F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   2008 F-150 Information (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/256238-2008-f-150-information.html)

dsw1000 10-10-2006 10:06 PM

when i get this one paid off i will be ready for the 2015 model. anyone know anything about those. :banana: :lol:

ssurfer321 10-10-2006 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by jasonkola
...and perhaps a rubber floor covering option

It's called the carpet delete option. I have the rubber floor in my STX and LOVE it. Hit it with the hose and its clean. The only drawback is lack of insulation so it is colder in the winter.

jasonkola 10-10-2006 10:46 PM

I didn't know of that option I will consider that next time I buy another truck. although winters here get quite cold so I think I would like the extra insulation. I have to take my floor liners out to clean them and also do alot of vacuming to remove pet hair ect. so the rubber floor would be great too. oh well I guess I will have to consider both optrions next time its time to order. it seems so odd that those diesels could have 600 lbs of torque and only 275 hp. I am not used to such a big difference between the two. I wander how that would compare to a engine that say puts out 350 hp and 375lbs of torque as I think they are capable of getting out of a 4v 5.4. I wander which one would do better say in the 1/4 mile or off the line?

MGDfan 10-11-2006 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by jasonkola
I didn't know of that option I will consider that next time I buy another truck. although winters here get quite cold so I think I would like the extra insulation. I have to take my floor liners out to clean them and also do alot of vacuming to remove pet hair ect. so the rubber floor would be great too. oh well I guess I will have to consider both optrions next time its time to order. it seems so odd that those diesels could have 600 lbs of torque and only 275 hp. I am not used to such a big difference between the two. I wander how that would compare to a engine that say puts out 350 hp and 375lbs of torque as I think they are capable of getting out of a 4v 5.4. I wander which one would do better say in the 1/4 mile or off the line?

Hi.

Torque, baby - it's all about the torque. Trucks are heavy, remember?

This one will do just fine. There are 13-second F250's running around loose, with just some custom tuning. :)

Stinky, though - I never could get used to the smell of diesel - makes me wanna puke... :lol:

Complex little bugger, though - the French never could design anything simple, and once Ford reworks it, watch out. Warranty coverage will be key.

Also - driveline loss. The HAVE to address that - it's horrible with the current drivetrain. All those gains, only to be wasted as heat...

Cheers :beers:
Bubba

Smokewagun 10-11-2006 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

Torque, baby - it's all about the torque. Trucks are heavy, remember?

This one will do just fine. There are 13-second F250's running around loose, with just some custom tuning. :)

Stinky, though - I never could get used to the smell of diesel - makes me wanna puke... :lol:

Complex little bugger, though - the French never could design anything simple, and once Ford reworks it, watch out. Warranty coverage will be key.

Also - driveline loss. The HAVE to address that - it's horrible with the current drivetrain. All those gains, only to be wasted as heat...

Bubba

You'll never have to worry about the stink. After 2007 emissions, and the yet more strict EPA requirements of 2010, you can almost breathe the exhaust coming out without a hint of diesel. A friend of mine is the head of a local bus department (school), and he went to International's show a few years ago out west, which previewed the "clean diesel" technology engines. They had a spokesperson sniffing the tailpipe to show the engine was that clean. I'm not sure I'd be there sniffing, but you get the jist.

As far as the 600lbs. of torque, I'll bet that number is exagerrated with a 275hp rating.

Justis01 10-11-2006 09:40 AM

Stinky, though - I never could get used to the smell of diesel - makes me wanna puke...
Ain't nothing like the smell of diesel and hot black coffee in the morning:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Smokewagun 10-11-2006 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Justis01
Ain't nothing like the smell of diesel and hot black coffee in the morning

I'll second that! :rocker: :thumbsup: :banana:

Sackett 10-11-2006 02:16 PM

I was going to say something about the French Diesel too, but someone beat me to it! I can't imagine the jokes Ford will receive with this.

As far as a 4V 5.4L, you'll end up with a quicker truck in the higher RPM range, but less grunt where you need it with a truck, down low.

Again, these are not "Race Trucks". If you want a fast, stock 1/2 ton, get a R/T 10.

From what i've read, the F-150 Deisel will probably get 2mpg better in the city and 4 mpg better on the highway. That, is nothing to write home about, especially when Deisel is running $.40/gallon more than gasoline where i'm at right now.

No thanks Ford, i'll stick with my Gasser for now.

MGDfan 10-11-2006 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sackett
I was going to say something about the French Diesel too, but someone beat me to it! I can't imagine the jokes Ford will receive with this.

Bon soir!

Mon ami!

