnesses the same? I don't have a factory service/electrical manual yet, and I want to be sure that I splice into the correct wires for my installs on the first try.

Myst's info details the PASSENGER power door lock signals as Pink w/ orange strip, and Pink with black stripe. Located in the rear of the harness trough under the PASSENGER side suicide door on a Scab.

AMP's info details the DOOR SENSORS as Black w/ Yellow stripe and Black w/ Pink stripe. (no idea which is which though) Located in the rear of the harness trough under the DRIVER side suicide door on a Scab.

I just want to triple check that Ford hasn't changed wiring harness wiring colors during the last few years. I know it's something that should easy to assume, but you know what they say when you 'assume'

Thanks all! (I'll post pics as soon as the new Scab arrives!)

E.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Anyone?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Wiring colors for 2007 driver and passenger door lock buttons.

UNLOCK_SIGNAL WIRE = PINK w/ LIGHT GREEN
LOCK_SIGNAL WIRE = PINK w/ YELLOW
BUTTON ILLUMINATION = LIGHT GREEN w/ YELLOW

Those are the wire colors at the switches themselves and the colors are the same for a 2004. I only use the Ford wiring diagrams for my own personal reasons, so I'm not too familliar with them. I can't find the wire colors for the door sensors, but all the interior illumination wire colors are also the same. I think it's safe to say that there haven't been many if any wire color changes.

Sorry I can't help more... if I have more free time later I'll search a little harder.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by baja150
Wiring colors for 2007 driver and passenger door lock buttons.

UNLOCK_SIGNAL WIRE = PINK w/ LIGHT GREEN
LOCK_SIGNAL WIRE = PINK w/ YELLOW
BUTTON ILLUMINATION = LIGHT GREEN w/ YELLOW

Those are the wire colors at the switches themselves and the colors are the same for a 2004. I only use the Ford wiring diagrams for my own personal reasons, so I'm not too familliar with them. I can't find the wire colors for the door sensors, but all the interior illumination wire colors are also the same. I think it's safe to say that there haven't been many if any wire color changes.

Sorry I can't help more... if I have more free time later I'll search a little harder.
Interesting; that seems to contradict Myst's online instructions even.

Now, forgive me for asking more, but do those wire colors you indicate say if they're for the driver side door lock actuator, or the passenger side?

Because I'm pretty certain Myst's colors were for the passenger side actuator, so that it would take two presses of the alarm fob to unlock the tailgate. (which is how I'd like it to be set up also)

It would make sense if your listed colors were for the driver side, since they all seem to be 'base of pink' for the wire. (just different color stripes depending upon which side they belonged to) But that's entirely a guess on my part.

I wish I had a dang electrical manual....

If the colors and harnesses are all the same from 2004-2007, maybe I'll just go poking in my 2006 before I trade it in; do some 'test hookup's on the items without actually installing them to see if the indicated wires really do what they supposedly are claimed to. =)

E.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Just an update to my own thread.

The power door lock actuator arrived, so I played a little. Figured I'd muck with the 06 model's wiring 'just to see'.

On my 2006, Myst's coloring codes for the power tailgate mod still stands. On the passenger side, but not the rear section of the supercab (they are FORWARD of the 'hump' in the trough; the wires TURN and go towards the center console of the truck right near the 'hump', so they don't exist at all under the rear suicide door sill trough) there are indeed a pink with orange stripe, and pink with a black stripe.

I shaved the insulation off, and temporarily attached the actuator to these two wires, and sure enough, the lock and double press to unlock actuated it properly. (but not single unlock as that's drivers door signal only)

But I'm not doing the mod to this truck though, since it'll be traded into the dealer in a few weeks for my special order FX4, so I recovered the insulation and taped it all back up so it's nice and protected again like factory.

FWIW, I was curious, and couldn't find it anywhere mentioned here, but the $4 actuator (black colored unit, comes with some screws and a bar on a cardboard blister pack, says 'central doorlock systems') that I got off ebay, has a HALF INCH of travel. That doesn't seem like a whole lot, but hopefully I can make it work through the levering process inside the tailgate.

E.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 05-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by -TXF150-
pic 1
pic 2
Thanks for the pics.

But, Hmm. It looks like you tapped into them near the rear of the trough? Or is that the front of the driver's side?

Once I located them, I traced mine rearward as best as I could on my supercab, and I could swear the two indicated wires turn at about mid trough, and run towards the center console; they don't continue back any further beneath the rear suicide door. But this is on my passenger side....

Maybe Scabs and Screws are different?

E.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:35 PM
In my 2005 Screw, the pink/black & pink/orange wires are on the pillar side (of the front passenger door). On hindsight, this is equivalent to the rear passenger door of a scab. No biggie, since I still needed to remove both step covers to route the wires. The tailgate now works as advertised.

One of these days I will improve my setup by adding a connector by the tailgate end, in case I ever need to remove the tailgate.

Quick Reply: Wiring harness question?