2004 - 2008 F-150

Dash growls when turning ignition on???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dash growls when turning ignition on???

Since the day i had my truck every time i start the truck after it sits when i turn the key to the all the way before starting it (when the air kicks on ect.) just above my cd changer in the dash towards the windshield, it growls and groans like my stomach if im hungry lol. I figured maybe it would go away but i am getting tired of it. What is doing it? I talked to another guy and he said he had the same thing on his 04 and something to do with the air conditioner but it does it in the winter on mine too. I had just thought it was my cd changer or something. Any ideas would be a great help.

Oh ya, it just had its first birthday yesterday...24,000 miles later

Old 05-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trytokeepup
Since the day i had my truck every time i start the truck after it sits when i turn the key to the all the way before starting it (when the air kicks on ect.) just above my cd changer in the dash towards the windshield, it growls and groans like my stomach if im hungry lol. I figured maybe it would go away but i am getting tired of it. What is doing it? I talked to another guy and he said he had the same thing on his 04 and something to do with the air conditioner but it does it in the winter on mine too. I had just thought it was my cd changer or something. Any ideas would be a great help.

Oh ya, it just had its first birthday yesterday...24,000 miles later

Mine does the same thing... never really bothered to find out what it was. It doesnt have anything to do with the A/C but it may have something to do with the vents in general.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by 91fast5ohh
Mine does the same thing... never really bothered to find out what it was. It doesnt have anything to do with the A/C but it may have something to do with the vents in general.
Hmm, its not a huge deal but yet it bugs me. Especially when a chebby guy gets in and looks at me like wtf.

I got exhaust so i wouldnt hear it but i still do...guess i need bigger speakers now

Old 05-19-2006, 05:53 PM
I had one doing the same thing, to fix it you will have to take it in and have the dash torn down so they can get into the heat and AC motor. The noise is the doors in the system that open and close to direct airflow out the vents or the defrost, annoying sound.

Old 05-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by gunner15
I had one doing the same thing, to fix it you will have to take it in and have the dash torn down so they can get into the heat and AC motor. The noise is the doors in the system that open and close to direct airflow out the vents or the defrost, annoying sound.
My AC isnt very cold either. Might as well get it charged. Hmm....i dont know about tearing the dash out..pry just open a can of worms for rattles and squeeks

Old 05-19-2006, 11:31 PM
mine does this too, sometimes accompanied by the ac system shutting down for a few seconds and then the ac display coming back on. but the grinding noise happens every other day or so and is the vents as stated above. super annoying

Old 05-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if it helps for your info my 05 does it. by selecting the source of air supply to the cab it makes the growl. not a problem till it stops growling. i think at that point its broke. just guessing since i havent had it apart, this is probably vacumn actuated motors and its the door that directs the air rubbing. the good thing if its non electric motors then the drag will not cause them to burn out.

Trending Topics

Old 05-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Suspended
Hmm, mine doesn't do it.

Where were all of your trucks built?

Old 05-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Mine does it as well. Going to take it in for my first oil change and have the dealer take a look at it. Was built in Kansas City.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Hmm, mine doesn't do it.

Where were all of your trucks built?
As if that has anything to do with it

Pretty certain you had your share of problems with your 04. This isnt a big deal, just annoying.

BTW...came outta Kansas City.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:43 PM
My 05 did this as well. It was getting worse and it also did it when I would change from one setting like defrost to something like feet. I took it in and they just greased the moving parts. It took about 15 minutes. They did not pull my dash apart. It has not done it since and it has almost been a year.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Suspended
Mine does it too! Guess I'll be taking it in now...

Old 05-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by trytokeepup
As if that has anything to do with it

Pretty certain you had your share of problems with your 04. This isnt a big deal, just annoying.

BTW...came outta Kansas City.
Whoa there killer, calm down. I wasn't rubbing it in your face, I was letting you know I didn't have the problem. It seems like the pattern is a lot of 2005s that came from the Kansas City Plant. I've been on this website for a while now and problems from these trucks tend to follow a pattern of year built and where they come from, Im just trying to help. .

Old 05-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Whoa there killer, calm down. I wasn't rubbing it in your face, I was letting you know I didn't have the problem. It seems like the pattern is a lot of 2005s that came from the Kansas City Plant. I've been on this website for a while now and problems from these trucks tend to follow a pattern of year built and where they come from, Im just trying to help. .
Sorry thump, didnt mean to be like that. Been a long week. I was in the middle of installing airbag suspension on our 2000 and the drivers side upper bracket was kicking my **** and i had to walk away for a while

Ahh, but im in a better mood now...lift is done, no leaks and the ride in INCREDIBLE....i swear it rides smoother than my 05. Looks like i might get airbags for my truck yet. It really seemed to take away the harsh bounces when you go over bridges and other bumps.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by cndcowboy
My 05 did this as well. It was getting worse and it also did it when I would change from one setting like defrost to something like feet. I took it in and they just greased the moving parts. It took about 15 minutes. They did not pull my dash apart. It has not done it since and it has almost been a year.
Do you know if there was a TSB on it?

Quick Reply: Dash growls when turning ignition on???