2004 - 2008 F-150

Upgrading Reverse Lights??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading Reverse Lights??

I was walking my dog last night and a new Cadillac car (not sure which model) was backing out of his driveway, and his backup lights were SOOOO bright nearly HID bright..

Are there any bulb upgrades for the backup lights for our trucks? They are definitely not bright enough. I know there are accessories that can be bought such as fog lights, and the lights that go on the hitch receiver, but I'm talking specifically about bulb upgrades.

Anyone?

Old 01-03-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm in the process of upgrading mine. Will post pics when I'm done. I bought a set of fog lights that I'm mounting under the edge of the bumper. I'm wiring them into the trailer hitch wiring. Wiring is complete, and works... now I have to just mount the lights.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 AM
That's cool and all.. but not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for bulb replacement..

Last edited by SSpiro; 01-03-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ieee_raider
I'm in the process of upgrading mine. Will post pics when I'm done. I bought a set of fog lights that I'm mounting under the edge of the bumper. I'm wiring them into the trailer hitch wiring. Wiring is complete, and works... now I have to just mount the lights.
How do you plan on protecting them when offroading (assuming that is what you do)?

BTW, you must be happy about Bobby Knight's win earlier this week!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by SSpiro
That's cool and all.. but not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for bulb replacement..
There are a couple of aftermarket reverse lights out there, but don't let them fool you. I previously wasted my money on the 2004. Stick with stock or find a way to modify the housing.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by newmandl
How do you plan on protecting them when offroading (assuming that is what you do)?

BTW, you must be happy about Bobby Knight's win earlier this week!
I don't do any *intentional* off-roading, but have been caught in the mud before. With my planned mounting location, they should be decently protected. I'll post a thread with pics when I'm done...

And yeah, it's cool... but I was more excited about our Insight bowl comeback!!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by a n t h o n y
There are a couple of aftermarket reverse lights out there, but don't let them fool you. I previously wasted my money on the 2004. Stick with stock or find a way to modify the housing.
"Modify" is a scary word

Old 01-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not aware of anything out there that you simply replace your OEM backup bulbs with that really work. A few years ago I tried a set of what were billed as "55 watt halogen backup bulbs." They looked like somebody took an H3 bulb and potted it in an 1156 male socket. Yea, they plugged right in - and were virtually worthless. Like many others, I've added a second set of lights working in concert with my factory backup lights. Remember, your factory reverse circuit isn't rated to handle a ton more load, so use a relay powered from a more appropriate circuit.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I've always looked into buying the one that goes on the hitch receiver... I guess I'll go that route.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I posted the same question about 8 months ago, but nobody knew of any stronger bulbs. My current reverse lighting sucks even more since I've sprayed them with two coats of Nightshade Paint...Looks great but reverse lighting sucks.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:54 PM
I bought some L.E.D. Reverse, and brake bulbs for my truck and they are way brighter, they're better then stock for what there worth on EBAY.

MoBann

Old 01-04-2007, 01:40 AM
What I did was, go PIAA bulbs all around. You can get the back up bulbs and the third brake light/bed light a lighter brighter that way. It helped a little, but I added driving lights under the bed. Tucked them in so you can't see them without kneeling down, but back it up, and the neighbors house will illuminate. I got the back up camera sytem for Xmas. Think I'm going that route instead. It should help me back my jetski trailer up too.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by xlint1
What I did was, go PIAA bulbs all around. You can get the back up bulbs and the third brake light/bed light a lighter brighter that way. It helped a little, but I added driving lights under the bed. Tucked them in so you can't see them without kneeling down, but back it up, and the neighbors house will illuminate. I got the back up camera sytem for Xmas. Think I'm going that route instead. It should help me back my jetski trailer up too.
Do you have pics of the driving lights and where you mounted them?

Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by FX4REACTION1
I bought some L.E.D. Reverse, and brake bulbs for my truck and they are way brighter, they're better then stock for what there worth on EBAY.

MoBann
More info? Link?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by ieee_raider
Do you have pics of the driving lights and where you mounted them?
Sorry, no pics of lights. They are bolted up to the factory trailer hitch to frame bracket.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Reverse Lights??