2004 - 2008 F-150

3rd brake light replacement issues.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Have any pics?
No digital camera yet. However Recon has one in their gallary grey/smoke F150
Norm

Old 07-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
hey airborne its SUUUPPPPEEERRRR easy! I have no idea how these guys messed it up. If you get the Recon LED light all you have to do is take the (2) screws off the stock light and gently pull the wireharness until you see the clip where you can unclip if from the stock harness. Then do all these steps backwards and its done! VERY EASY!
I agree

Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 AM
hey airborne its SUUUPPPPEEERRRR easy! I have no idea how these guys messed it up. If you get the Recon LED light all you have to do is take the (2) screws off the stock light and gently pull the wireharness until you see the clip where you can unclip if from the stock harness. Then do all these steps backwards and its done! VERY EASY!
Just an FYI, I'm not an idiot and have done several mods to my truck and I also thought that this was a no brainer

I did everything I could do to CAREFULLY pull out the entire assembly and harness and make sure it didn't come loose. Obviously if the gosh darn connector was there I would have been done by now.

The LED I purchased was also a RECON.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:01 PM
In no way am I calling you an idiot. Im just stating how easy this is. There has to be a plug in your truck do replace the light's harness if it happens to short out. Its there!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:10 PM
In no way am I calling you an idiot. Im just stating how easy this is. There has to be a plug in your truck do replace the light's harness if it happens to short out. Its there!

ya think!?!?

I know you weren't calling me an idiot. This little plug and play mod makes my blood boil.

I'll let Ford tell me where the hell the harness is then.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:32 PM
The process itself is simple, but the fit is tight. You can do it. Open the rear window. Go into the truck bed and pull down the back of the headliner a little. Slide your hand in and give the wiring harness a good tug to unplug the old light. You should be able to see where the connector is through the holes. Use a screw driver to put the connector within reach. Plug in new light. Don't worry. It's self-guiding.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by rocky85
The process itself is simple, but the fit is tight. You can do it. Open the rear window. Go into the truck bed and pull down the back of the headliner a little. Slide your hand in and give the wiring harness a good tug to unplug the old light. You should be able to see where the connector is through the holes. Use a screw driver to put the connector within reach. Plug in new light. Don't worry. It's self-guiding.
So your saying, someone like myself that has a solid rear glass is SOL??

Old 07-24-2006, 05:16 PM
No. I just found it easier this way.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by rocky85
No. I just found it easier this way.

Might give it one more shot tonight. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the dealer.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Well I will probably give it a shot. To bad some people are having a hell of a time with it and some not. Well the drivers side install of the LT handles was a PITA and I was able to pull it off so I am sure I can figure it out. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones,thanks

Old 04-29-2014, 12:18 AM
light questions

i have a 1994 ford f150 i noticed that the third brake and reverse lights dont work but all other lights work perfectly i tried to take off third brake light fixture i removed the screws but i wont come off the cab and for the reverse lights i check wires they seem intact and okay
so any ideas

Old 04-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that a joke? Posting a question in an 8-year old thread that happens to be in the 2004-2008 F-150 forum. Great 1st post though.

Maybe give the pre-1997 forum a try

Old 10-04-2017, 06:33 PM
After market LED 3rd light

Oh man. Reading this post and re posts kinda makes me sick to my stomach. Haha! I just replaced all of my lights on the truck with tinted after markets and when I got to the 3rd light i seen no male connector. I thought "wow, that's nice" and just snipped the connector. I ended up just hard wiring the new light into the existing ones. Should work right? Well my white bed lights didn't work. Started checking circuits and wires... Found some existing shorts. Ended up saying screw it and just e went with no bed lights. Until the other day when I fixed a crack in the cheap-o- plastic cover and tried fixing it with clear silicone adhesive. Put it back on and let everything dry, and the Gods be so kind the thing stopped working all together. Good thing there wasn't a cliff near by.... Now i see I'm going to have to put the connector back on. Going to use solder this time to make sure things stay connected. But taking off the headliner, oh man.

I guess now would be the perfect time to install my tweeters I've been hanging over my rear seat belts haha.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Used twine to fish out harness plug and retain from falling into headliner

Gents,

I just finished changing out my 3rd brake light. I read this post and was having similar issues to getting plug all the way out of 1 inch circle holes. On my truck I tugged on the harness and got it free and got some slack to where I could see the plug through the right hole. I could not get the plug out of the hole to disconnect and reconnect. I had concern of the female plug disappearing into the truck after disconnecting so I fished a piece of twine into and around the wires that enter the female half of the plug and then tied a slip knot. I left 3 feet of twine as a tail to hang down the outside of the back window of my truck so that I would have a leash to retrieve the female end of it did disappear into the recess of the headliner.

With my twine leash installed I was able to gently work a little more slack and pull the entire plug out of the right 1 inch hole. I disconnected and pulled out the old brake light harness. I attached a second twine string to the male end of the new light harness and used that to fish from the center hole to the left hole and pull new male plug out and connect to the truck harness female plug. I op checked the lights with the help of my boy and reassembled.

As a side not - I left the piece of twine attached to the truck female harness and tucked it into the cab of the truck before screwing the new light housing onto truck incase I would need to access in the future.

Great forum - thanks gents

Old 07-04-2019, 12:24 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Apparently over many years and generations, F-150 trucks develope a leak at the 3rd brake light. There is now an OEM factory part, a lamp housing lens, which comes with a thicker gasket. There are also aftermarket foam rubber gaskets. And some people will buy aftermarket LED lights. I was under the impression that most guys solved the problem with a bead of silicone.

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light replacement issues.......