2004 - 2008 F-150

Tranny clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny clunk?

I get a clunk in my tranny when putting it in 1st from reverse. Its never happend before. Every once in a while I get it while putting it in reverse from park also. Anyone had this and what did you do to fix it?

Old 01-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The clunk is from your U-joint not your transmission, plain and simple. Your sig sort of explains why.... Those huge tires are pretty heavy. That's a heck of a strain on the whole drive train when trying to spin them.

This is what happens when you launch at 7000rpm....you find your weakest link:

The Ujoints on my mustang are solid. They have no core for greese. These Ujoints will handle a 2000hp motor, so it's safe to say they should never break on me...

PS: Just looked at your pics...where did you get that 3rd brake light from. I like the all clear look of it.

PSS: A closer inspection of your sig...it looks like the smoke was photoshoped? Even so, the clunk is one of the U-joints.

Last edited by rms8; 01-04-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:15 PM
The smoke in my sig is not real. My truck was parked.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:58 PM
would warrranty cover the u-joints?

Old 01-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tt64vert
would warrranty cover the u-joints?
Not on his truck. It's an 04. But, if he still had time left on the warranty, more than likely they would take one look at his truck and charge him. I mean seriously, his truck has been specifically altered for off road use. Weather or not he abuses his truck is trivial. That would be like me trying to get my mustang covered under warranty for a spun main bearing (if my mustang actually had a warranty that is). There are some dealerships that are very lenient and would help him out, just depends on his dealership I guess.

This will be an out of pocket expense.

He can get up under there and grab the drive shaft. Then try and turn it back and fourth. If it has excessive play, then he found his clunk. There should always be a very tiny bit of play due to preload, but it shouldn’t be very much at all. I’m not even sure if the 04’s had removable Ujoints. I thought I saw a thread on here some time ago saying that they were not??? If they are replaceable, they shouldn’t be very much at all. He will need a press to get the sloppy one off and the new one on though.

Last edited by rms8; 01-04-2007 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny clunk?