Comprendez-vous Diesel-ette ( peppe la phew !) avec deux turbos ???

Wee-Wee!!!

Bon chance !!!

Hey, I may be Canadian, but my french is for crap :) Though, while you guys were pouring their wine in the sewer, we were drinkin' it!

Bubba

Sackett 10-11-2006 05:27 PM

Hey, I may be Canadian, but my french is for crap :) Though, while you guys were pouring their wine in the sewer, we were drinkin' it!

Not me. Although I think Texas makes better wine than the French, I would still not pour their wine down a sewer....unless I knew a Canadian was living in there ;)

Just for you Bubba, i'll post Ford's new marketing campain with the new F-150 Diesel:

"Non d'Oh ! C'est un camion d'amour de Chevy, je dois courir pendant ma vie et me cacher !"

fla.boy 10-11-2006 07:00 PM

As far as a 4V 5.4L, you'll end up with a quicker truck in the higher RPM range, but less grunt where you need it with a truck, down low.

Again, these are not "Race Trucks". If you want a fast, stock 1/2 ton, get a R/T 10.

From what i've read, the F-150 Deisel will probably get 2mpg better in the city and 4 mpg better on the highway. That, is nothing to write home about, especially when Deisel is running $.40/gallon more than gasoline where i'm at right now.

No thanks Ford, i'll stick with my Gasser for now.

when is ' LIGHTNING ' going to strike again? how long must we wait for the ' gen 3, lightning ' ? :coffee:

Josiah 10-12-2006 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Smokewagun
As far as the 600lbs. of torque, I'll bet that number is exagerrated with a 275hp rating.

I seriously doubt a 600tq diesel in a 1/2 ton. The powertrain has to reflect these numbers, everything would be huge if these were stock numbers. I call a huge bs on that one.

MGDfan 10-12-2006 07:41 AM

Not me. Although I think Texas makes better wine than the French, I would still not pour their wine down a sewer....unless I knew a Canadian was living in there ;)

Just for you Bubba, i'll post Ford's new marketing campain with the new F-150 Diesel:

"Non d'Oh ! C'est un camion d'amour de Chevy, je dois courir pendant ma vie et me cacher !"

Ahhhh - done wet myself agin !!! :lol:

Thanks for that ! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Bubba

MGDfan 10-12-2006 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Josiah
I seriously doubt a 600tq diesel in a 1/2 ton. The powertrain has to reflect these numbers, everything would be huge if these were stock numbers. I call a huge bs on that one.

Hi.

While that torque number may or may not be suspect ( perhaps more in the high 400 - low 500 range - see the link below), there's nothing really huge about a beefed 4R100 and a 10.25" rear end. Both are used on the F150 platform already. Add intelligent torque management, some beefed axles, brakes, etc and it 's doable. Agree it would weigh more.... but this engine is already motivating a Range Rover so the chassis stuff is not a show-stopper.

This link contains info for both the V6 & the 3.6L V8 diesels being proposed:
270 PS (266 hp/199 kW) and 640 N·m (472 ft·lbf).
http://www.answers.com/topic/jaguar-ajd-v6-engine

Cheers
Bubba

Josiah 10-12-2006 05:24 PM

Hi.

While that torque number may or may not be suspect ( perhaps more in the high 400 - low 500 range - see the link below), there's nothing really huge about a beefed 4R100 and a 10.25" rear end. Both are used on the F150 platform already. Add intelligent torque management, some beefed axles, brakes, etc and it 's doable. Agree it would weigh more.... but this engine is already motivating a Range Rover so the chassis stuff is not a show-stopper.

This link contains info for both the V6 & the 3.6L V8 diesels being proposed:
270 PS (266 hp/199 kW) and 640 N·m (472 ft·lbf).
http://www.answers.com/topic/jaguar-ajd-v6-engine

Cheers
Bubba

Right now our rear 9.75 is a great fit for our 5.4 3v and is able to hold up to what we've thrown at it. A 10.25 is just meeting the requirements imo...it's already in the hd package as well so I'm guessing we'll have yet another lug pattern (hopefully not the oddball 7lug pattern?). I would feel ok with forced induction on these 37's with my rear axle, and my tranny as long as I regeared so the stress was on the 9.75. Now pushing 600ft lbs of tq and an enlarged tire you're going to break something on a 10.25, just my opinion. How do you feel about pushing 600tq w/custom tune on oversized tires. In the superduty scene it's not a terribly bad idea, but I wouldnt' say the same here. We'll have to see, I just don't think 1/2ton running gear is meant to withstand that much, if they change it to where it does it's no longer a half ton.