F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   2008 F-150 Information (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/256238-2008-f-150-information.html)

Smokewagun 10-06-2006 05:24 PM

2008 F-150 Information

Yes, yes, I know. The 2007's just came out, but I have been reading little spot articles about the new redesigned F-150 coming out in 2008, and can't help but get excited. It sounds like it will be set up to keep the resty trailing behind, and most likely include a small smoker. I am a diesel fanatic and was wondering what anyone else has been reading. I think the latest Superduty (2008) article made mention of the 2008 F-150 being a sharp redesign to keep the F-150 the best-selling truck again for the 25th/30th year. Any news from any of you at the plants? :banana:

()smoke() 10-06-2006 05:36 PM

i read some of those articles too, but i have heard more to the contrary, that a diesel option and redesign won't come until 2009

:smoke:

BlackFlag 10-06-2006 05:52 PM

What I've seen is that the new model will be a MY2009 released in 2008 and should have the 4.4L diesel from Range Rover as an option.

Rockpick 10-06-2006 06:02 PM

1/5 redesign for 08' I believe... in short, you'll see some stuff but, not a bunch.... so I've heard.

4RDFMLY 10-06-2006 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Yes, yes, I know. The 2007's just came out, but I have been reading little spot articles about the new redesigned F-150 coming out in 2008, and can't help but get excited. It sounds like it will be set up to keep the resty trailing behind, and most likely include a small smoker. I am a diesel fanatic and was wondering what anyone else has been reading. I think the latest Superduty (2008) article made mention of the 2008 F-150 being a sharp redesign to keep the F-150 the best-selling truck again for the 25th/30th year. Any news from any of you at the plants? :banana:

Love your truck. I want one bad.:thumbsup:

jljue 10-06-2006 09:53 PM

I'm not surprised about a refreshing for 2008 or 2009. I didn't have time to watch PT1 builds for '08 Titans except for passing by a LWB '08 Titan at work, but I did get to see the first PT1 build '08 Armadas run down the line, and the changes are pretty nice. Basically, the new interior makes the current Titan/Armada interior look ugly, and the new front fascia looks better than the current, and they have prox sensors in them like the rear fascia.

Point, all manufacturers need to keep updating and tweaking to stay ahead, and Ford needs to do what it takes to get themselves out of trouble. I'm not impressed with the new Silverado and Tundra interiors, but, while I think that the current F-150 interior is better than the current Titan interior, Nissan is definitely working hard to improve sales. In fact we are still slated to launch the '08 Titan at the end of April/beginning of May '07.

Anyway, I'm interested in how Ford plans to refresh the F-150 in the next couple of years in its efforts for corporate turnaround.

JonF150 10-06-2006 11:02 PM

2008 superduty F250-F450 are on Fords site already... Gonna take some gettin used to for me...

fla.boy 10-07-2006 01:31 AM

anobody heard if we might see another 'lightning' ?

powerage 10-07-2006 01:49 AM

My gues is it's going to look something like the 2007 expedition:thumbsup:

4xford1 10-07-2006 08:34 AM

All I care about is the ''Hemi Fighting'' Boss 6.2!!!:thumbsup:

fla.boy 10-07-2006 03:49 PM

whats a ' boss 6.2 ' ?

4xford1 10-07-2006 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by fla.boy
whats a ' boss 6.2 ' ?

It was going to be called the hurricane but ford changed the name to boss...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...603260358/1148

elmer7149 10-07-2006 10:26 PM

no more lighting

SuperSport1985 10-08-2006 01:17 AM

Svt?

ChevySniper 10-08-2006 01:35 AM

that 2008 F-250 on Ford's site is butt freakin ugly :eek: What the hell are they thinking?

ShadowFx4 10-08-2006 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by ChevySniper
that 2008 F-250 on Ford's site is butt freakin ugly :eek: What the hell are they thinking?

