2004 - 2008 F-150

HELP! Rollbak install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Rollbak install question

Hi all.

I have a new Rollback cover I am installing, and I have a question...

When putting on the side rails, does the 04 + F150 need shims? Without them, the rails tip up a bit...

But the instructions do not make it very clear.

Thanks
don04

Old 11-18-2006, 01:47 PM
YES you need the shims... the cover will bind without them in about 6 months if you don't. (rollbak sent me a new cover at that time- free of charge) the instructions definitely leave a bit to be desired...

Old 11-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks Balog UK. I will give them a try.

Your pics of your cover were one of the main reasons I bought mine... It was very flat...

I hope mine comes out as nice.

Thanks again
don04

Old 11-18-2006, 01:58 PM
hey thanks-
yea just stick one per clamp like they say and you will be good to go- if you've got a friend to help you, when you tighten the clamps, you will have to alternate front to back (you put the back one on, then the front, the back will loosen and fall off unless you have someone helping you out)

Old 11-18-2006, 04:33 PM
I did not use the shims on mine, and yes I agree the directions don't make this very clear..BTW mine has held up with no problems going on a year now.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:37 PM
*i live off road...unpaved roads, dust and mud 95% year may accelerate the binding...
the first cover which bound, i did not use the shims on, as the directions really didn't say... my second cover, they gave me an updated installation manual-ie, use the shims on the 04-06 f150's, tweaked my lock bar (the entire left track) per my request/driving conditions

Old 11-18-2006, 05:33 PM
BalogUK- when you say binding are you talking about the track or the slats that make up the cover? If its the slats would the binding make some of the slats pop up a little not making the cover sit flat? I have noticed a slight hump on the back part of the cover near the tailgate end.

What did you tell RollBak in order for them to replace it?
Thanks

Old 11-18-2006, 05:46 PM
well, if the shims arent installed, the track rails which the cover slides on are not parallel to the cover...because of this, the cover begins to twist when you roll it in and out- when it twists, the slates slide laterally, and when you deploy it, some of the slats wont go on the track, slip under it and it all goes to hell from there... the shims keep the track parallel to the slats, and keeps everything aligned correctly. soo if you stand on the drivers side of the truck, looking at the passenger side track, the slats should be flush with the track, if at any point, the slats are dipping low, you are off-track and your problems are just beginning. if they are, and you are out of warranty, PM me, i know how to fix it.

well, i was still within their warranty when it failed..i emailed them, actually asking for 2 new slats that had bound, chipped the paint off- they questioned the bind, and walked them thru the whole thing- ended up talking on the phone with the designer for about 30 mins, at that point he determined that the problem was not having the shims- i said well, the directions say to install the shims if the truck rails are not perpendicular- the f150 rails are perpendicular... he said "oh, really?" and he sent me a new cover

Old 11-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the help all...

I did use the shims and almost everything is straight. The tailgate end the slats dip down just a bit. I think it is because I put the shims near the top, and not at an angle.

So, I have a piece of 1/8" plex I cut into strips to shim up further. I may try to pull out the shims, but don't think I can get my paws in there to release them. I figure a little touch up will fix it fine. Everything is straight at the front.... just near the tailgate is dipping down.

Otherwise, with a lot of guessing... things went together pretty well.

don04

Old 11-18-2006, 09:39 PM
when you say its dipping down, how far are we talking? the last slat should be slightly lower, as it is the one that falls into the 'catch' hook thing on the passenger side track

if i remember correctly, the shims should be at the top...

Old 11-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by BalogUK
when you say its dipping down, how far are we talking? the last slat should be slightly lower, as it is the one that falls into the 'catch' hook thing on the passenger side track

if i remember correctly, the shims should be at the top...
hey balog, can you take a few pics of the shims you're talking about? i bought mine off of one of the forum members, and when i installed it, everything looks great (and perfectly straight). but i'd like to see what you're talking about (binding). thanks.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by 5.4-FX4
hey balog, can you take a few pics of the shims you're talking about? i bought mine off of one of the forum members, and when i installed it, everything looks great (and perfectly straight). but i'd like to see what you're talking about (binding). thanks.
i can't take any pictures, as that would require me to take half the cover apart... BUT they are 1.5" long x 3/8" wide x 1/8" deep aluminum spacers with adhesive on one side. they go at the top of the bed rail edge before you clamp the track to the rail..i will see if i've got some pictures of my first cover to show you what went wrong...

okay, look at the tracks. see how they are tilted slightly upward? this is a problem. they need to be flush. the shims that you stick to the top inside edge of the bed rail make the track sit even to verrry slightly downward when you clamp it. then when the cover is pulled out, the track stiffens, and is perfectly even across the bed

Last edited by BalogUK; 11-19-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:29 PM
okay...sorry, but i just realized i have the roll-n-lock, and you guys were talking about the rollback. thanks.

Quick Reply: HELP! Rollbak install question