2004 - 2008 F-150

? for guys who did their own leather install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? for guys who did their own leather install?

how hard is it to do.what do i need to get?should i even attempt it?hints or suggestions appreciated.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:12 PM
You left out one important piece of information.

What are you installing?

Old 03-30-2006, 01:15 PM
I haven't done my truck, but I did recover my '69 Camaro, and I'm sure it's pretty much the same.

Get a big bag of Hog Rings, and a good set of Hog Ring pliers.

Let the covers sit in the sun for a few hours so they warm up and get soft and supple.

Try to get most of the wrinkles out while installing, and the rest usually come out after they have been on a few days.

A clean work surface, with plenty of cold beer on hand are two things that really help the job go smoothly.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by baja150
You left out one important piece of information.

What are you installing?
Sorry man... my bad. I only read the body and not the subject.

Can't help you either. I have no clue about this. Just wanted to apologize.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:46 PM
It's fairly easy, search for the threads with photos etc. on how to do it.

I took my seats out to do it, made it pretty easy (I was in air conditioning while doing it).

I wouldn't say it was fast. I think it took me about 2 hours to do the first seat, but you get faster as you do more of it.

If you don't have the fold down armrest in the back seat you'll have to do something about the leather seats with that area (various solutions usually involve an upholsterer and about $70)

Old 03-30-2006, 03:48 PM
I did mine and to be honest it wasnt that hard . Your hands will kill you afterwards but it will be worth it. The hardest part for me was cutting the leather for the seatbelt ....talk about nerve racking. Measure twice and cut once

Old 03-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by tritonblue
I did mine and to be honest it wasnt that hard . Your hands will kill you afterwards but it will be worth it. The hardest part for me was cutting the leather for the seatbelt ....talk about nerve racking. Measure twice and cut once
what do you mean cuttting? cut what ,don't they just slip over after you remove the original seat covers of course.

i was going to have them done at a local shop(2 tone for about 1200)but i might be able to save 500 if i do it myself.

Trending Topics

Old 03-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, let me try to clear this up. I purchased the covers off eBay . These covers are from a supercrew. I have a scab . On the scab you have the spools for the seatbelt and since these are not on the screw you would have to cut a hole in the cover to slip over the seat belt spool. Not a BIG deal ....just use caution ....

Old 03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Try searching for the write up that chrisadams did on this. The only thing I changed in the write up is you don't have to remove your seats in a scab. He did a reg. cab that is why he removed the seats. The write up is in a thread about "ebay leather" or "lets see you seats" something along this for the title.

If you're not in a rush do the seats that you don't need. This way you can take your time. There is also some hints on http://leatherseats.com/installation.asp .

I would remove the front seat bottoms and install the backs in the truck. Once you get going you will figure it out pretty easy. Just set down and read the post on installing them first before diving into it.

If you can't find the thread with the info in it post back and I'll locate it for you.

If you have not removed the rear seat look at that also, it can be a pain the first time at it.

Edit look in here I posted the links to information I used:https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...t=leather+done

Last edited by donniep3; 03-30-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Geting the rear seat out is probably the hardest part of the whole install. Just take your time you'll get them on.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by houtxstx
what do you mean cuttting? cut what ,don't they just slip over after you remove the original seat covers of course.
If you are getting the ebay Screw seats you will need to cut the seat back for the seatbelt. They do take the place of your cloth but have to be mod. to fit your seat config.

The aftermarket covers you have to cut all the other holes in them! You want to talk about nerve racking!! It is worth it to get a great set of seats for a fraction of the cost.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:24 PM
By far my favorite mod .......

Old 03-30-2006, 09:24 PM
????

will those Screw leather covers fit on a scab?

Old 03-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by travis08
will those Screw leather covers fit on a scab?
Yes, you have to modify the rear seat some and cut the holes in the front seat backs for the seat belts.

The rear seat you need someone to sew the armrest in and the bottom has to be made to fit. Some have had the seat cover shortened to fit. Then some have had foam added to the seat to take up the difference. The Scab is supposed to be about 1" shorter in the rear seat. There are a couple of post in here about this.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Basically what everyone else has said. I got the Ebay covers for my Screw. While in theory the install is simple, physically it gets taxing. I'd wear some surgical gloves to help save your hands. My hands got clobbered working around the seat frames and those edges are sharp. Take your time. Those hold down poles that are embedded in the foam can rip up if you're not careful. Don't force anything removing the old covers. Make sure what your pulling on is free and unattached from the seat foam. There is a lot of little fasteners holding those covers to the seats. I used zip ties instead of hog rings to install and secure my new covers. They were much easier to work with and was a great tip from someone on this board who had used them for his swap. Good luck and be patient.

Quick Reply: ? for guys who did their own leather install?