10-4 that

bigbird15 10-08-2006 08:50 AM

2009 f150

The redesigned F150 will be for the 2009my. I do not know if the 6.2 boss is still a go or not but I can confirm that the new F150 will have a engine compartment to accomodate the V10. So maybe the 6.2 will be a no go.:rocker:

4xford1 10-08-2006 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bigbird15
The redesigned F150 will be for the 2009my. I do not know if the 6.2 boss is still a go or not but I can confirm that the new F150 will have a engine compartment to accomodate the V10. So maybe the 6.2 will be a no go.:rocker:

It will be called a '09 model but it will be out mid to late '08. The boss engine is a go and I hope the V10 is a F-250 and up engine not in the F-150.

jasonkola 10-08-2006 09:39 AM

I emailed ford a month or so ago on some ideas for the new 2008. f150. I keep thinking of more ideas I might emai them again. as far as the interior goes. I really like what they got now. the only changes I would make are better seats. and perhaps a rubber floor covering option. side air bags would be good too.I like the quiet smooth ride. so I would not really change any of the suspension. except possibily put an adgustable front lift in. so those of us dont have to buy the daystars and the autospring lifts to lift it 1.5 to 2.5 inches to make it look good. I sure hope they do not change the bolt patten on the wheels again its been hard enough finding a set of aftermarket I like with the new bolt pattern. the most changes I would like to see are in the drive train. I would like to see an all wheel drive option so I don't have to keep switching the 4wd on and off in the winter every time I hit a dry patch of pavement. I would love to see a 5 or 6 speed transmission. also like the 5.4 but would welcome a 4 valve aluminum version. as for the 4.2 desiel I have been hearing about. I might consider it if they designed it right. quieter not so stinky. and with more get go off the line. the few desiels I have driven have been pretty lame off the line. that would help with a 6 speed tranny though. you could put a lower gear in the rear end with out hurting the gas milage with a 6 speed tranny. anyhow if you as customers want to email ford with ideas thats a good idea as they did respond back saying they appreciated customer feed back and kept track of our input.

4xford1 10-08-2006 05:14 PM

Those are some great thoughts! The only thing I would change is more HP!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Smokewagun 10-09-2006 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by 4RDFMLY
Love your truck. I want one bad.:thumbsup:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

fordmantpw 10-09-2006 01:17 PM

The diesel F150 is coming. This will be perfect timing for me. I'll give them a year after the debut to work out any bugs, then a diesel F150 will be in my garage. :banana: :banana: :banana:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...showtopic=7263

PHS79 10-09-2006 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by fordmantpw
The diesel F150 is coming. This will be perfect timing for me. I'll give them a year after the debut to work out any bugs, then a diesel F150 will be in my garage. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Same for me, as long as the truck has a good size tow rating. Which I would think will happen if the motor is putting down over 450 lbft of torque. And if it will get anywhere near 25 mpg like the Rover does, that would be great!! Hopefully they will release it in either 2008 (I know the news story said late 2008) or 2009, since I will be about due for another truck by then, mine may actually have 60,000 miles on it by that point.

4xford1 10-09-2006 08:16 PM

I know there is alot of people that like the diesel but I want the 6.2:thumbsup:

jasonkola 10-09-2006 08:29 PM

I highly doubt you will see a 6.2 offered in the f150. ford is loosing alot of business right now due to these trucks being gas guzzlers. there would not be alot of takers on the 6.2. there would be alot of takers though on the diesel though if it got good enough gas milage and offered plenty of power. but if they offered a aluminum 4v 5.4 with say 350 hp I might prefer that. I guess I would have to test drive both to see which I prefered. the gas milage thing is one of the things that might make me lean tword the diesel.

countyboy04 10-09-2006 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by PHS79
since I will be about due for another truck by then, mine may actually have 60,000 miles on it by that point.

Man, mine will probably 200+ by then.

Smokewagun 10-10-2006 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by PHS79
Same for me, as long as the truck has a good size tow rating. Which I would think will happen if the motor is putting down over 450 lbft of torque. And if it will get anywhere near 25 mpg like the Rover does, that would be great!! Hopefully they will release it in either 2008 (I know the news story said late 2008) or 2009, since I will be about due for another truck by then, mine may actually have 60,000 miles on it by that point.

This morning, ironically, I caught the tail end of a show on Sirius that was about the upcoming V-8 diesel for the GM light duty trucks. It said that GM's version of a light duty diesel will have about 275 HP and 600 LBS of torque. I tried the website it offered, but couldn't find anything about it.

Come on Blue Oval. Get 'er done! Quick!

4xford1 10-10-2006 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jasonkola
I highly doubt you will see a 6.2 offered in the f150. ford is loosing alot of business right now due to these trucks being gas guzzlers. there would not be alot of takers on the 6.2. there would be alot of takers though on the diesel though if it got good enough gas milage and offered plenty of power. but if they offered a aluminum 4v 5.4 with say 350 hp I might prefer that. I guess I would have to test drive both to see which I prefered. the gas milage thing is one of the things that might make me lean tword the diesel.

