2004 - 2008 F-150

How can I clean my exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How can I clean my exhaust?

I have had the Borla Dual Exhaust on this truck now for three years. I have had alot of black buildup around the edge of the pipes. After the winter I try to clean them and nothing seems to bring back the original luster of the stainless steel especially on the outside bottom of the pipes.

I've even tried brillo (sos) pads and they don't do it...

Any suggestions PLEASE!!!

Old 04-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Luster as in you can't get the black off of them or luster as in they look dull?

The brillo pads are going to marr the polished finish, making it look dull. You'll need to get yourself some polish and go after it to make them shine like they were when new. You'll probably never get the finish back like it was by hand polishing though.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Hey dude I ran into the same problem yesterday I have the same exhaust you have Roush off road exhaust dual rear exit made by borla I beleive, anywho I took one off and got some 0000 steel wool tried it on a hidden spot and it cleaned up nicely so I went to town with it and cleaned it but make sure you have some water and dip it first what I used was the carwash soap from last weekend lol. After that I used Meguiars Next metal polish and it turned out awesome. Now here is where things went south on the passenger side tail pipe there was one rough patch so I went the same route as the other tip and it didn't want to clean up so then I tried 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and it was ok but not good enough then tried 600 grit and it did take that black stuff out but before the sandpaper I did notice a copper color started to appear with the steel wool. So beware of what you try that cooper color was coming off and reappeared so I dont know if it was a cating or not, so I gave up on that tip so I'm just going to replace it.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Try stainless steel grill (as in BBQ Grill) cleaner...in should make it look like new without a lot of work.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
Try stainless steel grill (as in BBQ Grill) cleaner...in should make it look like new without a lot of work.

Thanx, I'll give that a shot. They look sharp when they are new and clean. Hopefully I can get them back to that look!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Give this a try --

PowerMetal®
Drawing upon our legendary metal polish formulas, we’ve created an extraordinary liquid metal polish for use by hand or with our revolutionary Mothers® PowerBall® polishing tool. Mothers® PowerMetal® polish is great for all polishable metals, including aluminum, brass, stainless steel, gold, silver and more.

I used it on my Goat for the exact reason your outlined and it bought it back to brand new.

Quick Reply: How can I clean my exhaust?