2004 - 2008 F-150

edge evo blacked out

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edge evo blacked out

I've had this edge for about 11 months now, it started with the screen staying frozen, and then it kept asking for the hex code and press enter menu, all this would happen and i would just unplug and plug the unit and then it would be ok. Well i finally got tired of that and decided to update the unit, i looked at the program setting and it said "0" meaning no program is in use and i did not set it back to stock it just happend. it would not let me set it back to stock, i then proceed to update my lightning and try and program the unit and nothing happens and now the truck doesn't pick it up either (turn on).

when i try programming it says its in "run mode" is currently set as a stock writer, or the memory is corrupted. i am calling tech support but wanted to know if any of u had this issue before and what type of warranty does this unit come with?? thanx in advance.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 AM
When it got cold, my screen blacked out and everytime I turned on the ignition it asked about the hex code. My gauges would freeze up for a minute after i started the motor. I need to call them but it still works when I replug it in.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd have to say -- I know there are oodles and oodles and oodles of these things in use but, you guys are pretty tolerant with this device. It seems like there's always someone with a problem - granted most of them get resolved - but, it seems like it's a constant battle... I know some of you have NEVER had a problem but, several have...

This isn't a us versus them thread... just a fly on the wall's observation. Again, it's not a bash on the EVO.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 AM
stupid question, but was your key in the "on" position before you plugged the edge in? I've plugged it in with the truck off and it asks for the hex code. unplugged it, waited a couple seconds, turned the key on and plugged it in and it was fine, displayed the hex code and went straight to the main screen.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I'd have to say -- I know there are oodles and oodles and oodles of these things in use but, you guys are pretty tolerant with this device. It seems like there's always someone with a problem - granted most of them get resolved - but, it seems like it's a constant battle... I know some of you have NEVER had a problem but, several have...

This isn't a us versus them thread... just a fly on the wall's observation. Again, it's not a bash on the EVO.
Rockpick...you're right. I have an Edge also. I haven't had any problems with mine thus far (except for the shudder at 60mph). But every day when I start my truck up, there is an ounce of "nervousness" I get and a sigh of "relief" when everything works, and I shouldn't feel that way!!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
It's like the "jello" shaking beds on the new body style totally stock trucks. Before I bought my truck I was scared to death I'd have it since everyone on here seemed to say they had it.

From the posts it seemed like it was a sure thing. I bought the truck anyhow and mine doesn't do it...

(edited for clarity).

Last edited by goslow; 02-13-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have had no problems. Mine works just great. I think many of the problems are users not following the instructions. Also, I have not downloaded any of the changes since I got it back in July. Why change it if it is working great? I think some people think an update has to be a good thing when most likely it does not even apply to them.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by goslow
It's like the "jello" shaking beds. Before I bought my truck I was scared to death I'd have it since everyone on here seemed to say they had it.

From the posts it seemed like it was a sure thing. I bought it anyhow and mine doesn't do it...
from what i've seen, everyone that has the shake has updated the pod. i bought mine a year ago and still haven't updated it.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Dribone
from what i've seen, everyone that has the shake has updated the pod. i bought mine a year ago and still haven't updated it.
Yeah...I haven't updated mine also. Only time I ever unplugged it was to paint my pod...and I was kinda nervous then.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
My point exactly.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm not talking about the edge, I mean the shaking beds that "everyone" was having with their trucks when the new body style came out.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by goslow
I'm not talking about the edge, I mean the shaking beds that "everyone" was having with their trucks when the new body style came out.
Wasn't that more of a 'drivetrain' vibration issue of some sort? It wasn't really the 'bed shaking' was it? Maybe I missed this one?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:38 AM
my mistake, I've only heard of people with the edge having a similar shake around 60 mph.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Wasn't that more of a 'drivetrain' vibration issue of some sort? It wasn't really the 'bed shaking' was it? Maybe I missed this one?
The symptoms were seen in the side mirrors, as people said it shook like jello...

I think people claimed it was due to shafts or tires, or wheels, or any other number of mysterious reasons. I recall many folks saying they had to get their tires road force balanced.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Those people that have problems with their trucks (primarily the ones who are bricking their vehicles) are the ones that know the edge unit isn't working right (when the unit doesn't recognize their tune) and they proceed to TRY to fix it anyway instead of taking the few minutes to call EDGE. I think most people if they have any problem with the XCALII just pick up the phone and call Troyer. I wish these Edge people would do the same thing. Maybe one of these days people will learn that a vehicles PCM isn't like windows where if something happens a reboot will generally take care of it.

Sorry...just had to vent about the Edge and lack of user common sense.

Quick Reply: edge evo blacked out