I dont see the 6.2 not being in the F-150....I think ford needs this engine to put the hemi in it's place. I know I dont buy a truck looking for gas milage and there are alot of other people that dont either. If I want gas milage I'll look at something else besides a truck. And if the diesel makes it in the F-150 I wont be one of the people buying one I dont like diesels.

ThumperMX113 10-10-2006 05:49 PM

The 4.4L TT will be the one eating up the HEMIs. . :lol: :santa:

svt2205 10-10-2006 06:20 PM

Ford will offer diesel in F-150

Richard Truett | | Automotive News / October 9, 2006 - 1:00 am

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. will launch its F-150 pickup with a diesel engine in 2008 or 2009, a former top executive confirmed.

If it arrives on time, the F-150 probably will be the first light-duty pickup with a diesel in North America.

Dave Szczupak, who retired last week as Ford's vice president of manufacturing for the Americas, said the F-150 will get a version of the 3.6-liter V-8 diesel used in the Land Rover Range Rover SUV sold in Europe.

Ford will be the first with the product unless Toyota or Nissan pulls off a surprise.

Gary Convis, Toyota's executive vice president of engineering and manufacturing for North America, said last month that Toyota had not yet sourced a diesel engine for the Toyota Tundra and might even buy one from a supplier. Nissan is negotiating with International Truck & Engine Corp. for a V-8 diesel for the Nissan Titan, but neither company has announced a deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New diesel
Ford F-150 diesel facts
3.6-liter, 32-valve V-8 with electronically controlled twin turbochargers
Estimated hp: 250-275
Pro: The F-150 diesel would offer a fuel-efficient pickup to small-business owners and should help Ford retain overall truck sales leadership.
Con: Ford officials worry it could cannibalize sales of the more profitable F-250 diesel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM eyes diesel engine

General Motors has announced plans for a small V-8 diesel truck engine after 2010. Dodge is expected to get new V-6 and V-8 diesels from longtime supplier Cummins in 2010.

Ford, GM and Dodge currently offer diesels only in their heavy-duty pickups.

The Range Rover's new diesel engine, developed with PSA/Peugeot-Citroen SA, was launched this year in Europe and looks like an ideal engine for a light-duty truck. The 267-hp V-8 develops 472 pounds-feet of torque - plenty of pulling power for consumers who might use a diesel F-150 to haul small trailers. The British market Range Rover gets 25 mpg.

Szczupak said a version of that engine would be used in the F-150. But engineers have to rework the engine to get it to conform to U.S. federal emissions standards.

"We haven't specified a Job 1 date, but we'll be pretty close by the end of 2008," Szczupak said of the 3.6-liter diesel.

Two major tasks

He said to get the engine U.S.-certified, Ford's diesel team has two tasks: First, it has to redesign some of the components to make the engine produce lower emissions in the cylinder. Then, team members have to choose a robust, reliable and affordable emissions system.

"There's a huge challenge for diesels in the under-8,500 (pounds gross vehicle weight) pickups in terms of meeting emission standards," Szczupak said.

Ford's diesel team has not made a final decision about the diesel F-150's emissions system, he said. Ford could go with urea injection to clean up harmful oxides of nitrogen, or NOx. The other option is a lean NOx trap. Both would be used with a diesel particulate filter.

"We will need a significantly more complex emission treatment and aftertreatment," Szczupak said. "We are looking at every option, whether it is a (urea) additive system or nonadditive."

Ford is determined to maintain sales leadership in full-sized trucks. The company has flirted with a light-duty diesel in the past but dropped plans when costs and reliability issues couldn't be reconciled.

dsw1000 10-10-2006 10:06 PM

when i get this one paid off i will be ready for the 2015 model. anyone know anything about those. :banana: :lol:

ssurfer321 10-10-2006 10:14 PM

...and perhaps a rubber floor covering option

It's called the carpet delete option. I have the rubber floor in my STX and LOVE it. Hit it with the hose and its clean. The only drawback is lack of insulation so it is colder in the winter.

jasonkola 10-10-2006 10:46 PM

I didn't know of that option I will consider that next time I buy another truck. although winters here get quite cold so I think I would like the extra insulation. I have to take my floor liners out to clean them and also do alot of vacuming to remove pet hair ect. so the rubber floor would be great too. oh well I guess I will have to consider both optrions next time its time to order. it seems so odd that those diesels could have 600 lbs of torque and only 275 hp. I am not used to such a big difference between the two. I wander how that would compare to a engine that say puts out 350 hp and 375lbs of torque as I think they are capable of getting out of a 4v 5.4. I wander which one would do better say in the 1/4 mile or off the line?

