2004 - 2008 F-150

Josiah's 4wd Out of Commision Vid :(

Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Josiah's 4wd Out of Commision Vid :(

Unfortunately I'm having more problems than just a snapped rack. I can engage the truck in 4wd with no problem, hubs are engaged and the tcase locked the front driveshaft. Even when it's making the clunk you see in the video (which is extremely harsh in person, when my truck creaks I feel it), the shaft is still engaged and the cv axles seem to spin. I just realized I forgot to check whether or not the halfshafts are spinning when it's in 4wd but the front tires will not spin, definitely need to go out and try that.

When I get this clank it seems to pop out of 4wd but the dash indicates it's locked in, the cv's are unable to spin by hand and same goes for the front shaft, that all looks good. What I did notice that happens is the front axle seems to move up when stress is put on it, that was extremely odd. This could have started at Pismo, it was happening when I was being pulled by the H1. I would start the engine with only the crank spinning (no belt) and when doing so the front would make this exact sound. I've since put it into 4wd and do not recall this happening, but I know it's the same noise I heard then.

Here is the video, you can hear the clank and seems to happen when the front axle rises, possibly because the cv is not at a performable angle. I need to figure out why it's rising as well, the mounts look ok but a little loose at the moment. When I mounted the front diff/axle the mounts were like they're sitting now though, always looked a little angled. Can someone go out and check on their Fabtech lift (possibly Dave).

CV Clank Video.

I might take it in this time, it's tiring working on problem after problem on my own. Thanks for helping, thanks to you guys I don't feel quite so alone on the problems I run into.

Last edited by Josiah; 05-30-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounded painful...I would go check the front axle mount and take pictures for you but I dont have my truck . The dealer called me today but I wasnt home so I called them back and they didnt pick up. I will probably hear from them soon and find out how my truck is. I will check it out once I get my truck back and take pics for you if you still want them. Good Luck

Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 PM

Dave, good luck with your truck. Everything is prone to breaking when you start to modify, it's just so painfully pricey. I just remembered I forgot to mention the front diff is leaking onto the diff skid and bottom seal, but that might just be water from earlier. I need to set a white piece of paper on top while it sits and see if it drips. I'm hoping it's just the two mounts on top of the differential need to be tightened up so the diff doesn't raise, but then again that means when I do decide to crank the coilovers I'll only be able to raise them an inch tops than they are now. I'm sure this is not the problem because at the moment my coilovers are as uncranked as they can be, they won't even reach midway if this were the case. It's officially a street queen as it sits, if you can help me change that your opinion is very welcome.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:06 PM
You play you pay.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by jvernacchio
You play you pay.
he already did spend around 30K for his truck plus around 5K for the lift. Dont you think thats enough to handle a little play??

Old 05-30-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KiCk *** FX4
he already did spend around 30K for his truck plus around 5K for the lift. Dont you think thats enough to handle a little play??

Aparently not that type of play.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Off topic, Josiah, is that the flowmaster original 40, or super 40 muffler??

Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 AM

You guys crack me up. TX, it's the Flowmaster Single Chamber Racing Muffler. It's not street legal and they no longer sell it on their website. The 40 series are 2 chamber, look here for details. The single chamber is the loudest they offer[ed]. It's basically the 10 Series Delta Force Race seen on this page.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Suspended
Josiah, it sounds like its in your hubs. I had a VERY similiar noise if not exactly the same noise, and it was my right hub was ruined but they ended up replacing both sides. I also had a leaking front differential. . wierd.

I hope you get things squared away.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Josiah, it sounds like its in your hubs. I had a VERY similiar noise if not exactly the same noise, and it was my right hub was ruined but they ended up replacing both sides. I also had a leaking front differential. . wierd.

I hope you get things squared away.
If you can give me the printout of what Ford said they did to remedy the problem (i.e. replace both hubs, reseal housing, etc.). I think if you take it to the dealership they're supposed to tell you everything they touched, let me know. Thanks and I'll see if the hubs are working, it's definitely possible (vacuum leak in the hub causing it to engage/disengage).

Old 05-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Suspended
I'll try to scan the service sheet at work tomorrow. Its not very detailed, at all, though.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Josiah,
From just learning from you. When I do decide to start off roading. Oh wait i'm at a loss of words to the condition of your truck. I just can't say what I really want to say...........

Old 05-31-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Silver05
Josiah,
From just learning from you. When I do decide to start off roading. Oh wait i'm at a loss of words to the condition of your truck. I just can't say what I really want to say...........
What? That you're glad you dont have front hubs or CV axles (halfshafts) to break? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Man, I am in a weird mood lately!

Old 05-31-2006, 01:48 AM
Think this is what you were trying to find the words to say:

Originally Posted by Silver05
Josiah,
From just learning from you. When I do decide to start offroading I think need to stop spending money on tires and lift for my truck and I will actually buy a truck capable of offroading....I think its called fourwheel drive or something like that.

I am just kidding with you...you have one of the nicest Pollock 4wds of anybody I know.

Last edited by RamSS/T; 05-31-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 AM
SnowmaNick
Josiah, on a different note, what's up with Fabtech and the coilovers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Josiah's 4wd Out of Commision Vid :(