MGDfan 10-11-2006 07:54 AM

I didn't know of that option I will consider that next time I buy another truck. although winters here get quite cold so I think I would like the extra insulation. I have to take my floor liners out to clean them and also do alot of vacuming to remove pet hair ect. so the rubber floor would be great too. oh well I guess I will have to consider both optrions next time its time to order. it seems so odd that those diesels could have 600 lbs of torque and only 275 hp. I am not used to such a big difference between the two. I wander how that would compare to a engine that say puts out 350 hp and 375lbs of torque as I think they are capable of getting out of a 4v 5.4. I wander which one would do better say in the 1/4 mile or off the line?

Hi.

Torque, baby - it's all about the torque. Trucks are heavy, remember?

This one will do just fine. There are 13-second F250's running around loose, with just some custom tuning. :)

Stinky, though - I never could get used to the smell of diesel - makes me wanna puke... :lol:

Complex little bugger, though - the French never could design anything simple, and once Ford reworks it, watch out. Warranty coverage will be key.

Also - driveline loss. The HAVE to address that - it's horrible with the current drivetrain. All those gains, only to be wasted as heat...

Cheers :beers:
Bubba

Smokewagun 10-11-2006 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

Torque, baby - it's all about the torque. Trucks are heavy, remember?

This one will do just fine. There are 13-second F250's running around loose, with just some custom tuning. :)

Stinky, though - I never could get used to the smell of diesel - makes me wanna puke... :lol:

Complex little bugger, though - the French never could design anything simple, and once Ford reworks it, watch out. Warranty coverage will be key.

Also - driveline loss. The HAVE to address that - it's horrible with the current drivetrain. All those gains, only to be wasted as heat...

Bubba

You'll never have to worry about the stink. After 2007 emissions, and the yet more strict EPA requirements of 2010, you can almost breathe the exhaust coming out without a hint of diesel. A friend of mine is the head of a local bus department (school), and he went to International's show a few years ago out west, which previewed the "clean diesel" technology engines. They had a spokesperson sniffing the tailpipe to show the engine was that clean. I'm not sure I'd be there sniffing, but you get the jist.

As far as the 600lbs. of torque, I'll bet that number is exagerrated with a 275hp rating.

Justis01 10-11-2006 09:40 AM

Stinky, though - I never could get used to the smell of diesel - makes me wanna puke...
Ain't nothing like the smell of diesel and hot black coffee in the morning:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Smokewagun 10-11-2006 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Justis01
Ain't nothing like the smell of diesel and hot black coffee in the morning

I'll second that! :rocker: :thumbsup: :banana:

Sackett 10-11-2006 02:16 PM

I was going to say something about the French Diesel too, but someone beat me to it! I can't imagine the jokes Ford will receive with this.

As far as a 4V 5.4L, you'll end up with a quicker truck in the higher RPM range, but less grunt where you need it with a truck, down low.

Again, these are not "Race Trucks". If you want a fast, stock 1/2 ton, get a R/T 10.

From what i've read, the F-150 Deisel will probably get 2mpg better in the city and 4 mpg better on the highway. That, is nothing to write home about, especially when Deisel is running $.40/gallon more than gasoline where i'm at right now.

No thanks Ford, i'll stick with my Gasser for now.

MGDfan 10-11-2006 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sackett
I was going to say something about the French Diesel too, but someone beat me to it! I can't imagine the jokes Ford will receive with this.

Bon soir!

Mon ami!

Comprendez-vous Diesel-ette ( peppe la phew !) avec deux turbos ???

Wee-Wee!!!

Bon chance !!!

Hey, I may be Canadian, but my french is for crap :) Though, while you guys were pouring their wine in the sewer, we were drinkin' it!

Bubba

Sackett 10-11-2006 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hey, I may be Canadian, but my french is for crap :) Though, while you guys were pouring their wine in the sewer, we were drinkin' it!

Not me. Although I think Texas makes better wine than the French, I would still not pour their wine down a sewer....unless I knew a Canadian was living in there ;)

Just for you Bubba, i'll post Ford's new marketing campain with the new F-150 Diesel:

"Non d'Oh ! C'est un camion d'amour de Chevy, je dois courir pendant ma vie et me cacher !"